Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - OT - OT OT 2018 World Cup, Who ya got? If you even care OT - OT - OT - OT

Comments

• The_Stache
    The_Stache Posts: 1,153
    Foghorn said:
    Early red card screwed Columbia!!!
    Are you saying it wasn't warranted?  I'm wondering is your use of the word "screwed" suggests that you think it was unjust.
    Questionable call that early in the game but it was reviewed and upheld...

Just saying that Columbia's play and the subsequent red card / removal of the 11th player played into Columbia's loss.

Kirkland, TN
    2 LBGE, 1 MM

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352
    I'd put $1,000 on Brazil and another on Germany.  Thank me later.
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,795
    I still think that putting $1000 on the field against Brazil is the easiest money ($200 or so) you can make.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    HeavyG said:
    Foghorn said:
    CPFC1905 said:
    Foghorn said:
    While i appreciate the international coming together soccer creates, i just cant get into it.  Counting down the days til college and nfl football kickoff....
    @westernbbq, I used to be a huge US sports fan - especially college basketball.  However, at this point I can't stand all the commercials.  I'll take 45 minutes of watching soccer, then a 15 minute halftime to use the restroom and get another beverage, then watch 45 more minutes of soccer - every time.
    Try cricket.  Up to five days drinking interspersed with some polite contest. 
    Yeah, cricket to me is like soccer is to most Americans.  I don't "get it".  Although I'm pretty sure that with some exposure/study I could.  And would.  

"Real cricket" - those all day, multi-day events will never catch on in the US. Catch a T20 match sometime. It's a much shorter (timewise) format more suited to American attention spans. Each match is about as long as an American baseball game.

I'd love to see the US start a league equivalent to the Aussie Big Bash Leagues (male & female).

I hear on the commercials.   I actually attend high school football games around here and they are really fun to watch
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    I also enjoy rugby....
  • CPFC1905
    CPFC1905 Posts: 1,849
    I also enjoy rugby....
    Unlike most of us England fans, following their 5 consecutive defeats :s 
    Other girls may try to take me away 
    But you know, it's by your side I will stay
  • thetrim
    F’in Ronaldo 
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • thetrim
    Iran played it pretty tough today. I noticed they have many female fans in the stands.  I’m not quite sure why the mullah would want to keep them all covered up?  #BanTheBurkah
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,110
    thetrim said:
    F’in Ronaldo 

Pepes dive was even more dramatic
    XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • Foghorn
    Yeah, yesterday was not one of the more exciting days in World Cup history.

Every game was 1-0.  No upsets.  All 3 goals for the day were scored by a usual suspect.  Two of the 3 goalscorers are d-bags.  (some would include Ronaldo).

Did anyone else have mixed thoughts when Spain played Portugal and Costa "hit" Pepe and Pepe went down prior to Costa scoring?  I was hoping the ref would call it back and redcard both of them for the good of the sport.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• CPFC1905
    I would introduce a 'grow-up, you are embarrassing yourself' card.  Possibly also a 'just because you deserve it' card.  

Coincidentally, I have long advocated body-worn video for referees. I think the audio feed would be a revelation.  
  • Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    In other important news, England 4-0 up in the one day series against Australia.
  • Foghorn
    edited June 2018
    Does anyone else appreciate the irony in the fact that the Italians are not present for the first World Cup with VAR?  Seeing them argue with calls made based on replay and great camera angles would be priceless.  

San Antonio, TX

• thetrim
    I’m gals I’m not an ArgenTina fan right now. Us Germans may be feeling the same way Saturday afternoon. 
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Foghorn
    Apparently Argentina is not very deep at the goalkeeper position...

San Antonio, TX

• The_Stache
    Foghorn said:
    Apparently Argentina is not very deep at the goalkeeper position...
    They should have substituted him OUT!!!
    Kirkland, TN
    2 LBGE, 1 MM

• CPFC1905
    Whatever happens in the rest of the competition, we can all bask in the glory of  the cheating Argies getting stuffed.  Never has a 3-0 been more deserved by a thoroughly unlikable team.   Absolutely wonderful to see the arch-cheat Maradonna there drinking in the humiliation.  
    Iceland winning today and then playing out a dead rubber draw with Croatia next week sees them go home.  Marvellous.  Less hand of God, more hand of cod.
  • Foghorn
    While I did enjoy that game, I don’t think of the current Argentine players as cheaters.  

When I think of players that I don’t want to see winning the World Cup - Pepe, Suarez, and Diego Costa are at the top of the list. 

San Antonio, TX

• thetrim
    I'm really nervous for the German game tomorrow.  I'm just not sure this crop of players had the traditional German grit that gets them to at least the semis of every major tournament.
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    thetrim said:
    I'm really nervous for the German game tomorrow.  I'm just not sure this crop of players had the traditional German grit that gets them to at least the semis of every major tournament.
    I don’t know if it is grit they’re lacking, or if the bigger issue was team selection and tactics.  If there going to push 8 men forward they need mids with the speed to backtrack.  I think Khedira is supposed to be that guy, but he looked really slow against Mexico.

I also think that they’re likely to do better in the knockout stages (assuming they get there) where they’ll play stronger teams that will try to play against them, and not sit back, hold a defensive form and then try to hit them on the counter.

Remember, even in 2014 they weren’t that impressive in group either, they tied Ghana and the US hung tough and lost 1-0.  Everyone remembers how they dismantled Brazil, but they weren’t that impressive in the group then either.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• Foghorn
    They were impressive against Portugal in their first game in 2014. I was there. 

With that said, including Leroy Sane is looking like it may have been a good idea. 

San Antonio, TX

• Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Foghorn said:
    They were impressive against Portugal in their first game in 2014. I was there. 

With that said, including Leroy Sane is looking like it may have been a good idea. 
    Fair enough, but they still have plenty of time to put up an impressive performance in either of their last two games as well, but I stand by my point that they weren’t that great in the group in 14.

I agree that Sane would be nice to have; especially if the theme of the groups continues to be “Defend and expect an elite player to conjure a goal” - be it Ronaldo, Pogba, Coutinho, etc.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Can't wait.  After being out of town last weekend, and working all week, tomorrow I'm doing nothing but watching all three games live.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• CPFC1905
    So Iceland let me down and have allowed 'the despicables' a chance.  That said, Nigeria have under performed recently and Iceland aren't all that, really.

What happened to Serbia?  I thought they had it in the bag.  Shaqiri is a curious little chap - but he's done the job.  Brazil v Serbia will be a crunch match. Were it being played 'on a rainy Tuesday night in Stoke'  (Google it), Serbia would be clear favourites.  But it isn't, so they're not. 

I would like Germany and S Korea to both win one-nil.  Just because it will satisfy my inner neat-freak and make the table look more orderly.  
    I don't see Germany faltering, but today's performance will indicate how far they can go. Sweden will be stubborn, but are beatable.  Anything other than a win will bring on enormous anxiety, which is a rare experience for 'ze-Germans' as Jason Statham would say (YouTube it - but not in the office or near young ears).

We'll see how good the Tunisian's actually are tonight.  If they get demolished, it makes England's chances look slim.  Perhaps VAR will be fully operable in this match and Belgium will run out handsome winners on the back of several penalties for WWE style moves at corners!  Ref should check behind the goal for folded chairs, planks of wood etc etc.
  • Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    CPFC1905 said:
    So Iceland let me down and have allowed 'the despicables' a chance.  That said, Nigeria have under performed recently and Iceland aren't all that, really.

What happened to Serbia?  I thought they had it in the bag.  Shaqiri is a curious little chap - but he's done the job.  Brazil v Serbia will be a crunch match. Were it being played 'on a rainy Tuesday night in Stoke'  (Google it), Serbia would be clear favourites.  But it isn't, so they're not. 

I would like Germany and S Korea to both win one-nil.  Just because it will satisfy my inner neat-freak and make the table look more orderly.  
    I don't see Germany faltering, but today's performance will indicate how far they can go. Sweden will be stubborn, but are beatable.  Anything other than a win will bring on enormous anxiety, which is a rare experience for 'ze-Germans' as Jason Statham would say (YouTube it - but not in the office or near young ears).

We'll see how good the Tunisian's actually are tonight.  If they get demolished, it makes England's chances look slim.  Perhaps VAR will be fully operable in this match and Belgium will run out handsome winners on the back of several penalties for WWE style moves at corners!  Ref should check behind the goal for folded chairs, planks of wood etc etc.
    Stoke player goes for world cup glory. What's not to like?
  • thetrim
    Let's Go Germany!
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • CPFC1905
    Some good articles here; https://www.theplayerstribune.com/en-us 
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Belgium looking good.  Their backline looks suspect at times, but dayum, that offense.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• TideEggHead
    TideEggHead Posts: 1,338
    That Belgium game this morning was certainly fun to watch!
    LBGE
    AL
  • The_Stache
    That Belgium game this morning was certainly fun to watch!
    The last goal by Tunisia was pretty unexpected but overall a GREAT action filled game to watch!
    Kirkland, TN
    2 LBGE, 1 MM