Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Half Ton Of Meat

Options
CTMike
CTMike Posts: 3,247
Doing brisket and pulled pork for 1000 people today. Company cafeteria is doing the sides. A friend graciously loaned me his 24x60 SF to help out. 

500 lbs each of brisket and butt getting ready to hit the smoke:

MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
Southeastern CT. 

Comments

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

That sure is a purdy site.  All the best with your cook.

Phoenix 
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,346
    Options
    Now I know why the meat counter at the grocery store was empty last night.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Stubby
    Stubby Posts: 134
    Options
    Hell of a set up... looks like a busy day.. Have fun.
    XL.......for now

Kernersville, NC
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Love it.  Those are 1,000 lucky people.  
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,948
    Options
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Wow Mike. I would wish you good fortune with your cook, but I know you will be killing it.
    This is impressive my friend. Very impressive.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,835
    Options
    Oh heck yeah. Knock it out of the park. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options

very cool!

XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    A pound per person precooked! Put on the feed bag! Yes sir! Good luck!
  • Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    Options
    At 45 minutes per pound that's 45,000 minutes or 750 hours, which is 31 days.  You better get going!

• kindaquick14
    Options
    WOW.  I hope you got some BBQ helpers for the slicing and dicing of that pile.  I think my arm would fall off if I had to cut that much up.  Good luck with it!!!
    Columbus, OH - XL BGE and Medium BGE
  • CTMike
    Options
    We have a small army of volunteers to help with slicing and pulling. 
    MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • CTMike
    Options
    Last year we did 800 lbs and ran out because people were piling brisket on their plate, not thinking about their friends and coworkers. 

So we upped to 1,000 lbs this year and the cafeteria folks are doing portion control. 

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,760
    Options
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,341
    Options
    As has been said, you've got this but still quite an undertaking.  I'm sure the meat supplier had quite a smile when you left with the order.  
    Enjoy the recovery once this is over.  Hope the weather gods are smiling on you.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    CTMike said:
    Last year we did 800 lbs and ran out because people were piling brisket on their plate, not thinking about their friends and coworkers. 

So we upped to 1,000 lbs this year and the cafeteria folks are doing portion control. 
    Gotta love it. Just heap it on there fella! LOL. Enjoy your hard work, I know you will. 
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    Dude! You’re a machine. That’s awesome. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• mlc2013
    mlc2013 Posts: 988
    Options
    Absolutey amazing. I’m truly impressed
    Long Island NY    
    1 XL BGE 12/17, 1 LG BGE 3/18, 1 MM BGE 3/18
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Ho. Lee. Chit. You can do 1000 lbs of meat on 2 Shirley Fabs? You, sir,  are a madman. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • CTMike
    Options
    Ho. Lee. Chit. You can do 1000 lbs of meat on 2 Shirley Fabs? You, sir,  are a madman. 
    36 of 40 briskets fit on my 30x80, the other four were in the warmer of the smaller one. We stuffed 50 of 72 butts on the 3 racks of the small one. The remaining butts went on once some of the others were finished.

Once they had some color everything was foiled to speed the finish. 

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,961
    edited June 2018
    Options
    CTMike said:
    36 of 40 briskets fit on my 30x80, the other four were in the warmer of the smaller one. We stuffed 50 of 72 butts on the 3 racks of the small one. The remaining butts went on once some of the others were finished.

wow. very impressive. nerdy question but what are you doing the industrial amounts of fat and liquid from that cook? (you don't have to answer if it incriminates you in any way) :smiley:  

how did you guys hold together during service?
  • XC242
    XC242 Posts: 1,208
    Options
    That’s way cool!!!
    LBGE (still waitin' for my free T-Shirt), DIgiQ DX2 (In Blue, cause it's the fastest), Heavy Duty Kick Ash Basket, Mc Farland, WI. :glasses:  B)
    If it wasn't for my BGE I'd have no use for my backyard...
  • RalphieBoy
    RalphieBoy Posts: 131
    Options
    Did all of that fit on your large and adjustable rig. Slow cooked?
    Large, Small, Mini Max & Mini.
    Wishlist XXL, XL & Medium 
  • buzzvol
    buzzvol Posts: 534
    Options
    Wow!!
    More photos?  Please tell us there are more photos!
    Lawrenceville, GA
  • CTMike
    Options
    CTMike said:

wow. very impressive. nerdy question but what are you doing the industrial amounts of fat and liquid from that cook? (you don't have to answer if it incriminates you in any way) :smiley:  

The company provided a 30 gal drum for grease. 

We didn’t have to serve, the company had managers and above volunteer to serve. This was an employee appreciation picnic. 

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • CTMike
    Options

buzzvol said:
    Wow!!
    More photos?  Please tell us there are more photos!
    I should get photos from the company photog next week and will update then. 

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Mike, hats off my friend. That is spectacular. 
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    CTMike said:
    CTMike said:

The company provided a 30 gal drum for grease. 

We didn’t have to serve, the company had managers and above volunteer to serve. This was an employee appreciation picnic. 
    Nice. Did you fill that bucket?
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    Slicing the finished product is nothing, compared to trimming them out of the cryo.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."