Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT-What is Your Current Favorite Bourbon and/or Whisk(e)y-OT

I'm currently on a bourbon kick. Again. (I've had tequila, rum and vodka kicks as well)  I love trying new ones, Even when I don't like them, I can use them in something (@YukonRon 's slushies) I got my hands on a bottle of that McKenna 10yr. I drank it and loved it. I was polite, gentle...very respectful, it still only lasted a week. I've tried for a month to get another bottle. Nothing. So I've sampled a few others I hadn't tried and my bourbon kick has been rekindled.

Also, who has had/has Pappy Van Winkle? Tell the truth, was it worth the price or did you wish you had saved your money and just got some Woodford? 
LBGE, PSWOO, 36" Blackstone, MasterBuilt smoke box- Playing with fire in Three Rivers, MI

My '23 & Me' said I'm 2/3 bacon and 1/3 Red Blooded American

USMC Veteran

Always do sober what you said you would drunk, that'll teach you to keep your mouth shut.  -EH

Comments

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Tough to commit to just one but I’m a fan of Blanton and Basil Hayden. Having said that there are literally a dozen others that I enjoy regularly. As far as scotch I am currently a fan of Lagavulin. Anything “highlands” is an easy drink though. The peaty ones like Lagavulin and Laphroig are not for everyone. I’ve only had a couple pours of Pappy. I won’t be going out to plop down hundreds for a bottle. Just not good enough to justify the cost at my pay grade. Most important is to drink what you enjoy. That could be a blended scotch or an inexpensive rye. The fun is the journey. Enjoy!
  • dharley
    dharley Posts: 377
    Tough to commit to just one but I’m a fan of Blanton and Basil Hayden. Having said that there are literally a dozen others that I enjoy regularly. As far as scotch I am currently a fan of Lagavulin. Anything “highlands” is an easy drink though. The peaty ones like Lagavulin and Laphroig are not for everyone. I’ve only had a couple pours of Pappy. I won’t be going out to plop down hundreds for a bottle. Just not good enough to justify the cost at my pay grade. Most important is to drink what you enjoy. That could be a blended scotch or an inexpensive rye. The fun is the journey. Enjoy!
    That's what I'm talking about, just current love so to speak. Not That Blanton or Basil are cheap but Elijah Craig is one of my favorites. As is, Monkey Shoulder, which the bottle claims a scotch and my tongue thinks the bottle is a liar. 

Thanks for the comment!
    LBGE, PSWOO, 36" Blackstone, MasterBuilt smoke box- Playing with fire in Three Rivers, MI

USMC Veteran

Always do sober what you said you would drunk, that'll teach you to keep your mouth shut.  -EH
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited July 2018
    My favorite is Four Roses Single Barrel. I have had a lot of Pappy, and I find it highly overrated. It is really good...but plenty of $40ish bottles just as good. 

I didn’t pay for the Pappy. There was a liquor store that sold it on Black friday. For two years in a row my brother would wait in line and buy several bottles for retail. He would keep some and ebay some and break even. So, I would drink his Pappy liberally without too much guilt. Don’t get me wrong...I enjoyed the hell out of it...but I like Four Roses single better. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Evan Williams Black Label. 
    I may sound weird to you worldly dudes, but when I fall in love with one brand, age, etc then I don't venture off the farm...
    Makers 46 is my choice neat, but here's my twist...it has to be very cold! 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,597
    edited July 2018
    I was a Makers Mark fan until they sold out overseas, switched to Buffalo Trace. 
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,597
     After touring the Four Roses distillery I was turned off, also owned by overseas companies 
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• A bottle of McKenna 10 lasted you a whole week? The restraint on this guy...

The last glass of Pappy I had (thanks to a forum member at Butt Blast who is the man!)...strong notes of vanilla on the front with cherries and oak on the finish. It really is fantastic in a category of its own. If I had the money I would have a bottle sitting around for any justifiable special occasion. 

But since my pockets aren’t deep enough...you can find some great bottles for under $50. 

Weller 12 (when you can find it), McKenna, Elijah Craig 12, Eagle Rare, 4 Roses Small Batch have been my go to recently. And I love some Bibb and Tucker or Whistle Pig. 

Then again, some days you just have to crack open a bottle of Wild Turkey, throw away the cork, and say damn to the consequences. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• nolaegghead
    Rebel Yell?
    edited July 2018
    Evan Williams Black Label. 
    @nolaegghead   troglodyte!  ;) I will confess that floating around my garage in some deep dark corner I could probably dig up a handle of George Dickel White Label. 

You know what they say, “a lil Dickel do you right”

ugh. Rebel Yell. We drank that at UT. Like $8-10 a bottle. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,629
    Laphroig or Lagavulin

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    edited July 2018
    A bottle of McKenna 10 lasted you a whole week? The restraint on this guy...

My bottle has only had one drink poured out of it in a couple months. Heck, I think we still have liquor from our wedding 7yrs ago. 
  • @ColtsFan I don’t know why you’re complaining about that cleanse. 

That Bookers will burn through you like a scalded dog. You may need that jus just to run a diagnostic and see if you’ve sprung a leak!

South of Nashville, TN

• Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Just finished my bottle of 4 roses however, my normal go to is woodford.

I always check the bourbon aisle when I find myself in the ABC store to see if they have anything interesting. 
    Greensboro, NC
  • My bottle has only had one drink poured out of it in a couple months. Heck, I think we still have liquor from our wedding 7yrs ago. 
    @DoubleEgger I’m going to start sending the miscreants that hang out over here to your place (myself included)

South of Nashville, TN

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    @Wolfpack - nice collection right there.  And that rye will definitely give you a different profile.  On a related note, I would be interested in your assessment of the Jeffersons.  Just tell it like you taste it- In advance, thanks!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Not a fan- I have tried it several times and there is something in the finish I don’t care for. 

Greensboro, NC
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    I always drink larceny. Best around for the money. 
  • dharley
    Rebel Yell?
    I'll heavily disagree. I thought you were joking about the EW Black, but folks like what the they like. Rebel Yell is horrible. Like they mixed a pint of well whisky and a pint of well vodka and called it Rebel Yell. I really hope you are playing.

Aside from that, I enjoy all of you food posts. They are inspiring and you, sir, have serious skills.

USMC Veteran

• CigarCityEgger
    CigarCityEgger Posts: 2,109
    Just started getting into bourbon a couple years ago. My go to is buffalo trace for the price. The Henry McKenna is very good as well. I’ve also got a Basil Hayden, Knob creek single barrel in the arsenal. 

Never had Pappy’s but would love to try it one day. 
  • dharley
    Wolfpack said:
    Just finished my bottle of 4 roses however, my normal go to is woodford.

I always check the bourbon aisle when I find myself in the ABC store to see if they have anything interesting. 
    That is beautiful. Could you tell me what you think of that Taylor when you crack it?
    For science of course.

USMC Veteran

• KGilma2018
    KGilma2018 Posts: 120
    Finished a bottle of whistlepig rye last week... working on a bottle of Elijah Craig small batch now.  
    Franklin, TN
  • nolaegghead
    dharley said:
    Rebel Yell?
    I'll heavily disagree. I thought you were joking about the EW Black, but folks like what the they like. Rebel Yell is horrible. Like they mixed a pint of well whisky and a pint of well vodka and called it Rebel Yell. I really hope you are playing.

Aside from that, I enjoy all of you food posts. They are inspiring and you, sir, have serious skills.

I'm joking.  I wouldn't try that swill if someone held a gun to my head.

But EW Black is my daily drinker.  It's the perfect balance of whiskey when mixed in a can (no ice, ruins it) Coke Zero.  Anything else just tastes weird to me.

lousubcap said:
    @Wolfpack - nice collection right there.  And that rye will definitely give you a different profile.  On a related note, I would be interested in your assessment of the Jeffersons.  Just tell it like you taste it- In advance, thanks!

I'm only butting in because it's my post. A friend of mine have a tasting session every New Years Eve. We were soo excited for the Jefferson. We did not enjoy it. We tried again and again. every get together. Still the same. Kerosene.

USMC Veteran

• Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    My bottle has only had one drink poured out of it in a couple months. Heck, I think we still have liquor from our wedding 7yrs ago. 
    @DoubleEgger I’m going to start sending the miscreants that hang out over here to your place (myself included)
    I’m in. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • bubbajack
    bubbajack Posts: 1,088
    Bulleit Bourbon for me, everyday. Orange label!
    I drink cheap beer so I can afford good bourbon.

Salisbury, NC...... XL,Lx3,Mx2,S, MM, Mini BGE, FireDisc x2. Blackstone 22", Offset smoker, weber kettle 22"

• Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    I'm not very knowledgeable about bourbon, but I've had several, and I'm surprised that no one has mentioned Bulleit, which I like better than several that have been raved about here.  I also like Eagle Rare as a nice change, might be my second favorite, but I keep trying other things and keep coming back to Bulleit.  The rest of you guys don't think much if it, I guess?
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    One of my personal favorites. Especially after a good shave. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out.