Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

The Mistakes We’ve Made

Options

Comments

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    When I was starting to make bread.
    It looked good:

From the top anyway, flip it over and...

Where is the bottom of that boule on the right?

Oh yeah, that would be inextricably stuck in the Dutch Oven. Took a bit of cleaning and re-seasoning to get that right again.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Scraped the toppings and practiced my disc golf backhand.  Crust ended up against the fence.  Left it there for a couple of months, the critters didn't even want a bite, as it was intact in Spring.  This bucket page explains a lot. Lol
    It looked great from the dome hole.

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• GoooDawgs
    GoooDawgs Posts: 1,060
    Options
    dmchicago said: look
    Oh - one other thing I've done - gotten the temp on the Egg up so high the dome thermo wrapped around.  All happened while I was inside.  Came out and wondered how in the world the temp was still below 200F.  Nope.  
    Yeah...did this a few times back in the early days.
    Done this one as well.   This was also one of the few times I've forgotten to burp the egg.  A fireball the size of the XL dome shot out and scared me to death.   I now always burp it...
    Milton, GA 
    XL BGE & FB300
  • piney
    piney Posts: 1,478
    Options
    piney said:

But I have never spilled beer in Kitty’s pickup at Butt Blast.”

Lookin at you @piney
    Who is Kitty??
    I nominate @piney for the Miss “It’s Not A Mistake If You Keep Drinkin” 2018!!
    Adam,  are ya'll going to Ga Mtn?
    Lenoir, N.C.
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,950
    Options
    piney said:
    piney said:

But I have never spilled beer in Kitty’s pickup at Butt Blast.”

Lookin at you @piney
    Who is Kitty??
    I nominate @piney for the Miss “It’s Not A Mistake If You Keep Drinkin” 2018!!
    Adam,  are ya'll going to Ga Mtn?

"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    I've made a couple of doozie mistakes over the years!!

First one was thinking the more smoke the better.  Cooking chicken quarters for the in-laws and kept feeding wood in every time the smoke cleared.  By the time they were done it was like eating an ashtray.  Not only did I have heartburn for a week but the fridge smelled like the interior of the egg just from having the leftovers inside (even though they were in a ziplock freezer bag).

Second one was assuming that my knit BBQ glove had a slow enough heat transfer rate to remove a hot platesetter.  Uhhhhh.....No!  Blisters across 3 fingers.

There are plenty more but those are the top 2.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • bradleya123
    bradleya123 Posts: 466
    Options
    Just when I thought I was the only dummy, I'm pretty sure I've done a lot of these fails but my biggest is taking a very proud picture of a cook with a fork in the picture, I had no idea that was no no...
    Retired Navy, LBGE
    Pinehurst, NC

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    failing to learn from mistakes like burning store bought pizza dough at 700 degrees dome =) i take my store bought pizza dough to 1200 dome. you just needed to reroute the heat flow and add more thermal mass under the pie =) much more fun pointing out other folks failures.

used merlot in the tbird gravy once, makes for purple gravy, you wont live that down no matter how good it tastes.  made bbq ribs from corned ribs once, only cook i could not eat, turned into a salt lick. then theres always that great idea to drink hard stuff late at night after drinking beers all day, cant say i only did that once, just glad i dont get hangovers. they look brutal.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options

Too many screw ups to count.  Coming from a kettle, I was used to direct and indirect being in different hemispheres.  Took me an embarrassingly long time to figure out how to cook poultry without ruining the skin or burning it.

XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • JethroVA
    JethroVA Posts: 1,251
    Options
    Plugged in electric charcoal starter.  Then forgot about it.  
    Richmond and Mathews County, VA. Large BGE, Weber gas, little Weber charcoal. Vintage ManGrates. Little reddish portable kamado that shall remain nameless here.  Very Extremely Stable Genius. 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    JethroVA said:
    have done that with two benzomatic mapp torches, once the torch head catches on fire(plastic and rubber in the torch head itself) scary as hell to grab it and toss it into the lake B)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    DMW said:
    Mickey said:
    Nuff said:

This is still probably my favorite pic I've ever seen on the forum.
    Best ever.  Love the crust.
    it's perfect.  i still look at the front most wing and think, why is he grilling lump? oh wait.... oh no.... 
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • JohnInCarolina
    edited May 2018
    Options
    JethroVA said:
    have done that with two benzomatic mapp torches, once the torch head catches on fire(plastic and rubber in the torch head itself) scary as hell to grab it and toss it into the lake B)
    I thought that throwing pipe bombs into a lake in Maine was just called “fishing”. 
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    DMW said:
    Mickey said:
    Nuff said:

This is still probably my favorite pic I've ever seen on the forum.
    New meaning to Pittsburgh style

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • JRWhitee
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Forgot to burp the egg on more than one occasion.

First Brisket: 6lb flat, pulled at 160 so I wouldnt over cook it. Ever eat shoe leather?

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • evie1370
    evie1370 Posts: 506
    Options

Did a Travis brisket-started early in morning, by 8 PM still not done. Ate it anyway with the neighbor, who we promised some too-amazing the man still talks to me.

Second-baked Pretzels on the Egg-temp was 450. Didn't burp, think I didn't need to. Well-opened Egg, fire shot past me and narrowly missed setting me on fire. Lost some eyelashes and bit of hair but OK. Hubby looks outside, asks what happened and with a worried look asked "are the pretzels OK"? Amazing thing is I am still married to him.

Medium BGE in Cincinnati OH.

"

"I don't know what effect these men will have upon the enemy, but, by God, they frighten me. " Duke of Wellington, Battle of Waterloo.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    3rd cook. Had never done beef short ribs, was clueless. Direct, raised, 350 for about 45 minutes. Looked good, smelled nice, shut down the Egg, and took the pieces inside. Shoe leather on bone. Went back to the Egg, saw that there were a few lumps still glowing. Took off the daisy, opened the bottom wide, put the ribs back on.

10 minutes later, went out to see a blue jet coming from the Egg. Freaked. Opened the Egg, not good, fire ball. Calmed down a bit, and got the daisy on, and the vent closed.

20 minutes later i was able to retrieve the 6 exquisite sticks of beef charcoal, each of which had maybe 1.5 bites of still edible meat in center.
  • HoustonEgger
    HoustonEgger Posts: 616
    Options

This was my first smoked pork butt & only 2nd cook on my egg - Crica 2007. Notice the already charred gasket, lack of a plate setter and the burned drippings in the drip pan. Can't recall too clearly but I don't recall it tasting all that bad - but holy smokes was I way off!
    Formerly of Houston, TX - Now Located in Bastrop, TX
    I work in the 'que business now (since 2017)

6 Eggs: (1) XL, (2) Large, (1) Small, (1) Minimax & (1) Mini - Egging since 2007
    Also recently gained: (1) Gas Thing (came with the house), (1) 36" Blackstone Griddle & (1) Pitts & Spitts Pellet Smoker
  • MattBTI
    MattBTI Posts: 417
    Options
    Something happened to my cake 

lol, I find that hilarious! That cake looks like a prolapsed anus. 
    Pratt, KS
  • Hntnhrd
    Hntnhrd Posts: 713
    Options
    My biggest mistake was waiting so long to get an egg. My second biggest mistake was jointing this forum and seeing all the cool **** I just had to spend extra money on!!!  =)
  • JRWhitee
    Options

It looks like a birthday cake for @SGH

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • JohnInCarolina
    edited May 2018
    Options
    JRWhitee said:

It looks like a birthday cake for @SGH
    Yeah Michael if you can reproduce that, you might have a small business on your hands.  #AnusCakes
  • kingsmoke
    kingsmoke Posts: 151
    Options
    Hntnhrd said:
    My biggest mistake was waiting so long to get an egg. My second biggest mistake was jointing this forum and seeing all the cool **** I just had to spend extra money on!!!  =)
    I've spent far more on accessories I  Never knew existed and other must things like overpriced coolers and a Blackstone than on the Egg. No regrets tho.  My wife just shakes her head when fed ex backs in the driveway........ again
    Grand Rapids , Mi
    LBGE -  28Blackstone - Saber grill
  • etherdome
    etherdome Posts: 471
    Options
    Did a clean burn once and forgot to check on it. BGE thermometer wrapped all the way back around to 300. Scared the absolute hell out of me. Had a set of traditional bge gaskets which basically fused.  Nothing bad actually happened but Had to do some readjusting of the bands soon after. Followed it up with a Rutland gasket. 
    Upstate SC
    Large BGE,  Blackstone, Weber genesis , Weber charcoal classic
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,889
    Options
    I know I have already posted one, and then today I thought of another. That involved an early cook of a pork butt using my wife's deceased grandmother's cake pan as a drip pan. BTW her grandmother taught home ec for 40 years down in the bootheel of MO. Hard to even guess how many cakes were baked in it.

I have never been able to get that pan any cleaner than this with scouring, harsh chemicals or a few hours of elbow grease! Perhaps a random orbital sander might do the trick, but now all these years later that pan has been "out of sight - out of mind" for my wife.

Well, the nice thing that came from the disaster was since that sorry day on I ALWAYS wrap any drip pan and my PS with foil!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,618
    Options
    I ran out of beer during a cook...twice.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,174
    Options
    Have you tried an SOS pad after a hot soak @RRP? I’ve brought a few back from the grave over the years when nothing else would work. 
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,889
    Options
    Have you tried an SOS pad after a hot soak @RRP? I’ve brought a few back from the grave over the years when nothing else would work. 
    Actually YES I did. I think the problem was the very rough deep scratches in that probably 55 year old pan from Home Ec students at least that has been my alibi all these years!  =)  =)=)

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,174
    Options
    RRP said:
    Actually YES I did. I think the problem was the very rough deep scratches in that probably 55 year old pan from Home Ec students at least that has been my alibi all these years!  =)  =)=)

One of those rubber adhesive remover wheels for your drill might work. Then again, tossing it in a back cabinet is a good option.