Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Foolproof Pizza

Options
Focker
Focker Posts: 8,364
edited June 2018 in EggHead Forum
For the eggers wanting to explore pizza, or those that struggle with it, this recipe is a favorite and worth a shot.  
https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2013/01/foolproof-pan-pizza-recipe.html

Foolproof as in....
1.  Mix with a spoon and bowl.

2.  Let sit in said bowl, covered, for 8-24 hrs.

3.  Halve and place one ball in 10 or 12" oiled skillet.  I like 12", and used a BSR Century No. 10, 12 7/16" skillet today.  No stressing about opening/stretching a dough ball into a circle, and then onto a wooden peel.

4.  Slightly stretch and pull out edges to push the air bubbles out, and assemble.  The dough almost stretches itself.  Much easier than learning to use a wooden peel.  And, you can go heavy with the toppings, and go all the way to the edge.  I used whole milk mozz, Italian sausage, balsamic onions, Wright's bacon, diced jalapeno, and Boar's Head pepperoni.  

5.  No launch stressors, as all you do is place the skillet on a 550 indirect egg.  Spin halfway, the edges will be frying away.  Be patient.

6.  Use a thin spatula to free the burnt gasket on the edges and start checking the bottom for doneness at 12 min.  This is the hardest part, and it's not that bad.  The pie today was 20 min.  Cheese should brown up a little.  A post bake Microplane of good parmesan is great at soaking up the pepperoni grease.  The boys insist on a swirl of Mike's Hot Honey with just about every pie.

7.  After a brief rest release the pie from pan.

The bottom should look like this.

8.  Enjoy the fruits of your easy labor with a good beer.  ;)
 Thanks fer lookin'.
Brandon
Quad Cities
"If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

Comments

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,026
    Options
    Looks awesome! Bookmarked 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Nice!!

Did one a couple of weeks ago. Used an 11" pan for Kenji's 10" recipe. Crust was still too thick! 12" next time... unless I forget again! Good pie though.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• MeTed
    MeTed Posts: 800
    Options
    Great post, Thanks!
    Belleville, Michigan

Just burnin lump in Sumpter
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,338
    Options
    Love me some Space Dust! 
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• Carolina Q
    Options
    Here's what you get if you put that dough recipe in a 10" pan... TOO THICK!!
    Still tastes great though!

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Wooderson
    Wooderson Posts: 354
    Options
    Solid.  Never even thought of trying it.  Crispy crust, that'll work!!!!
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Since SWMBO doesn't like deep dish, calling it a bread casserole, I have to eat it without her, but share with my pack of chihauhuas.
    Options

Too thick? That's the whole point of pan pizza! Delicious!
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    Since SWMBO doesn't like deep dish, calling it a bread casserole, I have to eat it without her, but share with my pack of chihauhuas.
    Pan pizza isn't deep dish. Not even close.

Deep dish...

SonVolt said:
    Too thick? That's the whole point of pan pizza! Delicious!
    To each is own. This is much thicker than the original Pizza Hut pan pizza... which is what it was billed as.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    Options
    Need a banana for scale I guess but that looks about the right thickness for Pizza Hut pan. I wish Lodge made a 15" double loop handle skillet. That would be the ultimate pan IMO.  They skip from 12" to 17" and 17" won't fit in my oven with the stupid convection fan housing eating up space. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • Focker
    Options
    WeberWho said:
    Looks awesome! Bookmarked 
    Thanks brother.  
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    Options
    Gonna try this for next Friday pizza night. Great job.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• Focker
    Options
    Nice!!

Did one a couple of weeks ago. Used an 11" pan for Kenji's 10" recipe. Crust was still too thick! 12" next time... unless I forget again! Good pie though.
    I'm with ya bud, #10 12" is perfect.  

Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Focker
    Options
    ColtsFan said:
    Love me some Space Dust! 
    Right on.  Switched to Space Station Middle Finger.
    Cheers!
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Focker
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Thanks for the pics.
    It still looks wonderful.  I'd have no problems crushing that.
    My 7 year old nephew had 4 pieces tonight!  I have a feeling in a year or two I will have to use two skillets.  Growin' boys. Lol
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Focker
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Wooderson said:
    Solid.  Never even thought of trying it.  Crispy crust, that'll work!!!!
    Thanks.  It's by far my favorite pizza style on the egg.
    The contrast of the pillowy top and crunchy GBD undercarriage is quite nice.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Focker
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Herding feral huahuas is like herding cats.
    Couldn't imagine...
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Focker
    edited June 2018
    Options
    SonVolt said:
    Need a banana for scale I guess but that looks about the right thickness for Pizza Hut pan. I wish Lodge made a 15" double loop handle skillet. That would be the ultimate pan IMO.  They skip from 12" to 17" and 17" won't fit in my oven with the stupid convection fan housing eating up space. 
    The Lodge 15" carbon steel paella pan would work.  I may try this recipe in one pan and the oven next time.  It will not fit on the large egg.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Focker
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Gonna try this for next Friday pizza night. Great job.
    Thank you!

A couple of tips to help.
    Use King Arthur Bread Flour, and bottled water.  My Mississippi River tap water is heavily treated, chlorine kills the yeast.  When I stopped using tap water, my dough didn't fail.

Brandon
    Quad Cities

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

@Focker Nicely done.  A step by step tutorial is always helpful.  Not just to newbies, but some of us older farts have never made pan pizza either.  I will be giving this a try.  Pics look great too.  Thanks.

Phoenix 
  • Focker
    edited June 2018
    Options
    blasting said:

@Focker Nicely done.  A step by step tutorial is always helpful.  Not just to newbies, but some of us older farts have never made pan pizza either.  I will be giving this a try.  Pics look great too.  Thanks.

Thanks brother, have fun!
    I took the skillet off of the egg to a trivet when checking the bottom at 12 minutes, and shut the egg to keep temp in line.  Makes things much easier than messing with it on the egg.  Then I put it back on to finish up.  It will continue to fry off heat.  When it's golden, you're golden.  A flexible fish spatula is handy for this if you have one.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    SonVolt said:
    I wish Lodge made a 15" double loop handle skillet. That would be the ultimate pan IMO.  

I've got the 15", and had they made a double loop when I bought it (maybe they did?) that's what I'd have gotten.  Takes only a few seconds to cut the handle off and round off sharp edges.  I've gotten a lot more use out of my bigger skillets since doing so.
    Phoenix 
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    Mighty fine looking za @Focker !

Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    Wow -- and I mean wow!  That looks GREAT!!!
  • bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,727
    Options
    Wow, those look great!
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va

• Focker
    Options
    YEMTrey said:
    Mighty fine looking za @Focker !

LOL, thanks.
    That truth serum will creep up on ya.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Focker
    Options
    Theophan said:
    Wow -- and I mean wow!  That looks GREAT!!!
    Thank you.
    So easy, and so good.

Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Focker
    Options
    Wow, those look great!
    Thanks!
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Focker
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Today's rip.  Western lump got away from me a little, put on @ 620 dome.  Preheated an hr.
    Sausage, jalapeno, pepperoni.

More cupping with the higher heat.  

Thickness is right from what I can remember in the 80s, 90s.

Brandon
    Quad Cities

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Good grief that’s sinful!