Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sauscutapalooza (AWSS5 - the final conflict)

Options
12345679»

Comments

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,844
    Options
    Should the keeping mold thread just be added to the yeast thread?  Or should it stand alone?

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    Should the keeping mold thread just be added to the yeast thread?  Or should it stand alone?
    Either one. I didn’t know you had to keep a mold culture like you keep wild yeast.

Since joining this community I find myself swirling down into a bottomless rabbit hole filled with goodness. There is also an underbelly seen by few on the outside that requires clandestine meetings in remote parking lots to buy meat, medieval iron contraptions that cause mothers to cover the eyes of their children, Dexter-like garages complete with plastic, antiseptics, and curiously shaped cutlery that would make federal agencies ask questions. Then there is the alchemy of wild yeast and now mold that must be coddled and kept like a strange pet. I can’t imagine what’s next. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Same thread.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Foghorn
    Options
    Did some chops (from the end of the loin, not the premier cuts but very tasty) and sausages from this event.  It's boys night with just my son and myself.  We added pesto from Costco to some fancy pasta (basil garlic spinach fettuccini) that my wife bought at a craft fair.  

Thanks again to all who did the heavy lifting on this last pig project.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    Options
    That's a great looking meal.  I am glad it all turned out.
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX
  • LetsEat
    LetsEat Posts: 458
    Options
    I have lived vicariously through these most entertaining posts.  What plans do you all have for Sauscutapalooza II?
    IL 
  • 20stone
    Options
    Fioccio (if, in fact, I identified the right leg muscle when we made it), has now been sliced open and tasted.  The recipe is simple - pork, salt, Cure 2, black pepper - cure it for three weeks - sew it into a pig bladder - hang in a meat locker for awhile. 

This one hung for about two months and lost 44% of its weight.  Aside from the mortadella, this is the best thing I think I’ve cured.  Too bad I have to share it with my coinvestors. 

[44% weight loss leads to baggy string - the white mold is the good stuff, green or black, not so much]

[the first peek inside, very lean, like a braesola]

[a few test slices - we have a winner]

(now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove

Austin, TX
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,767
    Options
    20stone said:
    Fioccio (if, in fact, I identified the right leg muscle when we made it), has now been sliced open and tasted.  The recipe is simple - pork, salt, Cure 2, black pepper - cure it for three weeks - sew it into a pig bladder - hang in a meat locker for awhile. 

This one hung for about two months and lost 44% of its weight.  Aside from the mortadella, this is the best thing I think I’ve cured.  Too bad I have to share it with my coinvestors. 

[44% weight loss leads to baggy string - the white mold is the good stuff, green or black, not so much]

[the first peek inside, very lean, like a braesola]

[a few test slices - we have a winner]

Bombdiggity @20stone
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I will be there in 3 hours flat. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • 20stone
    Options
    C’mon!  A chunk of it is yours. 
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove

Austin, TX
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    20stone said:
    C’mon!  A chunk of it is yours. 
    Looks awesome man. Can’t wait to try it. 
  • 20stone
    Options
    I finally got around to pulling the rest of the smaller curing cuts out of the meat locker.  I was going to yank them a few weeks ago, but inertia got the better of me.

The bad news

I pulled the first fiocco now about six weeks ago, and it is perfect.  I still have most of it vac bagged in the fridge. The second one, however, got way, way too dry, and wouldn't even cut.  Over 50% weight loss was too, too much, and in the bin it went. 

The great news
    The two coppa turned out awesome.  One was 32% and the other 39%, so one is firmer than the other, but they both taste great.  This is what two years of raising a pig and nearly four months of curing got us.

Still in the casing (beef bung for the coppa, sheep bladder for the fiocco)

Uncased and sliced thin

Still waiting on these.  I gave them a poke and sniff with the horse bone and they both smell great.  I’m a little worried about the older one since it has really, really slowed down on the weight loss, but time will tell

(now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove

Austin, TX
  • lkapigian
    Options
    I'll PM you my address  =)
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Foghorn
    Options
    Dude.  I'm looking forward to getting my share.  However, if you come up short, you can cut my portion.  I have invested my share of cash, but not my share of effort compared to some of you.

San Antonio, TX

• 20stone
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    Dude.  I'm looking forward to getting my share.  However, if you come up short, you can cut my portion.  I have invested my share of cash, but not my share of effort compared to some of you.
    Your checks were prompt and always cleared.  Your beer was always cold.  Your share is safe. 
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove

Austin, TX
  • BigGreenBean
    BigGreenBean Posts: 117
    Options
    I have spent much of this Saturday evening reading this long and entertaining thread.  Hilarious.  Congratulations to all who participated.  @20stone, please show more of your garage/commercial kitchen/refrigeration palace.  I'm envious of this stainless steel mansion of yours, but only see glimpses.  Fine charcuterie skills.  My hat's off.
    Virginia Beach, VA
  • Foghorn
    Options
    Bump.  Because new members here should read this.  And old members should reread it just for the sheer amusement.

San Antonio, TX

• lkapigian
    Options
    Was kinda of hoping there would be a Sauscutapalooza Final Final Conflict 

Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Ha ha. Back when we actually did stuff. 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Legume said:
    I'm going to miss these threads.  You guys need more livestock. Maybe try your hand at beef.  Just think, fresh brisket and ribeye cap. 
    stop.
    See?  It’s not just me.  How about that hill country property with a cave for hanging cheese and charcuterie?  Maybe raise some bees?
    Who knew you wold be so prophetic with this comment?
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    Such a great thread.