Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

The Mistakes We’ve Made

Options

Comments

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    RRP said:
    I know I have already posted one, and then today I thought of another. That involved an early cook of a pork butt using my wife's deceased grandmother's cake pan as a drip pan. BTW her grandmother taught home ec for 40 years down in the bootheel of MO. Hard to even guess how many cakes were baked in it.

I have never been able to get that pan any cleaner than this with scouring, harsh chemicals or a few hours of elbow grease! Perhaps a random orbital sander might do the trick, but now all these years later that pan has been "out of sight - out of mind" for my wife.

Well, the nice thing that came from the disaster was since that sorry day on I ALWAYS wrap any drip pan and my PS with foil!
    Am I the only one who sees a picture of a bearded man in @RRP burnt cake pan? 
    I think that’s @johnmitchell
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    edited May 2018
    Options

That is really funny as I had not seen what YOU pointed out, But another image of a shrouded man with a beard when I just squinted and sat back a ways and I saw that "image" also! Forget the 3rd left eye! To see what I saw look at say 11:00 to 5:00
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    JRWhitee said:
    Forgot to burp the egg on more than one occasion.

First Brisket: 6lb flat, pulled at 160 so I wouldnt over cook it. Ever eat shoe leather?
    Only one thing worse and that is not telling your wife about burping an Egg. She would not touch any Eggs for several  years after that. 
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    RRP said:
    I know I have already posted one, and then today I thought of another. That involved an early cook of a pork butt using my wife's deceased grandmother's cake pan as a drip pan. BTW her grandmother taught home ec for 40 years down in the bootheel of MO. Hard to even guess how many cakes were baked in it.

I have never been able to get that pan any cleaner than this with scouring, harsh chemicals or a few hours of elbow grease! Perhaps a random orbital sander might do the trick, but now all these years later that pan has been "out of sight - out of mind" for my wife.

Well, the nice thing that came from the disaster was since that sorry day on I ALWAYS wrap any drip pan and my PS with foil!

I think that’s Mick Foley.  
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,978
    Options
    Closer to Brother Dege.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    I’ve successfully buried all memories of my bad cooks so deep that I can only remember the good ones now. 

But I do recall a prime packer that I put on one weekend morning.

As soon as I put it on the grid, I hear caliprince (few months old at the time) wailing on the baby monitor. Figure SWMBO will get him. More wailing. Run in to see what’s up. Forget to check the vents. Little runt takes forever to go back to sleep. I run back out to find the egg going at 700ish. Brisket got a GOOD sear. Manage to salvage it (sort of). And ordered a FlameBoss unit before the day was out. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    caliking said:
    I’ve successfully buried all memories of my bad cooks so deep that I can only remember the good ones now. 

But I do recall a prime packer that I put on one weekend morning.

As soon as I put it on the grid, I hear caliprince (few months old at the time) wailing on the baby monitor. Figure SWMBO will get him. More wailing. Run in to see what’s up. Forget to check the vents. Little runt takes forever to go back to sleep. I run back out to find the egg going at 700ish. Brisket got a GOOD sear. Manage to salvage it (sort of). And ordered a FlameBoss unit before the day was out. 
    Nothing like brisket chips =)
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
  • thetrim
    Options
    Substantial air gap in some places...not so much in others.   
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • jeffwit
    jeffwit Posts: 1,348
    Options
    Good thing eggs are so well insulated that the outside doesn’t get hot at all. Otherwise that guy’s table would be in danger of catching fire and his egg fall through. That would be devastating. 
    But kinda fun to watch on video, though. 
    Jefferson, GA
    XL BGE, MM, Things to flip meat over and stuff
    Wife, 3 kids, 5 dogs, 4 cats, 12 chickens, 2 goats, 2 pigs. 
    “Honey, we bought a farm.”
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Just as likely to break in two.  Ceramics don’t do all that well in tension when heated.
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    jeffwit said:
    Good thing eggs are so well insulated that the outside doesn’t get hot at all. Otherwise that guy’s table would be in danger of catching fire and his egg fall through. That would be devastating. 
    I hope this is sarcasm.  Otherwise, I’ll advise you not to touch your egg when cooking at high temps. 
  • jeffwit
    Options
    jeffwit said:
    I hope this is sarcasm.  Otherwise, I’ll advise you not to touch your egg when cooking at high temps. 
    Sarcasm is the language I am most proficient in. 

Jefferson, GA
  • bgebrent
    Options
    jeffwit said:
    jeffwit said:

Jason is dead. Have no concerns.
  • jeffwit
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    jeffwit said:
    jeffwit said:

Again?
    Jefferson, GA
  • thetrim
    Options
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • bgebrent
    Options
    jeffwit said:
    bgebrent said:
    jeffwit said:
    jeffwit said:

Again?
    Repeatedly. That’s why we bring out our dead.
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    jeffwit said:
    bgebrent said:
    jeffwit said:
    jeffwit said:

Again?
    I’ve gotten betta 
  • bgebrent
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    jeffwit said:
    bgebrent said:
    jeffwit said:
    jeffwit said:

Again?
    I’ve gotten betta 
    Clunk!
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,491
    Options
    Speaking of mistakes, there's a good chance I'll be fired today.  Will write more tonight.   :|

Tin soldiers and Johnson's coming...

• billt01
    billt01 Posts: 1,530
    Options
    Something happened to my cake 

balloon knot
    Have:
     XLBGE / Stumps Baby XL / Couple of Stokers (Gen 1 and Gen 3) / Blackstone 36 / Maxey 3x5 water pan hog cooker
    Had:
    LBGE / Lang 60D / Cookshack SM150 / Stumps Stretch / Stumps Baby

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• buzzvol
    buzzvol Posts: 534
    Options
    @Botch, that sucks.
    Where's the "don't like" button .
    Lawrenceville, GA
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    jeffwit said:
    bgebrent said:
    jeffwit said:
    jeffwit said:

Again?
    Did someone say Dead?

Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Botch said:
    Speaking of mistakes, there's a good chance I'll be fired today.  Will write more tonight.   :|
    Dude!  
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Botch said:
    That just sucks....good vibes sent your way.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Options
    billt01 said:
    Something happened to my cake 

balloon knot
    I thought we all agreed not to post any pictures of Robins backside! 

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    Botch said:
    Night putting with the General’s daughter?
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,393
    Options
    Botch said:
    Say it ain't so, Botch.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.