Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT-What is Your Current Favorite Bourbon and/or Whisk(e)y-OT

Options

Comments

• MotownVol
    MotownVol Posts: 1,040
    Options
    I drink a little bourbon but never the good stuff.  Woodford is about the best stuff I ever buy, but I don't think a thing about dropping $20 in a 4 pack of a great stout or porter.  I absolutely love the dark beers and probably consume way too much.
    Morristown TN, LBGE and Mini-Max.
  • dharley
    dharley Posts: 377
    edited August 2018
    Options
    MotownVol said:
    I drink a little bourbon but never the good stuff.  Woodford is about the best stuff I ever buy, but I don't think a thing about dropping $20 in a 4 pack of a great stout or porter.  I absolutely love the dark beers and probably consume way too much.
    That could/should be its own thread. I drink IPA's & wheats all summer. As soon as the temp drops below 60, I'm all about stouts and porters. I live in SW Michigan. It is a micro/craft brew haven. Founders, Bells, Arcadia, New Holland, and twenty smaller brewers. I have twelve KBS bottles aging. I love Dragons Milk, Vanilla Java Porter, Founders Breakfast Stout, almost any oatmeal stout. 
    LBGE, PSWOO, 36" Blackstone, MasterBuilt smoke box- Playing with fire in Three Rivers, MI

My '23 & Me' said I'm 2/3 bacon and 1/3 Red Blooded American

USMC Veteran

Always do sober what you said you would drunk, that'll teach you to keep your mouth shut.  -EH
  • MotownVol
    MotownVol Posts: 1,040
    Options
    Unfortunately temperature doesn't impact me.  Was in Florida last week and just happened to walk past several 4 packs of Founders Breakfast Stout, so a day later they were history. 
    Morristown TN, LBGE and Mini-Max.
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,338
    Options
    Changed my mind.

I like them all. 
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• dharley
    Options
    ColtsFan said:
    Changed my mind.

I like them all. 
    Ho. Lee. Sh!t. Like a Hall of Fame induction ceremony.
    LBGE, PSWOO, 36" Blackstone, MasterBuilt smoke box- Playing with fire in Three Rivers, MI

USMC Veteran

Always do sober what you said you would drunk, that'll teach you to keep your mouth shut.  -EH
  • FrostyEgg
    FrostyEgg Posts: 583
    Options
    I like to mix it up. For cocktails, Evan Williams hands down. For neat pours, Buffalo Trace, Bulleit regular and rye, Makers, Woodford, and Henry McKenna 10yr thanks to this forum.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options
    Never have had Whistle Pig so excluding that option I would go with Blanton's followed by Eagle Rare.  But "All" is quite a great choice.  After all, they didn't end up on the block by accident.  ;)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,338
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    Never have had Whistle Pig so excluding that option I would go with Blanton's followed by Eagle Rare.  But "All" is quite a great choice.  After all, they didn't end up on the block by accident.  ;)
    That Buffalo Trace and Eagle Rare is sure hard to beat as an everyday pour. 
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• 11Longhorns11
    Options
    Having traveled and done the bourbon thing for a while I would that any of these would be an excellent buy when you can find them:

Stagg Jr
    IW Harper 15 yr. (my personal favorite)
    Any Weller you can get
    all the Taylors
    Barterhouse
    Michters (almost any of them)

The list could go on but it would depend on the price point.
    XL BGE, Vermont Castings gasser

Texan that lives in Winston Salem, NC

God, Family, Texas Football         We Don’t Rent Pigs
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,615
    Options
    Any Weller and all the Taylors.  Yep, I like you after two posts.
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Is it wet? Is it here? OK, done.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,615
    Options
    DMW said:
    Is it wet? Is it here? OK, done.
    What was the house pour on your friend’s jet?
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    dharley said:
    I tried some of this recently and it was pretty awesome:

The Farmstock is $89 in Atlanta.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    Whistle Pig 10 year old is very nice, still not cheap though. I've not tried the higher end Whistle Pig, just had a look and they do go up to quite a price.
  • Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Options
    JRWhitee said:
    dharley said:
    I tried some of this recently and it was pretty awesome:

The Farmstock is $89 in Atlanta.
    £90 here in the UK ($120).
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    I don't think the higher priced Whistle Pigs are worth the difference. 

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • GoldenQ
    GoldenQ Posts: 566
    Options
    I have tried many different ones over the years but keep coming back too Early Times black label and 1836.   I like the 1836 best when I can find it.  
    I XL  and 1 Weber Kettle  And 1 Weber Q220       Outside Alvin, TX-- South of Houston
  • GoldenQ
    GoldenQ Posts: 566
    Options
    Correction thats 1835 not 36 I mistyped
    I XL  and 1 Weber Kettle  And 1 Weber Q220       Outside Alvin, TX-- South of Houston
  • WalrusBBQ
    WalrusBBQ Posts: 153
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Jefferson's Reserve Ocean or Blantons

------------
    Beers & BBQ

• Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Batch #02 is excellent.  Pennsyltucky Corn, Midnight Moon Corn, Thistle Finch Unaged Rye, Everclear Corn.  Aged the equivalent of 4 years in a medium char, new oak barrel.  Charcoal filtered four times.  Diluted to 100 Proof and bottled.  Custom made stopper using a replica 1933 (the year Prohibition was repealed) Double Eagle $20 Gold coin.

Options
    Hard to decide.....

• dharley
    Options
    Hard to decide.....

I friend of mine keeps a bottle of that Fighting **** on hand to serve to people he doesn't like. "Want a drink?", pours three fingers of something nice for himself and three fingers of The **** for his unwanted guest. He believes in the simple pleasures.

USMC Veteran

• GrateEggspectations
    Options
    dharley said:
    Hard to decide.....

I friend of mine keeps a bottle of that Fighting **** on hand to serve to people he doesn't like. "Want a drink?", pours three fingers of something nice for himself and three fingers of The **** for his unwanted guest. He believes in the simple pleasures.
    Believe it or not, despite the garish label, I like the FC. Have six or seven bottles of it in the cellar. 
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Tonight, Bulleit.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,945
    Options
    Legume said:
    Nice - the Sex Panther of whiskeys.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • ScottStern
    Options
    Been liking Rowan's Creek a lot lately.  And of course Whistle Pig and Breckenridge
  • Powak
    Powak Posts: 1,391
    Options
    dharley said:

bubbajack said:
    Bulleit Bourbon for me, everyday. Orange label!
    I'm drinking the green (rye) now. It's delicious.

Note: I drink all whiskey with the three cubes, three fingers pour.

Excellent rye
  • HoosierBBQ
    HoosierBBQ Posts: 111
    Options
    Not a lot I don’t like but...

i have no problem doing WR or Makers if I just want a decent consistent pour.

Love Willett products

Eagle Rare and Elijah Craig have been solid “daily” drinks in my rotation at times.

My favorite cheap bourbon was the Heaven Hill 6 year. Good flavor and used to be able to get it for $10 in Indiana. Don’t think it’s available in Florida.
    Grilling year round in Orlando, FL on a large BGE & Santa Maria
  • Grillinois
    Options
    I’m in Louisville on a bourbon hunt and they have this at the hotel bar. Holy amazeballs!
    Joliet, IL
    Large, Mini, Stoker, Smobot