Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rodney Scott

Options
Carolina Q
Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
This is how you make barbecue! Dude works HARD for a livin', but that's some fine lookin' 'que! Bucket list for sure.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39ii9LvnDoE
This a two year old video. Not sure how (or IF) he manages to run both this place and the fancy place in Charleston.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
Central Connecticut 

Comments

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,765
    Options
    Watched this several; times,great video
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    this guy changed my bbq life in a parking lot in Houston TX. Only got 2 bites but it was enough. I'm a huge fan. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    great video! I can tell you that we we saw him at Southern Smoke in Houston, he was the hardest working pitmaster in the bunch. Everyone else had these awesome pits and Rodney had his burn barrel, and and open pit with wire mesh on top. He was shoveling his own coals, mopping, flipping, all of it. He didn't have time to talk to anyone when they started serving- he was working that pit like rented mule. Mad respect and killer bbq. He is where I learned it's all about the vinegar with pork. So subtle but such a big part of it. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Options
    Enjoyed that immensely. Thanks for posting!
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    great video! I can tell you that we we saw him at Southern Smoke in Houston, he was the hardest working pitmaster in the bunch. Everyone else had these awesome pits and Rodney had his burn barrel, and and open pit with wire mesh on top. He was shoveling his own coals, mopping, flipping, all of it. He didn't have time to talk to anyone when they started serving- he was working that pit like rented mule. Mad respect and killer bbq. He is where I learned it's all about the vinegar with pork. So subtle but such a big part of it. 
    After watching this, I'm guessing Southern Smoke was like a vacation for him! :)  

I've never mopped a pork butt, just rub, set it on the grid and come back when it's done. Rodney pokes and prods, seasons and mops while it's cooking. Think I'll try that next time.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    Options
    this guy changed my bbq life in a parking lot in Houston TX. Only got 2 bites but it was enough. I'm a huge fan. 
    I've had more than two bite, but I am not to proud to get in line twice.

Also, the way he built a cinder block pit in that parking lot inspired the lamb pit at BCI (though those results did not stand up to the inspiration).

I've eaten his away game hog.. Now I need to see his home game game.
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX
  • 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    Options
    The guy that was helping him is a local BBQ guy, Patrick Feges.  He and his wife recently opened their own place in Greenway Plaza (Houston), and he does a great job (also a vet, FWIW).

Worth adding to your Houston tour:
    https://www.fegesbbq.com/about-us-2/
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    After watching this, I'm guessing Southern Smoke was like a vacation for him! :)  

I've never mopped a pork butt, just rub, set it on the grid and come back when it's done. Rodney pokes and prods, seasons and mops while it's cooking. Think I'll try that next time.
    Showing my state a little love today I see ;)  My brother is a moper actually. He makes a vinegar based mix and mops probably about every hour on his. Its good for that style of Que. Its all good.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • CornfedMA
    CornfedMA Posts: 491
    Options
    Had the pleasure of sharing a few drinks with a Rodney at an event in South Carolina a few years ago, after all the food was served. Great guy and his biggest piece of advice to improve your ‘que was to cook for people that’ll give you honest feedback and don’t be afraid of the heat...the man is definitely bbq royalty. 
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    That video is great.  That's only 8 hours from me, and I wanna jump in the car right now!
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95