Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Hello from Lavatools

Options
2»

Comments

• bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,733
    Options
    Very tempting!
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Lavatools said:
    If you guys want a grill thermometer but a low-tech version, we also have a product called Element. Its fairly new and we don't yet have it on our website, but you can find it here on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Lavatools-OVT2-Thermometer-Dual-Sensor-Temperature/dp/B0769HXS4T
    Great of you to take the time to post and answer questions. 
    I have looked but unable to find price for replacement probes on the Carbon.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Options
    Just ordered the  Javelin PRO Duo - Chipotle which I hear is the fastest.
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • Lavatools
    Lavatools Posts: 10
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    Lavatools said:
    If you guys want a grill thermometer but a low-tech version, we also have a product called Element. Its fairly new and we don't yet have it on our website, but you can find it here on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Lavatools-OVT2-Thermometer-Dual-Sensor-Temperature/dp/B0769HXS4T
    Great of you to take the time to post and answer questions. 
    I have looked but unable to find price for replacement probes on the Carbon.

We're creating replacement and extra probes for Carbon and Element as we speak and should be up on Amazon and our website in a few weeks. Meanwhile you can reach our customer support at customerservice@lavatools.co and they can assist you with a custom order.
  • Lavatools
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    Lavatools said:
    HeavyG said:
    mwatts said:
    Anyone tried the Bluetooth thermometer? 
    I got a Carbon LITE when @Photo Egg mentioned the sale a couple weeks ago.

Have used it a couple times in my oven, including tonight when I used it to finish off a small pork butt I had had in the sous vide tank for the last 24ish hours.

Works well. I don't have any idea as to the range as my kitchen/den/patio are all within 40 feet and haven't had any problems. Next time I use it I'll try to remember to walk to the front of the house/yard and see how long it might reach.

I do like the ability of having one probe being able to provide the cooker temp and the food internal temp - one less wire to have to mess with.

The app is ok. One thing I wish it would do is also show a graph of the oven/grill temp rather than just a numeric readout on the main screen. It only provides a graph for the internal temp of the food (at least as far as I can figure out).

Since I've only used it in my electric oven so far I haven't thought to check if the app allows you to set a high/low temp alarm for the oven/grill temp. For grill use that is something I would like to be able to do.

I also wish the app would let you just run an ad hoc session where you can just set your food target temp right on the main screen. You have to create a new Profile and set the temp you want but that is pretty simple to do so not that big a deal.

It uses CR2032 batteries which I'm generally not a fan of. No idea as to how long they will last before needing replacement but for the sort of cooks I plan to use this for - a few hours or less - I'm hoping to be able to get a few dozen cooks out of a set.

Overall, I'm glad I got one and for the sale price it was a pretty good deal.

Thanks for your feedback! We've been working on trying to combine both ambient and main sensor readings onto one graph. As for the stand alone temperature alarm without the need for a profile, we will reflect that to our development team. We'll try to incorporate these features into our app.
    I see that your new Element thermometer allows HI/LOW alarms for the ambient/grill/oven temp. I'd love to have that ability on the Carbon, far more useful to me than the graph of ambient (which I'm guessing really wouldn't be of much interest to most users).

One other minor thing I like is that the cable for the probe is very flexible - makes it easier to coil up and not feel like you might kink the cable.
    Actually the Carbon app does have HI-LO bracketing for ambient sensor! I admit it is quite hidden tho. Simply press on the ambient reading ring on the home screen and a HI-LO temperature input will pop up. You can set the temps from there.
  • bikesAndBBQ
    bikesAndBBQ Posts: 284
    Options
    I’ve been wanting an instant read thermometer for a while. At that price point AND with a discount, I finally get one!  
    Pittsburgh, PA. LBGE
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,767
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Shout Out to the OP, I screwed my order up yesterday ( wondered why is was so cheap, but I am Armenian so I ran with it) realized I did not order the Pro, shot an email, quick response order was corrected in a couple minutes....

I see buffalo are sinking this thread
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • KennyCJR
    KennyCJR Posts: 262
    Options
    Doesn’t seem like 3rd party vendors should be a huge deal, unless there’s fee for being a vendor. 

I get that BGE sells similar products, but some members here are quasi sales reps for Blackstone, KAB, CGS, and others, what’s the difference?  Just askin’ =)

Disclaimer:  I do not endorse ½” thick steaks or ketchup. Lol
    Llano, TX   -  Med and XL BGE’s
  • KennyCJR
    KennyCJR Posts: 262
    Options
    Also ordered an MK4, for science.  Why isn’t this thread showing updates?

Llano, TX   -  Med and XL BGE’s
  • chuckytheegghead
    Options
    KennyCJR said:
    Also ordered an MK4, for science.  Why isn’t this thread showing updates?

It’s sinking. 
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    mwatts said:

Have used it a couple times in my oven, including tonight when I used it to finish off a small pork butt I had had in the sous vide tank for the last 24ish hours.

Works well. I don't have any idea as to the range as my kitchen/den/patio are all within 40 feet and haven't had any problems. Next time I use it I'll try to remember to walk to the front of the house/yard and see how long it might reach.

I do like the ability of having one probe being able to provide the cooker temp and the food internal temp - one less wire to have to mess with.

The app is ok. One thing I wish it would do is also show a graph of the oven/grill temp rather than just a numeric readout on the main screen. It only provides a graph for the internal temp of the food (at least as far as I can figure out).

Since I've only used it in my electric oven so far I haven't thought to check if the app allows you to set a high/low temp alarm for the oven/grill temp. For grill use that is something I would like to be able to do.

I also wish the app would let you just run an ad hoc session where you can just set your food target temp right on the main screen. You have to create a new Profile and set the temp you want but that is pretty simple to do so not that big a deal.

It uses CR2032 batteries which I'm generally not a fan of. No idea as to how long they will last before needing replacement but for the sort of cooks I plan to use this for - a few hours or less - I'm hoping to be able to get a few dozen cooks out of a set.

Can't get the Carbon to sync to my iPad.
    No issues getting it to work with me Android phone.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    Looks like BGE tanked this post
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Lavatools
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    HeavyG said:
    mwatts said:

Can't get the Carbon to sync to my iPad.
    No issues getting it to work with me Android phone.
    Can you let me know which iPad you have an what version of iOS it has?