Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: Tikka Masala Pizza Sauce

JohnInCarolina
JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,867
edited May 2018 in Off Topic
Couple folks asked for this one after I made some of the pizzas at Butt Blast with it.  It's a riff off of the recipe in Fetterman's Sous Vide at Home book.  As @caliking says, I have gringo-fied it.  

Ingredients:

1 TBS canola oil

3TBS butter
1 shallot, minced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 TSP ground ginger

1.5 cups tomato-puree 
1 TB sugar
2 TB curry powder
1 TSP kosher salt
1 TSP paprika
1 TSP honey
1 TBS ground tumeric
1/2 TSP ground cumin
1/2 TSP ground coriander
1/2 TSP cayenne pepper

1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
1 pint heavy cream

S&P to taste

Process:

Over medium heat in a large skillet, heat up 1 TBS of canola oil until it shimmers.  Add in the butter, shallot, garlic, and ginger.  Cook 3-5 minutes until softened, stirring frequently.  Add in sugar, curry powder, salt, and paprika.  Stir to combine.

Add the tomato puree, sugar, curry powder, salt, paprika, honey, tumeric, cumin, coriander, and cayenne pepper.  Stir to combine.  Bring the mixture to a simmer and remove from the heat.  

Add in the yogurt and stir.  The mixture should change color from a deep red to a deep orange with the yogurt.

At this point you'll have a fairly thick paste in front of you.   This is where things get Americanized, mofos.   At this point  add as much or as little of the heavy cream as you want to thin it out and get to the consistency you want.  It will still be fairly thick compared to most pizza sauces, but that's ok.  

Season with salt and pepper to taste.  I just use a pinch of each.  

I use this as a base on pizza.  I top with red onions, grilled chicken, and fresh mozz.  The end result is a fusion of chicken tikka masala, something close to naan bread (with the pizza dough), and goodness.  

"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike

Comments

• JethroVA
    JethroVA Posts: 1,251
    beautiful 
    Richmond and Mathews County, VA. Large BGE, Weber gas, little Weber charcoal. Vintage ManGrates. Little reddish portable kamado that shall remain nameless here.  Very Extremely Stable Genius. 
  • MnMmaster
    MnMmaster Posts: 16
    I wish I was eating that pizza right now it looks beautiful. A great fusion ish type dish. I just might have to try this one of these days
  • Thanks John!  I’ll make this happen Sunday. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• JohnInCarolina
    MnMmaster said:
    I wish I was eating that pizza right now it looks beautiful. A great fusion ish type dish. I just might have to try this one of these days
    If you like Indian food at all, it’s definitely worth a shot. 
  • cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,188
    looks incredible, thanks for posting the recipe with it
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    It may be gringo-fied, but I definitely would have eaten more CTM pies if you had made them at BB. They were good. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Yep.  Thanks for sharing dookie.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,323
    One could say that you Americanized it when you added the paprika, cayenne, and tomato sauce.

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• JohnInCarolina
    HeavyG said:
    One could say that you Americanized it when you added the paprika, cayenne, and tomato sauce.

Ok.
  • caliking
    HeavyG said:

Not quite. CTM is actually a British concoction, if you want to get technical. And it has the cayenne and tomato for sure. 

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    Are you freaking kidding me?????
    Awesome dude, will be trying that one...
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • bgebrent
    YukonRon said:
    Are you freaking kidding me?????
    Awesome dude, will be trying that one...
    Ron, settle down my friend.  Will taste of Laetner.
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    edited May 2018
    Man that looks, sounds, (and if I remember correctly) tastes amazing.

But...are you appropriating?
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • bgebrent
    DMW said:
    Man that looks, sounds, (and if I remember correctly) tastes amazing.

But...are you appropriating?
    Clearly...
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901

“There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG said:

Ok.
    Paprika, cayenne, and tomatoes are native to the Americas, thus "Americanized".

It was funnier in my head. :)
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    caliking said:
    HeavyG said:

Not quite. CTM is actually a British concoction, if you want to get technical. And it has the cayenne and tomato for sure. 
    Dammit!  I thought I was cooking some Indian shît!  We love CTM. 
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,453
    Sounds and looks incredible, cooked in RB?
    canuckland
  • bgebrent
    caliking said:
    HeavyG said:

You couldn’t float CTM on a good day.
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    caliking said:
    HeavyG said:

You can read all about it:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicken_tikka_masala

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • theyolksonyou
    I was making CTM pizza when CTM pizza wasn’t cool, bîtch!
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent said:
    caliking said:
    HeavyG said:

Click Agree
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352
    I had a pizza with this exact same sauce the last time i connected thru the Atlanta airport.  It was amazing.  Thanks for the thread.  
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • I was making CTM pizza when CTM pizza wasn’t cool, bîtch!

Little Rock, AR

• theyolksonyou
    I was making CTM pizza when CTM pizza wasn’t cool, bîtch!

Someone ALWAYS gets it on this forum. 
  • HeavyG
    caliking said:
    HeavyG said:

Most folks seem to credit CTM to a chef from Bangladesh working in a restaurant in Glasgow and my Scottish ancestors wouldn't take too kindly to being considered "British". :)

I only commented on the three "American" ingredients as I recently finished an interesting book titled "The Food Explorer: The True Adventures of the Globe-Trotting Botanist Who Transformed What America Eats" and it's had me thinking about where various items originated and how they have spread around the world.

I should have provided some context with my original post.

• I was making CTM pizza when CTM pizza wasn’t cool, bîtch!

Someone ALWAYS gets it on this forum. 
    From my hat down to my boots.............

Little Rock, AR

• bgebrent
    bgebrent said:
    bgebrent said:
    caliking said:
    HeavyG said:

Click Agree
    Finally getting my troll count up!
  • John I’m so glad I pm’d you for this today. 

I learned....so many interesting things from this thread. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• caliking
    HeavyG said:
    caliking said:
    HeavyG said:

Most folks seem to credit CTM to a chef from Bangladesh working in a restaurant in Glasgow and my Scottish ancestors wouldn't take too kindly to being considered "British". :)

I only commented on the three "American" ingredients as I recently finished an interesting book titled "The Food Explorer: The True Adventures of the Globe-Trotting Botanist Who Transformed What America Eats" and it's had me thinking about where various items originated and how they have spread around the world.

I should have provided some context with my original post.
    The context helps, for sure. Thanks for the title of the book - I'll see if my library has it.

Lore has it that Chicken Tikka Masala was concocted in __________  (UK/Scotland/somewhere not in the Indian subcontinent) when a restaurateur took tandoori chicken, and dumped it  in a sauce made from canned tomato soup and other stuff. Sort of like the story behind potato chips. The sauce is similar to Butter Chicken, which is popular in India, but has more prominent garam masala flavors (stuff like mace, nutmeg, etc.) than Butter Chicken does. 

Interwebz can't get it straight whether the guy was Indian or Pakistani. I'm guessing that the guy who invented CTM was Pakistani, since Bangladeshi folks don't seem to cook with cream much (if at all).

And only here will you find a bunch of folks quibbling about how chicken tikka masala came to be :) Keeps things lively though!