Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Purchases that last a lifetime

Options

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I completely agree with Nola.  But how do you completely agree with Nola?
    I am insanely sane.
    Options
    I bought an estwing framing hammer and a skil wormdrive circular saw when i built my house. They will be lifetime purchases for sure.  

I have an estwing drilling hammer too, its a beast. 

All my made in Usa craftsman hand tools too. 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Check out Stiletto hammers. 

edited May 2018
    Options
    I bought an estwing framing hammer and a skil wormdrive circular saw when i built my house. They will be lifetime purchases for sure.  

I have an estwing drilling hammer too, its a beast. 

All my made in Usa craftsman hand tools too. 
    My roofer lost his Stiletto TiBone.
    We found it in the attic when he was putting on the finishing touches.

I could sense he was concerned, he educated me on them, and we were determined to find it.  

It would be like me losing a Littmann Cardiology III stethoscope.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Check out Stiletto hammers. 

Wow, craziness nola.  Great minds..... ;)
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,746
    Options
    Jeremiah said:
    TN_Egger said:
    Footjoy golf shoes and MacBook Air.
    Perfect response! Been looking into golf stuff, and the footjoy shoes are a regular mention. 
    I can't speak to durability, but there are more comfortable golf shoes than Footjoys. Eccos are tough to beat. Shoes are one thing I don't mind spending what it takes to get something nice.
    Stillwater, MN
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,086
    Options
    Savior No2 mattress, not lifetime, but 25 years is pretty good.

https://www.savoirbeds.com/store/our-beds/no-2
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,842
    Options
    This is not a cool
    answer.. but...

i took a lucrative work shift off to help the 12 year old girl here with her science project. A really cool idea about what color light helps plants grow the best. It’s an investment I’ll consider one of the best decisions I’ve ever made. 

Not really a “purchase,” I guess.
    I can’t wait for the next opportunity. ...
    That’s a very cool answer. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,349
    Options
    This is not a cool
    answer.. but...

i took a lucrative work shift off to help the 12 year old girl here with her science project. A really cool idea about what color light helps plants grow the best. It’s an investment I’ll consider one of the best decisions I’ve ever made. 

I think educating our children is about the best lifetime investment we can make as parents (and citizens).

Nothing cooler than that!

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Options
    Dualit toaster
    Le Creuset / Denby CI
    Olympus OM1
    Good quality tools (I have some that were my Grandafthers)
    Trees for the garden
    Eriba Puck

• Givengold3
    Givengold3 Posts: 77
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Two Sulcatta tortoises that will outlive me.  Omega Seamaster.  I'm a jeweler, but this one's not for sale.
    Concord, CA
  • Hoster05
    Hoster05 Posts: 312
    Options
    I’ve got a pair of ariat boots going on 10 years now, had them re-heeled twice but with a little yearly maintenance the leather looks brand new.  Wear them every day.  
    Mankato, MN - LBGE
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Mag-lite D cell flashlight.  Even after bashing in a few skulls, it still works like a charm.
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,842
    Options
    Springsteen’s “Born to Run” album on vinyl. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Evilzeg
    Evilzeg Posts: 12
    Options
    All-Clad Pans, Le Creuset Dutch Oven, KitchenAid Mixer, Vitamix, BGE, Wusthof Knife Set, Straight Razors, Various Sharpening Stones, Red Wing Iron Ranger and Moc Toe boots.
    Large BGE
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,975
    Options
    This is not a cool
    answer.. but...

I believe the children are our future.  Teach them well and let them lead the way.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • dweebs0r
    dweebs0r Posts: 539
    Options
    I disagree with all of the Lodge cast iron comments and would have to say Griswold vintage cast iron is the expensive and lifelong cast iron to buy.  Crazy expensive on ebay but affordable at garage sales and estate sales if people dont know what they are selling.  I replaced all of my new cast iron with the stuff.  A finish slick as glass that I can flip a fried egg in the air.  Try that with your Lodge.
       -Jody Newell (LBGE & a 36" Blackstone griddle).
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    Options
    WeberWho said:
    A Wilton Vise
    My big Wilton vise broke.  I'm guessing you can still get parts?
    You should be able to find parts online. Lots of posts out there with people restoring them.  
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,656
    Options
    In most took categories snap-on is simply the best. Certainly not necessary in all circumstances, but when I go to my box to grab a screw driver or pair of pliers I will reach past the off brand and grab a snappy all day.
     Snap-on tools do grow legs.
    I watch auctions and estate sales, unless your the only one that knows about it snap-on tools do bring good money, That said if your buying tools for a investment your nuts!
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• oldgeezeystax
    oldgeezeystax Posts: 313
    Options
    Good thread!

I'll add Darn Tough socks (I get mine on sale), they have a lifetime replacement warranty  :open_mouth:
    Frederick, MD - LBGE and some accessories
  • palmer2613
    palmer2613 Posts: 16
    Options
    St. Croix fishing rods
  • palmer2613
    palmer2613 Posts: 16
    Options
    Oh, and all-clad stainless cookware
  • Kent8621
    Kent8621 Posts: 843
    Options

my father in law still uses his 35 year old Honda lawn mower with no issues, I bought my first one a few years ago hoping to get another good run out it. 

as for golf shoes, I have tried several and always come back to footjoys.  I am lucky enough to walk 18 1-2 times every week and they are the only shoes that hold up and last.  my current pair has about 400 rounds on them and are still in great shape. 

2 Large Eggs - Raleigh, NC

Boiler Up!!

• Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Muhle safety razor and a good badger brush.
    Mont Blanc pen.
    Eames Lounge Chair
  • SamIAm2
    SamIAm2 Posts: 1,898
    Options
    All this talk of Snap-tools jogged my memory; takes me way back to 1972 - dang getting old. When I got transferred to NOTU during the MK-48 competition between Westinghouse and Gould systems we had full Snap-on Roll cabinets with top cabinets for each line. Those tools just felt right in my hand, a real pleasure to use. Tore down and rebuilt a lot of engines using those and never suffered hand fatigue. Couldn't afford them as a civilian so went with Craftsman, good tools but not the same feel. Thanks for the reminder. 
    Ubi panis, ibi patria.
    Large - Roswell rig, MiniMax-PS Woo; Cocoa, Fl.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,757
    Options
    my fly fishing reels...seamaster, abels, ari t harts, and ted godfreys.  i will be standing in my eastern lobster boat this weekend, coming up on 30 years, so far a new floor a few years back and new curtains this year. spent maybe 4500 on repairs so far which is cheap over the years and the time i spend on her
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,893
    Options
    While this is not a purchase I made, but instead a gift from my grandmother for graduation from high school some 56 years ago. Since taking this shot for a tool forum I was on a member there sent me the missing socket so the set is complete again. I still use this set regularly!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    This is the best wallet I have ever used, it has been 2.5 years and it looks like new, plus it has a lifetime warranty:  Ridge Aluminum  My wife's also looks like new, it is younger but it bounces around in her purse, which is a harder life than sitting in my pocket.

I've gone through like 4 laptop bags for a daily commute until I got the Mountain Briefcase.  It has the advantage of being made in Colorado as well, if you're interested in buying American made. 

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• 1voyager
    1voyager Posts: 1,157
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Mossberg pump, Craftsman tools, Toro lawn mower with Briggs and Stratton engine, Griswold cast iron, Birmingham Stove cast iron, Maytag washer and dryer, Cuisinart food processor, Hanks Belts, Briggs and Riley luggage, teak patio furniture.
    Large Egg, PGS A40 gasser.