Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Purchases that last a lifetime

Options

Comments

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited May 2018
    Options
    I got 3 years out of my $200 plus Red Wing work boots in the shop.  They didn't last any longer than any other decent steel toe boot.  Comfortable, no doubt.

Lucky to get 2 years out my Ecco Bioms at work.  They are by far, my favorite brand of shoe.  Have burned through all, Asics Kayano, Nimbus, highest end NBs.  The American made NB were the worst actually.  These Bioms have stood up to my abuse.  I bought two more pairs to stow away.  

Grateful to be introduced to Ecco working in the Dillard's Men's Shoe Dept through school.  Downtime I was trying everything on.  =)
    I recommend this investment to knee, hip, back health to everyone.  Their Track II boots are legendary.  I have abused them early hunting season.  Then I switch to Muck and Red Wing with Darn Tough Mountaineer socks for colder weather.  I'm kind of a shoe whore.  ;)
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• vb4677
    vb4677 Posts: 686
    Options
    American Made Fender Stratocaster

Kansas City: Too Much City for One State - Missouri side
    2 Large BGE's, Instant Pot, Anova Sous Vide, and a gas smoker...
    Barbeque, Homebrew and Blues...
  • Focker
    edited May 2018
    Options
    My Specialized Roubaix carbon fiber frame has not cracked with my fat a$$ on it.  Not one broken spoke or flat through RAGBRAI several years ago. 

And the carbon fiber Hoyt Spyder ZT34 bow survived a dry fire from my idiot self, walking away with minimal injury to my forearm.

Same goes for the Summit Titan climbing treestand.  My son will use that some day.
    Those may fall into the lifetime category.  

Brandon
    Quad Cities

• OshawaDave
    OshawaDave Posts: 198
    Options
    At the risk of seeming blasphemous....my Weber Gas grill has been a solid purchase. As well my Remington 870, Coleman naptha lantern and propane stove and  Swiss Army knife.

Weber Genesis CP310; Weber Q1200 (camping); LBGE.

"If you haven't heard a rumour by 8:30 am - start one"

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Focker said:
    My Specialized Roubaix carbon fiber frame has not cracked with my fat a$$ on it.  Not one broken spoke or flat through RAGBRAI several years ago.  That may fall into the lifetime category.  
    you do this one?

https://www.facebook.com/bacoonrideiowa/
  • Focker
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Focker said:
    My Specialized Roubaix carbon fiber frame has not cracked with my fat a$$ on it.  Not one broken spoke or flat through RAGBRAI several years ago.  That may fall into the lifetime category.  
    you do this one?

https://www.facebook.com/bacoonrideiowa/
    Yeah, we did it the first two years.  A fun filled 70 mile loop around the Des Moines area.  Bacon, bikes, beer, what's not to love? Lol
    The folks at RAGBRAI and Baconfest team up to organize this.  It grows every year.  
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,304
    Options
    Penn reels, Keen sandals, Toyota trucks
    Toyota makes some of the most durable trucks.  Unfortunately, they are only sold in Africa and Australia.
    217,000 miles on a 1991 Toyota pickup when I traded it to someone for some house repairs in 2007. He changed the fuel pump and it was still running last I knew. Now I admit the rear bumper was rusty from launching the boat that I had(Penn reels).
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,188
    Options
    SkySaw said:
    There are no shoes made, anywhere, that last more than 5 years if I'm wearing them daily.
    You can't wear them every day. You need to have a few pairs, and trade them out on a daily basis to let the leather shed any extra moisture they absorb from your feet. Rotating three pairs should last longer than just buying three pairs in a row.

About 25 years ago my father bought all his sons and sons-in-law a pair of really high quality shoes. I am still wearing mine, whereas one of my brothers-in-law wore his every day, and destroyed them in a year.
    I have 14 pairs of Allen Edmonds. They do wear out though. I’ve sent many back for recrafting. Once the leather is shot, there’s nothing that can be done. 
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    SkySaw said:
    There are no shoes made, anywhere, that last more than 5 years if I'm wearing them daily.
    You can't wear them every day. You need to have a few pairs, and trade them out on a daily basis to let the leather shed any extra moisture they absorb from your feet. Rotating three pairs should last longer than just buying three pairs in a row.

About 25 years ago my father bought all his sons and sons-in-law a pair of really high quality shoes. I am still wearing mine, whereas one of my brothers-in-law wore his every day, and destroyed them in a year.
    A pair of mediocre quality shoes can also last a lifetime if I just rotate them into a schedule with all the other shoes I own. :)
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• DoubleEgger
    Options
    It feels like this thread has veered from true lifetime purchases to brands that we think of as quality. Big difference between the two. 
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Getting it back on track....my lifetime purchase was the Ronco Reffer-matic. I still have it though it doesn't get used for its original purpose any more. I believe it still works though....as I see the wife using it to clean stems and seeds out of her baking flour (I guess). Talk about finding an new use for something.

Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Fred19Flintstone Posts: 8,168
    Options
    Getting it back on track....my lifetime purchase was the Ronco Reffer-matic. I still have it though it doesn't get used for its original purpose any more. I believe it still works though....as I see the wife using it to clean stems and seeds out of her baking flour (I guess). Talk about finding an new use for something.

Let me guess.  She likes to bake brownies, right?
    Flint, Michigan
  • Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Good high quality hand planes.  I've got some old Stanley's that have made it through a couple of other folks lifetimes and will for certain make it thru mine.
  • deuce
    deuce Posts: 2
    Options
    I remember when Coke was still cola, and a joint was a bad place to be.
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    Options
    That one purchase on Backpages.com that I can't seem to get rid of no matter how many lawyers I throw at it.
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    Options
    deuce said:

Back when a women could still cook, and still would... 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • northGAcock
    Options

no....she was a school teacher for many years and lives a very conservative life. Has had me on a similar path for the most part for quite a few years now.

• DoubleEgger
    Options
    SonVolt said:
    deuce said:

Back when a women could still cook, and still would... 
    That’s a slap in the face to all of the women eggers on the forum. 
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Fred19Flintstone Posts: 8,168
    Options

no....she was a school teacher for many years and lives a very conservative life. Has had me on a similar path for the most part for quite a few years now.
    That's terrific.  I was just funnin' ya.  We're pretty darn conservative ourselves. 
    Flint, Michigan
  • EggNorth
    EggNorth Posts: 1,535
    Options
    I purchase a Troy Bilt mower about 20 years ago, a mulcher only, no bag, no exit chute.  I probably changed the oil 3 or 4 times, 2 tune ups, on 2nd blade.   Winter I just roll it in the garage, first cut in spring takes two pulls, one after that.

I believe they changed the motor now that they use, but I will always buy this brand, will last my lifetime anyway.
    Dave
    Cambridge, Ontario - Canada
    Large (2010), Mini Max (2015), Large garden pot (2018)
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    It feels like this thread has veered from true lifetime purchases to brands that we think of as quality. Big difference between the two. 
    I've never quite bought into the "buy it for life" notion.

How much and how hard someone uses an item has a huge impact on whether something is a lifetime purchase and that can vary widely from one person to another.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    SkySaw said:

I have 14 pairs of Allen Edmonds. They do wear out though. I’ve sent many back for recrafting. Once the leather is shot, there’s nothing that can be done. 
    Alright, Imelda Marcos, approximately how many shoes do you own?   :o=)
    Options
    I don't think I own 14 pairs of socks.
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    The dust rag in my kids room. 
  • DoubleEgger
    Options
    Maybe 30 total @nolaegghead. The wife on the other hand is closer to 200. 
  • northGAcock
    Options

That's terrific.  I was just funnin' ya.  We're pretty darn conservative ourselves. 
    I know you were....as was i with the entire post. Oh the good ol days.

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    Maybe 30 total @nolaegghead. The wife on the other hand is closer to 200. 

I think I've got four pair, and that's if you count my flip flops and chest waders.

Phoenix 
  • Teefus
    Teefus Posts: 1,208
    Options
    My Lie-Nielsen hand tools, my Winchester model 94, my Glocks, my Telecaster.
    Michiana, South of the border.
  • Sammi
    Sammi Posts: 598
    Options
    How about Gravely tractors, haven't noticed them mentioned here yet. The only reason they change hands is if you get tired of using them. Some quality American iron in there!
    Sudbury, Ontario
  • SkySaw
    SkySaw Posts: 656
    Options
    Nice! I have 3 pairs of Allen Edmonds shoes and 1 pair of AE boots. As soon as I get a pair of shoes I put 2 layers of polish on them. I like my dress shoes to look good, so I keep them polished, I wipe any dirt or water off them at the end of the day, and keep them in shoe trees. There's no way to wear through the leather in those shoes with that kind of care.