Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - I’m done with Sous Vide

DoubleEgger
DoubleEgger Posts: 17,127
I’ve never really been a fan of the SV except for warming leftovers. I use it infrequently for a couple of specialty items. I decided to make some chocolate pots this afternoon. After doing all of the prep, the Annova crapped out and started flashing random numbers. Tried unplugging it a few times only to return to the same BS. Went to Annova’a website for troubleshooting but that was a joke. Nothing more than call us Mon -Fri etc. I bet I didn’t use that dang thing 20 times. Tossed the ingredients in the trash. I’m not a happy camper right now. No way I’m tossing another $150 down that rabbit hole. 

Comments

• Sorry man. You done with Sous Vide or anova? 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    That sucks.
    I had issues with my first 2 Anovas. This was back when they wete local in west Houston. I asked if i could drop it off for them to look at and was told no. You must ship it the 2 miles from my office to their office.lol
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • DoubleEgger
    Sorry man. You done with Sous Vide or anova? 
    Both. SV is more trouble than it’s worth especially when I don’t like SV protein. I can reheat BBQ in a pot of water. 
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Interesting to read, and thank you.  I've been semi-interested, but never keen enough to pull the trigger.  Now I guess I'll stick with what I've got... pressure cooker, slow cooker, etc.  Others may differ, but that's OK.
  • DoubleEgger
    The Bluetooth never worked. Called customer service and got the run around. Realized that Bluetooth was a waste and never pursued it. 
  • DoubleEgger
    When you are making the panty droppers and Anova decides to coc_ block you... 

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,945
    edited June 2018
    Both. SV is more trouble than it’s worth especially when I don’t like SV protein. I can reheat BBQ in a pot of water. 
     I thought I was the only one.  SV'd protein does not do it for me at all.  Prefer it all done on the BGE, method depends on protein.

I like SV for eggs, creme brule, and reheating meat.

BTW, thanks for sharing your misfortune.  I will get my SV running now before I mix ingredients.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,871
    So... no more pots?  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • DoubleEgger
    edited June 2018
     I thought I was the only one.  SV'd protein does not do it for me at all.  Prefer it all done on the BGE, method depends on protein.

BTW, thanks for sharing your misfortune.  I will get my SV running now before I mix ingredients.
    Mine was running for over an hour beforehand. It decided to crap out while I was adding the eggs to the mix. 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,945

Mine was running for over an hour beforehand. It decided to crap out while I was adding the eggs to the mix. 
     Well that sucks!  Only solution is a backup.  Kind of like a sump pump.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Sucks man.  You only have bad luck.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Sorry to hear that your ANOVA is a-never, that’s not good. 
    Steaks and chops, seared in a CI, brief sear just for colour, in the SV and then finish sear when ready to eat guarantees a great steak. Prime rib is excellent if put on the egg at low as you can go with some smoke, until the outside drys, and IT is below 100º, then into the SV and finish blast either on the egg or in CI before serving. 

What is it you didn’t like about SV protein?
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • DoubleEgger
    I don’t like the texture of SV steaks, chops, and chicken. 
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Sorry to read your frustration as well as others comments. My ANOVA is the basic dumb one with no bluetooth crap and it works like charm. Just like my 17 year old Food Saver - model 1050. No fancy bells and whistles just draws down the air and then seals, while others here have had many issues.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    All good to know. Sounds like issues with product AND customer service. If they hadn't been sold out, I would have bought one last week for Target's $38, but only because it was so cheap. Just as well, apparently.

I have a 40+ year old crock pot and a $25 digital temp controller which works pretty well for SV (assuming what I'm cooking will fit in the pot). But I rarely use even that Rube Goldberg setup. Didn't like SV chicken. Veggies and steaks take too long and taste no better than standard methods. The only thing that's really good (so far) is a 48 hour chuck roast. But... 48 HOURS! 

Sorry about your situation, but thanks for posting.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• DoubleEgger
    So... no more pots?  
    The end of an era... 
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    So... no more pots?  
    The end of an era... 
    I’ll make some for you.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    I don’t like the texture of SV steaks, chops, and chicken. 
    Really? I can’t tell much of a difference, but then steak and chops are never in more than 1 to 2 hours. I often do a steak at 130º and drop in chicken breast for SWMBO. Her’s gets a finish on the egg or Smokey Joe to just brown it a bit and take the IT to about 145ºish, then some sauce. Steak gets a hot sear and serve.
    I do know that long cooks on roasts produce an “I don’t like this” texture. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • UncleBilly
    UncleBilly Posts: 225
    So... no more pots?  
    I haven’t gotten on the SV train yet, but I do my chocolate pots on the stove top in a water bath canner.  I use the Maverick to monitor the temp.  
    XL  Central Ohio
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262

First the surprise thread on thermapens, and now Anova.  Next week blackstones and the CGS?  The madness must stop!
    Phoenix 
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,871
    So... no more pots?  
    I haven’t gotten on the SV train yet, but I do my chocolate pots on the stove top in a water bath canner.  I use the Maverick to monitor the temp.  
    Oh you can do them a bunch of different ways.  I was mostly just expressing some sadness for @DoubleEgger and his SV end.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Shanker1
    Shanker1 Posts: 6
    I don’t comment on here often but I had the same issue not too long ago. After some research, it turned out that the Anova will behave that way when the steam from the bath infiltrates machine.  I had mine in the corner of the counter directly below the upper cabinets and the steam couldn’t escape. Moved it into the open and after a while all was good. Poor design for a machine that heats water but hopefully this is also your problem and you can continue to get some use out of it. 
  • DoubleEgger
    edited June 2018
    Shanker1 said:
    I don’t comment on here often but I had the same issue not too long ago. After some research, it turned out that the Anova will behave that way when the steam from the bath infiltrates machine.  I had mine in the corner of the counter directly below the upper cabinets and the steam couldn’t escape. Moved it into the open and after a while all was good. Poor design for a machine that heats water but hopefully this is also your problem and you can continue to get some use out of it. 
    Thanks. I usually use a lid but didn’t have it on this time. Wasn’t under a counter though. Maybe it’ll work again when it drys out. Who would have thought a SV couldn’t handle a humid environment. I appreciate the tip. 
  • gonepostal
    gonepostal Posts: 711
    In the middle of my 2nd SV cook as i type this...Chicken tonight...have heard good things. Giving pots a try next. Lucked up with the clearance sale at Target last week so no biggie if it bombs out quickly but sorry to hear about yours...
    Wetumpka, Alabama
    LBGE and MM
  • Proser
    Proser Posts: 271
    My Anova did the same thing to me and customer service was no help. Ended up buying a Sansaire about 18 months ago and no trouble so far.  Knock on wood
    Arlington, TX  1 large, 1 medium, 1 Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone
  • DoubleEgger
    Proser said:
    My Anova did the same thing to me and customer service was no help. Ended up buying a Sansaire about 18 months ago and no trouble so far.  Knock on wood
    Yeah, the customer service was so inept the last time I reached out to them that I’m not going there this time. My sanity is worth more than that. 
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Dude, you’re famous on the interwebz. 

This popped up on my Google cards/feed/whatever it’s called. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Never liked it either. John’s pots were good, as are reheated pulled pork and pulled beef, but don’t like the texture it gives proteins even with the finishing grilling. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • jeffwit
    jeffwit Posts: 1,348
    I did some lamb chops that I liked pretty well, but haven’t liked chicken, steak, or a chuck roast that I’ve done. Pots are enough for me to keep it around, though. 
    Jefferson, GA
    XL BGE, MM, Things to flip meat over and stuff
    Wife, 3 kids, 5 dogs, 4 cats, 12 chickens, 2 goats, 2 pigs. 
    “Honey, we bought a farm.”