Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

The Mistakes We’ve Made

Options

Comments

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,467
    Options
    Botch said:
    I never liked using the Ash Tool to clean out the bottom of the bowl through the Intake, even on my large but especially the Small.  I got the bright idea that my leaf blower would not only clean out the bottom of the bowl, but behind the bowl too, eliminating disassembly to clean forever!  
    It worked, and very quickly, too!  
    I couldn't see that it worked, however, for at least 15 minutes, and that was after I (barely) was able to resume breathing.  I had to strip off my shoes, socks, pants and shirt, shake them out, then take them directly to the washing machine.  Then I had to clean the porch.  
    No alcohol was involved.  And if it was, I'da probably had to dump it out, too.  
    oof-dah.  
    That is how I clean mine out. I turn the blower on low and start from a distance walking up to it. I quickly raise the nozzle to blow the cloud toward the pesky neighbors and then lower it. Lather, rinse, and repeat. I works like a champ with a medium and now my aunt with the XL does it too.
    Hmm, guess its like not turning on a blender on High, full of hot soup.  Still don't think I'll try it again (got a $19 "black friday" shop vacuum that works well, especially with a KAB).  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    Got ready to smoke a deer ham. Temp stabilized, ham trimmed and rubbed. Forgot platesetter. That **** had some heavy bark. 

Little Rock, AR

• Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    Mad props for you spacing out your thoughts. 

I cant paragraph on here. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    That’s some good stuff guys! Most of you saw my most recent pizza cook... the other one that stands out was 4 or so years ago my in laws had me smoke a ham for Easter. Threw it on went to church came back temp was at 400 and had scorched it. Luckily MiL had also done a turkey
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    I didn’t do it but somebody allowed  @Killit_and_Grillit access to post on this forum. Talk about epic fail.
    Listen here you son of.....hey, squirrel. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    I didn’t do it but somebody allowed  @Killit_and_Grillit access to post on this forum. Talk about epic fail.
    Still trying to explain to everyone....."I swear I was not drunk enough to forget about my crawdads I left in my vehicle." 

Never happened, because Adam has such a great memory......
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Options
    Oh - one other thing I've done - gotten the temp on the Egg up so high the dome thermo wrapped around.  All happened while I was inside.  Came out and wondered how in the world the temp was still below 200F.  Nope.  
    Yeah...did this a few times back in the early days.
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,944
    Options
    Mad props for you spacing out your thoughts. 

I cant paragraph on here. 
    You don’t strike me as the kind of dude who can paragraph anywhere.  No offense.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    Still trying to explain to everyone....."I swear I was not drunk enough to forget about my crawdads I left in my vehicle." 

You know it was Adams late night plate.  Everyone else has been so honest.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Everything I have ever made has always been awesome and never have I ever messed something up.

I mean, seriously, what is wrong with you people? Why can't you just be perfect like me?

:duckandcover:
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    YukonRon said:

Yeah....you know that boy ain’t right!
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • jeffwit
    jeffwit Posts: 1,348
    Options
    Focker said:
    WeberWho said:
    Don't drive over it
    Been there done that, not an egg, but a campground grill.

Did that once in my RV. 
    Jefferson, GA
    XL BGE, MM, Things to flip meat over and stuff
    Wife, 3 kids, 5 dogs, 4 cats, 12 chickens, 2 goats, 2 pigs. 
    “Honey, we bought a farm.”
  • SaltySam
    SaltySam Posts: 887
    Options
    Reverse seared a Prime rib on Christmas.  So much smoke, from the fat dripping onto the hot coals.  I smelled like a campfire when I came back in with a torched, medium well 8lb roast.  

Lots of mashed potatoes that Christmas 

LBGE since June 2012

Omaha, NE

• Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    YukonRon said:

In the “assumed” words of @n@nolaegghead  “I have been drunk. But I have never been so drunk to lose place of my crawdads.

Or or maybe I have. I drink like a gladiator.

But I have never spilled beer in Kitty’s pickup at Butt Blast.”

Lookin at you @piney

South of Nashville, TN

• bgebrent
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    YukonRon said:

In the “assumed” words of @n@nolaegghead  “I have been drunk. But I have never been so drunk to lose place of my crawdads.

Lookin at you @piney
    Never tell anyone you’ve lost your crawdads.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    Well - about 2 years into Eggdom I wanted to fix a kick-butt breakfast one Sunday after we had invited Pat's sister and her husband. The recipe which I had gotten from the forum called for 2 scrambled eggs per person, which made sense. Then it also called for 1.5 quarts of water in a big casserole dish. That part seemed strange, but the recipe had been raved about. So I found the large dish, poured in the water and then cracked and added 8 eggs. Then the recipe called for some dome temperature which I reached and put the liquidity mess in my egg. Like an hour later that dish looked like puke warmed over and I threw it all out! After 2 big Bloody Mary's and embarrassing laughter on my part they left. At that point I re-read the recipe and it called for using all that water in the casserole dish in the BGE in order to warm the dish so the eggs would not burn so you were to pitch the water!!!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    RRP said:
    Well - about 2 years into Eggdom I wanted to fix a kick-butt breakfast one Sunday after we had invited Pat's sister and her husband. The recipe which I had gotten from the forum called for 2 scrambled eggs per person, which made sense. Then it also called for 1.5 quarts of water in a big casserole dish. That part seemed strange, but the recipe had been raved about. So I found the large dish, poured in the water and then cracked and added 8 eggs. Then the recipe called for some dome temperature which I reached and put the liquidity mess in my egg. Like an hour later that dish looked like puke warmed over and I threw it all out! After 2 big Bloody Mary's and embarrassing laughter on my part they left. At that point I re-read the recipe and it called for using all that water in the casserole dish in the BGE in order to warm the dish so the eggs would not burn so you were to pitch the water!!!
    That is pretty funny Ron.
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Mickey said:
    Nuff said:

One of the all time greats.
  • piney
    piney Posts: 1,478
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    YukonRon said:

Lookin at you @piney
    Who is Kitty??
    Lenoir, N.C.
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    DMW said:
    OK, time to fess up, pre-BGE days:

Those ribs up there? They were boiled first if I remember correctly...
    At least you have pics from your pre-Egg days.  I don’t, because I totally sucked at it.
  • DMW
    Options
    And another...

Why would stopping up the top of the chicken with a potato be a good idea?

P.S. - It isn't a good idea. It impedes airflow and does not yield even cooking. Don't do this. Ever.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Oh no.
  • DMW
    Options
    OK, this was BGE, I thought this was a good pizza:

In hindsight, please don't do that ever again ever.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    I had pies that looked like that.  Nobody went hungry is all I’m saying.
  • bgebrent
    Options
    DMW said:
    Mickey said:
    Nuff said:

This is still probably my favorite pic I've ever seen on the forum.
    Best ever.  Love the crust.
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    piney said:

Lookin at you @piney
    Who is Kitty??
    I nominate @piney for the Miss “It’s Not A Mistake If You Keep Drinkin” 2018!!

South of Nashville, TN