Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Hello from Lavatools

Hi all,

Hope you guys are doing well this summer! I've seen a couple of posts about our products here and I want to let you guys know we really appreciate the support and want to make sure that all of you are taken care of if any questions or queries arise. We also want to extend a 15% friends and family discount to all the Egghead forum members here. 

https://www.lavatools.co/discount/EGGHEAD
Discount code: EGGHEAD

Please let us know if you have any thoughts or ideas, we're constantly improving what we have and developing new products!

Comments

• SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    Tryin' to use the discount code on a Thermapen and it's not working. Don't seem to take. Any ideas? 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,545
    This thread is a winner and its only Wednesday... Buckle up..
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • etherdome
    etherdome Posts: 471
    Thanks a lot! I find your product to be everything I need and at a great price, unlike the competition. 
    Upstate SC
    Large BGE,  Blackstone, Weber genesis , Weber charcoal classic
  • TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    Methinks the Buffalo will squash this one pretty quickly

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• Brisket_Fanatic
    Brisket_Fanatic Posts: 2,884
    @SonVolt  said:
    Tryin' to use the discount code on a Thermapen and it's not working. Don't seem to take. Any ideas? 
    They don't sell Thermapen's. It is called a Javelin and the code worked for me.

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,162
    I have a lava tools instant read and also a thermapen.  Both are quick enough and accurate enough for me.  Gotta have a backup in stock...
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited June 2018
    Welcome- and thanks for the offer. In for 1 Javelin pro.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• etherdome
    etherdome Posts: 471
    edited June 2018
    @SonVolt  said:
    They don't sell Thermapen's. It is called a Javelin and the code worked for me.
    There’s a pretty good chance he was being a smart@$$, but maybe not .
    Upstate SC
    Large BGE,  Blackstone, Weber genesis , Weber charcoal classic
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    lousubcap said:
    I have a lava tools instant read and also a thermapen.  Both are quick enough and accurate enough for me.  Gotta have a backup in stock...
    @lousubcap- exactly my reasoning. I have a certain $90ish thermometer and I get twitchy when I can't find it so I am hesitant to take it anywhere. For $38 shipped I can have a spare/travel thermo. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Dondgc
    Dondgc Posts: 709
     thanks for the discount I bought one of your thermometers a couple of weeks ago and am exceptionally pleased with it.
    New Orleans LA
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Bought mine a month or two ago. Love it. Every bit as fast and accurate as my T-pen. Rotating display, backlight and fridge magnet too (none of which were available with my older T-pen). Too bad you were a month or two late with your discount! =)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,706
    2 for 45, I took it...Was just watching Americas test kitchen the other day- Thermo took Top Honors but this was tops in that price range
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • ewyllins
    ewyllins Posts: 461
    Just pick one up thanks @Lavatools
    O-Town, FL

• Stubby
    Stubby Posts: 134
    I just got one last week.. Love it.. worked great. I bought the javelin pro pen..
    XL.......for now

Kernersville, NC
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,864
    Legume said:
    "Abused by people who make special trips to pinkberry" - sounds about right.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    2 Pros. I used one at my daughters. Like the big numbers. 
  • JMCXL
    JMCXL Posts: 1,524
    I had to, great price and I am sure the quality is as good as you all say.  Can't wait for mine to arrive
    Northern New Jersey
     XL - Woo2, AR      L (2) - Woo, PS Woo     MM (2) - Woo       MINI

Check out https://www.grillingwithpapaj.com for some fun and more Grilling with Papa (incase you haven't gotten enough of me)

Also, check out my YouTube Page
    https://www.youtube.com/c/grillingwithpapaj

Follow me on Facebook 
    https://www.facebook.com/GrillingPapaJ/

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Great product at a really good price. I have several.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • mwatts
    mwatts Posts: 122
    Anyone tried the Bluetooth thermometer? 
    Extra Large, Large, DigiQII, Thermapen, Adjustable Rig
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    edited June 2018
    mwatts said:
    I got one last week. For the price it seems great but I have not used it on an actual cook or tested range. Just remember, you must have your Bluetooth device with you , even right next to your grill, to view the temps.
    But the unit does flash 3 different colors the closer it gets to your target temp.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,323
    mwatts said:
    I got a Carbon LITE when @Photo Egg mentioned the sale a couple weeks ago.

Have used it a couple times in my oven, including tonight when I used it to finish off a small pork butt I had had in the sous vide tank for the last 24ish hours.

Works well. I don't have any idea as to the range as my kitchen/den/patio are all within 40 feet and haven't had any problems. Next time I use it I'll try to remember to walk to the front of the house/yard and see how long it might reach.

I do like the ability of having one probe being able to provide the cooker temp and the food internal temp - one less wire to have to mess with.

The app is ok. One thing I wish it would do is also show a graph of the oven/grill temp rather than just a numeric readout on the main screen. It only provides a graph for the internal temp of the food (at least as far as I can figure out).

Since I've only used it in my electric oven so far I haven't thought to check if the app allows you to set a high/low temp alarm for the oven/grill temp. For grill use that is something I would like to be able to do.

I also wish the app would let you just run an ad hoc session where you can just set your food target temp right on the main screen. You have to create a new Profile and set the temp you want but that is pretty simple to do so not that big a deal.

It uses CR2032 batteries which I'm generally not a fan of. No idea as to how long they will last before needing replacement but for the sort of cooks I plan to use this for - a few hours or less - I'm hoping to be able to get a few dozen cooks out of a set.

Overall, I'm glad I got one and for the sale price it was a pretty good deal.

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    HeavyG said:
    mwatts said:

Have used it a couple times in my oven, including tonight when I used it to finish off a small pork butt I had had in the sous vide tank for the last 24ish hours.

Works well. I don't have any idea as to the range as my kitchen/den/patio are all within 40 feet and haven't had any problems. Next time I use it I'll try to remember to walk to the front of the house/yard and see how long it might reach.

I do like the ability of having one probe being able to provide the cooker temp and the food internal temp - one less wire to have to mess with.

The app is ok. One thing I wish it would do is also show a graph of the oven/grill temp rather than just a numeric readout on the main screen. It only provides a graph for the internal temp of the food (at least as far as I can figure out).

Since I've only used it in my electric oven so far I haven't thought to check if the app allows you to set a high/low temp alarm for the oven/grill temp. For grill use that is something I would like to be able to do.

I also wish the app would let you just run an ad hoc session where you can just set your food target temp right on the main screen. You have to create a new Profile and set the temp you want but that is pretty simple to do so not that big a deal.

It uses CR2032 batteries which I'm generally not a fan of. No idea as to how long they will last before needing replacement but for the sort of cooks I plan to use this for - a few hours or less - I'm hoping to be able to get a few dozen cooks out of a set.

Pics or it didn't happen. 
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Nice gesture.
    If I were in the market for another instant read, I wouldn't hesitate.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• mgd_egg
    mgd_egg Posts: 476
    Thanks Lavatools.  I like my Javelin that I've been using for years but have wished it had a backlight.  I picked up the Javelin Pro and the Carbon Lite with the code.  Looking forward to trying them out.  
    Lg & MM BGE, Humphrey’s Battle Box | Palatine, Illinois  
  • KennyCJR
    KennyCJR Posts: 262
    Ordered a Javelin Pro. Looking forward to having a good thermometer to cook by temp, rather than just look and feel.  B)

thanks for the discount code. 
    Llano, TX   -  Med and XL BGE’s
  • Lavatools
    Lavatools Posts: 10
    HeavyG said:
    mwatts said:

Thanks for your feedback! We've been working on trying to combine both ambient and main sensor readings onto one graph. As for the stand alone temperature alarm without the need for a profile, we will reflect that to our development team. We'll try to incorporate these features into our app.
  • Lavatools
    Lavatools Posts: 10
    If you guys want a grill thermometer but a low-tech version, we also have a product called Element. Its fairly new and we don't yet have it on our website, but you can find it here on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Lavatools-OVT2-Thermometer-Dual-Sensor-Temperature/dp/B0769HXS4T
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,323
    Lavatools said:
    HeavyG said:
    mwatts said:

Thanks for your feedback! We've been working on trying to combine both ambient and main sensor readings onto one graph. As for the stand alone temperature alarm without the need for a profile, we will reflect that to our development team. We'll try to incorporate these features into our app.
    I see that your new Element thermometer allows HI/LOW alarms for the ambient/grill/oven temp. I'd love to have that ability on the Carbon, far more useful to me than the graph of ambient (which I'm guessing really wouldn't be of much interest to most users).

One other minor thing I like is that the cable for the probe is very flexible - makes it easier to coil up and not feel like you might kink the cable.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk