Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

RIP Anthony Bourdain

Options

Comments

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Man he had a way with words and insults.
    brutal
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,171
    edited June 2018
    Options
    I’m still profoundly sad about this. This one has stuck with me longer than anyone since perhaps Robin Williams. I’m not 100% sold on the notion that everyone who commits suicide is mentally ill though. I believe that it’s easy to use mental illness as a blanket condolence of sorts for things that we can’t grasp or comprehend. I don’t know what his mental or physical condition was at the time of his death. Perhaps he found out he had terminal cancer, kept it to himself and made a judgement decision. He looked very thin recently. I don’t know. I just feel like this issue is so deep and complex and it’s hard to pin all of these suicides on mental illness within 24hrs of a person’s death. 
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,945
    Options
    I’m still profoundly sad about this. This one has stuck with me longer than anyone since perhaps Robin Williams. I’m not 100% sold on the notion that everyone who commits suicide is mentally ill though. I believe that it’s easy to use mental illness as a blanket condolence of sorts for things that we can’t grasp or comprehend. I don’t know what his mental or physical condition was at the time of his death. Perhaps he found out he had terminal cancer, kept it to himself and made a judgement decision. He looked very thin recently. I don’t know. I just feel like this issue is so deep and complex and it’s hard to pin all of these suicides on mental illness within 24hrs of a person’s death. 
    Certainly could have been something else, but there are a good number of reports about him struggling with these kinds of issues in the past, as well as him being in something of a dark mood recently.  But maybe we’ll learn something new in the coming weeks and months, who knows.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    thetrim said:
    This is an interesting read.  I think he saved his best stuff for celeb chefs.   

https://www.thrillist.com/eat/nation/anthony-bourdain-celebrity-chef-feuds
    Thanks for sharing. Couldn't help but read most of that article with his voice in my head.  Kinda creepy. 
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    I like Emeril.  I always thought he was a nice guy.  The others were pretty funny.  

Little Rock, AR

• DoubleEgger
    Options
    Certainly could have been something else, but there are a good number of reports about him struggling with these kinds of issues in the past, as well as him being in something of a dark mood recently.  But maybe we’ll learn something new in the coming weeks and months, who knows.
    After watching the Berlin episode last night, I wonder if that contributed to his recent darkness. Regardless of motivation or condition, continued prayers for his family, loved ones, fans, and those struggling with issues where suicide is an option. 
  • GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Options
    Emeril took over for Prudhomme at Commander’s Palace in the early 80s. He wasn’t a lightweight in the kitchen. Interesting thing was Emeril had a full ride to Juilliard and quit after a couple of years. His schtick interested 1000s of people to up their cooking game. 
  • dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Options
    Back when the Food Network was actually cooking shows, I loved Emeril and Alton Browns shows. 

One gave me confidence to attempt more complicated dishes and the other taught me the science involved in cooking. 

And then there was “Chillin’ &Grillin’. 
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    GrillSgt said:
    Emeril took over for Prudhomme at Commander’s Palace in the early 80s. He wasn’t a lightweight in the kitchen. Interesting thing was Emeril had a full ride to Juilliard and quit after a couple of years. His schtick interested 1000s of people to up their cooking game. 
    No doubt. Tony was wrong and Emeril 
    proved it to him. Tony was attacking what he had become but Emeril was the bigger man and stayed above the fray (as far as I know). I think they became friends later but Emeril’s tweet upon Tony’s death was pure class. 
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,467
    Options
    billt01 said:
    Can one be a genius with a mental illness? 
    I'd bet most geniuses (geniuie?) were...

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,467
    Options
    I'd kinda like to know what exactly happened to Emeril.  His show was on Wednesday nights, then "date" night for me and what's-her-name, and she loved Emeril so we always watched him after my primo dinner (I always tried a new recipe on Wednesdays, she cooked for me on weekends).  
    His last season, he went to crap.  He sounded like me briefing senior leadership: stuttering, stammering, deer-in-the-headlights look, out of breath, just terrible.  I'd really like to know what happened....

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    Options
    dmchicago said:
    Back when the Food Network was actually cooking shows, I loved Emeril and Alton Browns shows. 

The good ol' days of the Food Network. I practically learned to cook watching Molto Mario back in college before Batali became a creep. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    SonVolt said:
    dmchicago said:

The good ol' days of the Food Network. I practically learned to cook watching Molto Mario back in college before I knew Batali was a creep. 
    ftfy 
  • DoubleEgger
    Options
    Just finished watching the CNN show. Most of it was a bunch of talking heads but Anderson Cooper’s grief and sadness was real. 
  • Dondgc
    Dondgc Posts: 709
    Options
    SonVolt said:
    dmchicago said:

The good ol' days of the Food Network. I practically learned to cook watching Molto Mario back in college before I knew Batali was a creep. 
    ftfy 
    Good edit. 
    New Orleans LA
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Just finished watching the CNN show. Most of it was a bunch of talking heads but Anderson Cooper’s grief and sadness was real. 
    Anderson’s older brother jumped out the window of their new york apartment in front of their mother (their mom is Gloria Vanderbilt). He and tony were clearly fairly close so I’m sure it’s not easy losing a brother and a friend to suicide. Crazy Schitt. 
  • DoubleEgger
    Options
    Anderson’s older brother jumped out the window of their new york apartment in front of their mother (their mom is Gloria Vanderbilt). He and tony were clearly fairly close so I’m sure it’s not easy losing a brother and a friend to suicide. Crazy Schitt. 
    Really sad stuff 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Really sad stuff 
    Yep. Say what you want about Anderson but dude has seen some shitttt. His autobiography is very much worth a read. Squatting in abandodned apartments while watching dead bodies floating down the streets of New Orleans after Katrina, imbedded In conflict zones etc. crazy stuff. 
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    edited June 2018
    Options
    I've always liked Anderson. Before learning to cook from Batali I got my news from Anderson Cooper back in high school by watching Channel 1, the kids news program they showed in class before school every day.  He was a teenage foreign correspondent on the show before he made it big. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    Botch said:
    I'd kinda like to know what exactly happened to Emeril.  His show was on Wednesday nights, then "date" night for me and what's-her-name, and she loved Emeril so we always watched him after my primo dinner (I always tried a new recipe on Wednesdays, she cooked for me on weekends).  
    His last season, he went to crap.  He sounded like me briefing senior leadership: stuttering, stammering, deer-in-the-headlights look, out of breath, just terrible.  I'd really like to know what happened....
    I sweat a lot and don't know what to do with my hands. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,042
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Just listened to a few podcasts.  He was talking about having made every mistake possible in life and how much he loved his daughter.  Talked about changing, growing up, and always being there for her in the future and wanting to be there when she grows up and has questions about his life.

Cannot imagine having someone you love with such a huge digital footprint left behind after they commit suicide.  I feel really bad for her, she is going to have a long row to hoe.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    Just listened to a few podcasts.  He was talking about having made every mistake possible in life and how much he loved his daughter.  Talked about changing, growing up, and always being there for her in the future and wanting to be there when she grows up and has questions about his life.

Cannot imagine having someone you love with such a huge digital footprint left behind after they commit suicide.  I feel really bad for her, she is going to have a long row to hoe.
    I feel for his mother Gladys too.

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• billt01
    billt01 Posts: 1,528
    Options

What does a child do when the person who would be their protector and teacher decides to off himself?

Hopefully she will understand, his way was not the right way...

Like ol' Archie Manning..
    Have:
     XLBGE / Stumps Baby XL / Couple of Stokers (Gen 1 and Gen 3) / Blackstone 36 / Maxey 3x5 water pan hog cooker
    Had:
    LBGE / Lang 60D / Cookshack SM150 / Stumps Stretch / Stumps Baby

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• Focker
    edited June 2018
    Options
    I'm with ya man.
    Everyone here blanketed RW before hearing of the Parkinson's, which would steal his identity, livelihood.

Last year I remember seeing a pic of Tony and Asia on the beach, and immediately thought he looked skinny, as in unhealthy skinny.

I think Bourdain was diagnosed with lung cancer several years ago.  He smoked like a chimney.  Cancer would strip him of his identity and livelihood as well.  Maybe he wouldn't want to put strain on his family and loved ones.  You can only review Ensure and Boost so many times.  

I wasn't a huge fan, never really watched his shows, had a buddy shut off his audio book midway back from 3 Floyds, but I liked Bourdain's approach to his work.  Always felt he was real, in everything I did see, hear him say.  I respect that part about him.  Never understood the Emeril hate, as Emeril was a much more talented chef head-to-head, but I did see why he went after the others.

Could've been a drug relapse?
    Maybe he cheated on his GF?
    Or she cheated on him?
    Or a break up?
    Definitely wasn't financial.

Just speculating.  But I do know one thing for sure.

Getting old isn't for pu$$ies folks.  
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• JohnEggGio
    JohnEggGio Posts: 1,430
    Options

What does a child do when the person who would be their protector and teacher decides to off himself?
    I think this was a big part of my initial anger towards him (yes, and some selfishness too).  A father makes a difference- maybe I’m deluding myself, but I feel I’ve been critical to the educating and shaping of my 19 year old daughter.  I’ve always felt it’s the most important thing I’ll ever do.  I guaranty that Sunday I will receive a card, thanking me for “always being there”.
    Maryland, 1 LBGE
  • Focker
    Options

I think this was a big part of my initial anger towards him (yes, and some selfishness too).  A father makes a difference- maybe I’m deluding myself, but I feel I’ve been critical to the educating and shaping of my 19 year old daughter.  I’ve always felt it’s the most important thing I’ll ever do.  I guaranty that Sunday I will receive a card, thanking me for “always being there”.
    Meanwhile, Bordain's daughter gets to bury her Dad.  So, so sad.  A long row to hoe.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Rose McGowan released a statement on behalf of Argento (Tony’s girlfriend) that makes it pretty clear that this was mental health related.  Sounds like docs told him to consider medication and he chose not to.  Sad.
  • billt01
    billt01 Posts: 1,528
    Options
    Rose McGowan released a statement on behalf of Argento (Tony’s girlfriend) that makes it pretty clear that this was mental health related.  Sounds like docs told him to consider medication and he chose not to.  Sad.
    Rose McGowan...HA!

The same Rose which accompanied Marilyn Manson on to an awards show wearing nothing but chain-male ..

credible 
    Have:
     XLBGE / Stumps Baby XL / Couple of Stokers (Gen 1 and Gen 3) / Blackstone 36 / Maxey 3x5 water pan hog cooker
    Had:
    LBGE / Lang 60D / Cookshack SM150 / Stumps Stretch / Stumps Baby

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• Focker
    Options
    billt01 said:
    Rose McGowan...HA!

The same Rose which accompanied Marilyn Manson on to an awards show wearing nothing but chain-male ..

credible 
    LOL
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    billt01 said:
    Rose McGowan...HA!

credible 
    What the eff does what someone wears to an awards show have to do with their credibility on something like this?

I suppose his girlfriend Asia Argento is equally suspect?  Because she’s the one who asked McGowan to release the statement.  Good God man.