Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

RIP Anthony Bourdain

Options

Comments

• billt01
    billt01 Posts: 1,530
    Options
    billt01 said:
    Rose McGowan released a statement on behalf of Argento (Tony’s girlfriend) that makes it pretty clear that this was mental health related.  Sounds like docs told him to consider medication and he chose not to.  Sad.
    Rose McGowan...HA!

The same Rose which accompanied Marilyn Manson on to an awards show wearing nothing but chain-male ..

credible 
    What the eff does what someone wears to an awards show have to do with their credibility on something like this?

I suppose his girlfriend Asia Argento is equally suspect?  Because she’s the one who asked McGowan to release the statement.  Good God man.
    mental stability chief....
    Have:
     XLBGE / Stumps Baby XL / Couple of Stokers (Gen 1 and Gen 3) / Blackstone 36 / Maxey 3x5 water pan hog cooker
    Had:
    LBGE / Lang 60D / Cookshack SM150 / Stumps Stretch / Stumps Baby

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,981
    Options
    Yeah, don’t know how I could’ve missed that. FFS.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options

billt01 Posts: 688
    Focker said:
    Anyone else think running home mid fest to snap a pic to get a quick replacement is "pulling a fast one" odd?
    you do you...

no judgement from me...  

Irony...
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    60 year old rode hard rugged man, playing with 40 year old Italian fire....too hot to handle?
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• billt01
    Options
    is this not what we are talking about Mental illness or mental stability?  Why would any woman with decency and respect for others decide to wear such a thing in public.

It is my opinion she would be out for self promotion, to get a rise out of people. All selfish reasons...self absorbed..

Kind of like killing yourself do to the fact the person is "unhappy" or "in a dark place"..

both of my grandfathers were in WWII, front line infantry, they lived the rest of their lives "in a dark place"...but still had the strength to raise my father and my mother, which in turn has "trickled" down to the way I raise my kids..

Once you have children, YOUR feelings are moot..

FFS, people today really have NFC...
    Have:
     XLBGE / Stumps Baby XL / Couple of Stokers (Gen 1 and Gen 3) / Blackstone 36 / Maxey 3x5 water pan hog cooker
    Had:

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    billt01 said:

FFS, people today really have NFC...
    You can say that again.
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    Options
    billt01 said:
    is this not what we are talking about Mental illness or mental stability?  Why would any woman with decency and respect for others decide to wear such a thing in public.

It is my opinion she would be out for self promotion

To be fair, she's an actress. Her entire career is built off self-promotion. That's the nature of the business it seems. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • billt01
    Options
    SonVolt said:
    billt01 said:

To be fair, she's an actress. Her entire career is built off self-promotion. That's the nature of the business it seems. 
    to be fair, it seems shes as effed up as he was...credible source of information..

effed up mingling with the effed up...safety in numbers.. 

but above all people, lets be fair..HA!

Have:
    Had:

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    McGowan is a red herring at best in all of this.  The reason she came up is because she is apparently friends with Asia Argento, likely as a result of the whole Weinstein mess.
  • SonVolt
    edited June 2018
    Options
    billt01 said:
    SonVolt said:
    billt01 said:

to be fair, it seems shes as effed up as he was...credible source of information..

I'm really not sure where you're going with all this.... yes, she's obviously not your typical church on Sunday woman. She's Hollywood. She's different. She wears dresses with her ass hanging out in public. What's that have to do with anything? 

both of my grandfathers were in WWII, front line infantry, they lived the rest of their lives "in a dark place"...but still had the strength to raise my father and my mother, which in turn has "trickled" down to the way I raise my kids..

And my grandfather was also in WWII, front line infantry, and lived the rest of his life in a very happy place.  You can't judge someone's inclination towards mental illness based on a personal family anecdote. Everyone's body chemistry is different.

South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • billt01
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Still unsure what Rose McGowen's addiction issues and choice of attire have to do with a statement she was asked to release?!?!
    it has nothing to do with the statement...

her credibility is non-existent in this type of scenario. Who would listen to a heartfelt statement coming from a self-promoting coke head..

If Asia Argento wanted a statement to go out with any validity, she should have chose a better spokeswoman...

Have:
    Had:

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    billt01 said:
    Still unsure what Rose McGowen's addiction issues and choice of attire have to do with a statement she was asked to release?!?!
    it has nothing to do with the statement...

her credibility is non-existent in this type of scenario. Who would listen to a heartfelt statement coming from a self-promoting coke head..

If Asia Argento wanted a statement to go out with any validity, she should have chose a better spokeswoman...

I can't tell if you really believe these things you say of if you're just a perpetual sh!t stirrer?  

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Oh boy.
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    Now we are starting to have a good thread!

Little Rock, AR

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    get this thread off my lawn =)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    Options
    Man, this is gonna get fun real soon. I think ill grab my popcorn and not comment.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• Focker
    Options
    Wonder if, Bourdain believed(in something), he'd still be here today?
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I’m still profoundly sad about this. This one has stuck with me longer than anyone since perhaps Robin Williams. I’m not 100% sold on the notion that everyone who commits suicide is mentally ill though. I believe that it’s easy to use mental illness as a blanket condolence of sorts for things that we can’t grasp or comprehend. I don’t know what his mental or physical condition was at the time of his death. Perhaps he found out he had terminal cancer, kept it to himself and made a judgement decision. He looked very thin recently. I don’t know. I just feel like this issue is so deep and complex and it’s hard to pin all of these suicides on mental illness within 24hrs of a person’s death. 
    Certainly could have been something else, but there are a good number of reports about him struggling with these kinds of issues in the past, as well as him being in something of a dark mood recently.  But maybe we’ll learn something new in the coming weeks and months, who knows.
    One observation of mine through the general observations of those on the ground in regard to what we consider "crazy" behavior.  Be it multiple attempted suicides or people who are challenged by the intensity of reality.  My theory is people who are very, very intelligent are challenged by reality.  I have first hand experience with this and anecdotal, both supplemented by research and contemporary news. 

If the question is who is at fault, maybe society, maybe the person.  Brilliant or moronic, the common denominator is that person weighs their options and they decide suicide is the better choice.  It's relevant because it is inherently mentally ill if that's an on going pattern.  Sure, some people aren't and have a "crime of passion" when they off themselves.

Buddy of mine is a chef and met AB a few times, hung out with him.  Said he was a fun, interesting guy, selfless.  But he also chided him for leaving his kid behind.
    Options
    billt01 said:

Once you have children, YOUR feelings are moot
    This is a new phenomenon. This was definitely not the case growing up for many of us. Back in the day, parents were the apex of the household. Today, parents state that their only reason for living is their kids and put  them on a pedestal to run the household. There’s little respect for parents from their children. 

And folks wonder why kids are so effed up these days. 
    perhaps some clarification..

A parents "feelings" towards outside influences should be moot.  One does not need to cross thread "feelings" with "discipline".  I would ASSUME Anthony's kid was being raised by a nanny/.girlfriend somewhere and his discipline was not apparent in his daughters life. And perhaps, due to the employment decisssion, could have aided in the lack of thought considering his daughter and what her life was to be without him.

My kids don't "rule the roost", but I could give two $H!+'s about anyone's outside input on how to raise them..
    Have:
    Had:

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    Dondgc said:
    Now we are starting to have a good thread!
    So your idea of a good thread is one that insults people of faith?
    Dondgc said:

First, I didn't ask. 

Little Rock, AR

• Focker
    Options
    billt01 said:
    Dondgc said:
    SonVolt said:
    I can't tell if you really believe these things you say of if you're just a perpetual sh!t stirrer?  

or a baptist 
    So why do you choose to insult people's faith on the forum? What does being Baptist - or Christian - have to do with any of this? 

Leave my faith out of your snide comments please. 
    some of these fine folks on here...love to spout there opinions (not judgments) about certain topics..

You will find, they travel in packs by looking at the "like" and "agree"  radio buttons...

Everyone has their right to their opinion, and I have the right to disagree with it..

as do they...

no reason to get bent up by them....
     Is it a pack of chihuahuas, or a herd, or a litter?  Or something else?
    Asking for a friend.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• billt01
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Focker said:
    billt01 said:
    Dondgc said:
    SonVolt said:

or a baptist 
    So why do you choose to insult people's faith on the forum? What does being Baptist - or Christian - have to do with any of this? 

Leave my faith out of your snide comments please. 
    some of these fine folks on here...love to spout there opinions (not judgments) about certain topics..

You will find, they travel in packs by looking at the "like" and "agree"  radio buttons...

Everyone has their right to their opinion, and I have the right to disagree with it..

as do they...

no reason to get bent up by them....
     Is it a pack of chihuahuas, or a herd, or a litter?  Or something else?
    Asking for a friend.
    could be a gaggle, congress, pod, or lets just go with a group of hedgehogs..

They are called a "prickle".
    Have:
    Had:

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• JohnEggGio
    JohnEggGio Posts: 1,430
    Options
    billt01 said:
    billt01 said:

Once you have children, YOUR feelings are moot
    This is a new phenomenon. This was definitely not the case growing up for many of us. Back in the day, parents were the apex of the household. Today, parents state that their only reason for living is their kids and put  them on a pedestal to run the household. There’s little respect for parents from their children. 

And folks wonder why kids are so effed up these

My kids don't "rule the roost", but I could give two $H!+'s about anyone's outside input on how to raise them..
    Same.  I’m absolutely committed to my daughter, but there’s zero question who runs the house.  I took you to mean, once you have children you have a commitment, an obligation that supercedes such selfish notions.
    Maryland, 1 LBGE
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    Just finished watching the CNN show. Most of it was a bunch of talking heads but Anderson Cooper’s grief and sadness was real. 
    Anderson’s older brother jumped out the window of their new york apartment in front of their mother (their mom is Gloria Vanderbilt). He and tony were clearly fairly close so I’m sure it’s not easy losing a brother and a friend to suicide. Crazy Schitt. 
    Really sad stuff 
    Yep. Say what you want about Anderson but dude has seen some shitttt. His autobiography is very much worth a read. Squatting in abandodned apartments while watching dead bodies floating down the streets of New Orleans after Katrina, imbedded In conflict zones etc. crazy stuff. 
    He did a documentary about his mother's life on HBO.  It was a great watch.  Very interesting woman.  Anderson had quite the life as a young boy.  Wonder if he would be as successful if he was in the same situation growing up today?
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• saluki2007
    Options
    billt01 said:
    SonVolt said:
    billt01 said:

So people can't make mistakes and change, got it.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• billt01
    Options
    billt01 said:
    SonVolt said:
    billt01 said:

This news hit ~16 hours ago, in order to change..the future will have to be in play..

Have:
    Had:

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• saluki2007
    Options
    billt01 said:
    billt01 said:
    SonVolt said:
    billt01 said:

This news hit ~16 hours ago, in order to change..the future will have to be in play..

Was referring more to the dress situation as I didn't know anything about the coke.  Guess some people are who they are...
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• saluki2007
    Options
    And we are sinking...
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• SonVolt
    Options
    What news hit 16 hours ago? Her cocaine charges? That's old news man... and conveniently connected to Harvey's smear campaign. The dude literally hired foreign agents to ruin people. It's a fact.