Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Purchases that last a lifetime

Options

Comments

• Possumtrot
    Possumtrot Posts: 245
    Options
    Vortex Razor HD Gen II scope - lot, lot more than rifle it's on, '03 Dodge 2500 with Cummins (except dash is in many pieces)
    Near Music City in the Boro
    LBGE, Joe,Jr
    Free is better than cheap
    If it's worth telling, it's worth exaggerating

• JohnEggGio
    JohnEggGio Posts: 1,430
    Options
    Jeremiah said:
    TN_Egger said:
    Footjoy golf shoes and MacBook Air.
    Perfect response! Been looking into golf stuff, and the footjoy shoes are a regular mention. 
    Coming off of many years of FJ, just got a pair of Skechers - might be the most comfortable shoes I’ve ever had on my feet.
    Maryland, 1 LBGE
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Fred19Flintstone Posts: 8,168
    Options
    I really enjoy my Smith & Wesson revolvers before they started putting the "Hillary Hole" in 'em.  That's the integrated lock for you less informed.  I have a model 686 in 357 magnum and a model 15 in 38 special.  The model 15 I got for my birthday this year.  Sweet shooter!  It's what the cops carried when I was a youngster.  The actors carried model 15's in the show Adam-12.
    Flint, Michigan
  • mEGG_My_Day
    mEGG_My_Day Posts: 1,653
    Options
    My wife cost a fortune, but I guess she'll last a lifetime. 
    Memphis, TN 

LBGE, 2 SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    1970’s Schwinn Heavy Duty.  

Outta my way, I’ve got papers to deliver!
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Jeremiah said:
    TN_Egger said:
    Footjoy golf shoes and MacBook Air.
    Perfect response! Been looking into golf stuff, and the footjoy shoes are a regular mention. 
    PINGs should be on your list. 
  • MJG
    MJG Posts: 598
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Omega watches, Kitchen Aid mixers, Weber gas grills, Leathernan tools, Zippo lighters. 
    Large Big Green Egg in a nest. North Shore of Boston.
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    I have a treadmill that’ll last a lifetime. I forget the brand...
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,487
    Options
    JohnEggGio said:  
    ... just got a pair of Skechers - might be the most comfortable shoes I’ve ever had on my feet.
    Be VERY careful, going down a flight of stairs the first time; they throw your balance off in a dangerous manner.  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,304
    Options
    I’ve got that lawn mower also. I tend to save up for better grades on big purchases then keep them going as long as possible.
  • Grillinois
    Grillinois Posts: 165
    Options
    Benchmade knives. Le Creuset. All Clad. Lodge cast iron.
    Joliet, IL
    Large, Mini, Stoker, Smobot
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Underwear. Try to take them, I dare you.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Bag of Cowboy Lump.
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    Add these to the list 

Pyrex dishes
    Corningware casserole dishes with the blue cornflower

• Fred19Flintstone
    Fred19Flintstone Posts: 8,168
    Options
    Add these to the list 

Pyrex dishes
    Corningware casserole dishes with the blue cornflower

I'm sorry to differ with you, but Corningware casserole dishes that are most durable have the green ivy design.
    Flint, Michigan
  • DuckDogDr
    DuckDogDr Posts: 1,549
    edited May 2018
    Options
    My 5.9 Cummins dodge..manual everything...windows, locks and transmission ....the 73 scout if I can keep the varmints out of it 

Carve my own duck decoys out of wood vs buying the cheap plastic.

Agree with Snap On tools

My fishing reels

Oh yea and this large Big Green Egg thing

Staying away from diamond rings...they dont seem to cause anything but misery lol
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    Options
    A Wilton Vise
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    WeberWho said:
    A Wilton Vise
    My big Wilton vise broke.  I'm guessing you can still get parts?
    Options
    Oboz Bridger Boots, marmot tents (2), LL Beane dome tent, Osprey backpacks, Kelty K2 external, platypus water filter, UV light for water purification, Goal Zero, Chacos, Feathered Friends -10 2 person sleeping bag,
    I could go on....Yakima Storage Pod, everything Yeti, BGEs (2).....Outdoor Research ice picks (2), Tungsten crampons,  so many more.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • nolaegghead
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Snap-on tools vs Others (decent quality - Craftsman, Kobalt, Husky, etc.):

Unless you are a professional mechanic or made of money, buying new Snap-on tools is a foolish purchase.  They depreciate by 50% when you walk out the door.  They depreciate even more when you engrave them, and they are wholesaled at 10-20% retail in estate auctions.

They're some of the best tools money can buy.  But from the perspective of buying lifetime products, you don't need a $1200 3/8" socket set if you want to buy a lifetime set one-time.

Do they make you a better mechanic?  No.
    Do they make a good investment?  Hell no.
    Do they have the propensity to grow legs?  F-yeah.
    Do they have sexy calendars on the Snap-on truck?  Yep.

Every decent mechanics tool/tool set (sockets, wrenches, pliers, etc...sans electric, pneumatic, etc) have a lifetime warranty.

I have some Snap-on stuff, it's awesome.  But have I ever encountered a situation where I said "oh f*ck, I can't get this nut or bolt off, I need to buy a Snap-on tool at 20x the price of anyone else".   No.  I have never said that, and it's because you don't have much in the way of magic with Snap-on that isn't already figured out with simple physics.  Unless you do it for a living, that's when it *might* make it worth it.

A large number of mechanics go to the grave owing Snap-on money.  They are fools.   (the mechanics, not Snap-on, they are smart).

Options
    Penn reels, Keen sandals, Toyota trucks
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    My brother is a mechanic and he has a fortune in Snap-on tools (I think he keeps most of them at home because they grow legs.  One trick he told me is to use 1/4 drives for everything you can.  1/4" sockets have small walls, fit everywhere, are light....if you want to work fast it can be an advantage.  Cheaper sockets will break, the Snap-on is much less likely to break, and if you do break something, the truck will come...and you'll walk off with a free replacement and probably a poster of a half-naked tool babe.  Life is good.
    Options
    Penn reels, Keen sandals, Toyota trucks
    Toyota makes some of the most durable trucks.  Unfortunately, they are only sold in Africa and Australia.
    Options
    I have a small fortune in Festool tools.  They are not the most durable out there, but they are the best performing, by an order of magnitude. 

Durability and quality can diverge.  You can drop a Milwaukee circular saw off a ladder and there's a good chance it will still work.  Drop a Festool circular saw off a ladder and you're out $550-750. 
    Options
    Penn Reels, Breitling and Omega Watches, Cast iron cookware, Xtra Tuf Boots
    Cheers,

Jason

Orange County- CA
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

My never ending roll of pink butcher paper.  Doubt I'll ever need to buy more.

Phoenix 
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    Honestly, it is getting harder and harder to live by that philosophy.  The build quality for things these days is junk.  99% of things are made as cheaply and quickly as possible.  Things are built to fail and be tossed, then buy again...
    You say that like it's a bad thing. :)

Not everything needs to be built to last forever. Lots of items become better in other ways - safety, efficiency, convenience, etc. as time goes by.

I'm glad that the 1967 Ford Fairlane I learned to drive with isn't still around because my current car is much better in almost every way.

My old high end Sony BetaMax player in the attic probably still works but other than for nostalgic reasons why would I want it to run?

I don't think today is much different than "the good old days". Lot's of crap was made then just as it is now. What's really different these days is that we are able to buy more stuff in a wider range of price ranges and expected (and often realized) quality levels.

Also, our economy is built on the idea of never ending consumption. If nothing ever broke economic chaos would result.

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,844
    Options
    blasting said:

My never ending roll of pink butcher paper.  Doubt I'll ever need to buy more.

This. 

And my Pentax K1000

And my FireWire flexible skewers. 

Sadly (or not), I’ll probably outlast my 1993 Del Sol. 

And my Ginsu knife I got in 1983 with my wok. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Grillinois
    Grillinois Posts: 165
    Options
    I completely agree with Nola.  But how do you completely agree with Nola?
    Joliet, IL
    Large, Mini, Stoker, Smobot
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,844
    Options
    I completely agree with Nola.  But how do you completely agree with Nola?
    One of life’s great questions. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX