Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

The Mistakes We’ve Made

1235»

Comments

• billt01
    billt01 Posts: 1,523
    RRP said:
    I know I have already posted one, and then today I thought of another. That involved an early cook of a pork butt using my wife's deceased grandmother's cake pan as a drip pan. BTW her grandmother taught home ec for 40 years down in the bootheel of MO. Hard to even guess how many cakes were baked in it.

I have never been able to get that pan any cleaner than this with scouring, harsh chemicals or a few hours of elbow grease! Perhaps a random orbital sander might do the trick, but now all these years later that pan has been "out of sight - out of mind" for my wife.

Well, the nice thing that came from the disaster was since that sorry day on I ALWAYS wrap any drip pan and my PS with foil!
    Soak for 48 hrs with one of these along the bottom, you may be surprised..

Have:
     XLBGE / Stumps Baby XL / Couple of Stokers (Gen 1 and Gen 3) / Blackstone 36 / Maxey 3x5 water pan hog cooker
    Had:
    LBGE / Lang 60D / Cookshack SM150 / Stumps Stretch / Stumps Baby

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    You may wish to try white cleaning vinegar. Let it set for a few hours, and the acids will penetrate the film that is remaining on the pans. I use it to clean stainless steel drip pans.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,428
    edited May 2018
    "It ain't so, Botch".   =)

Sorry about the cryptic note this morning, guys.  I woke up in a cold sweat at 0230 and never did get back to sleep.  I'll be crashing soon (its just after six here, now).
    End of April I briefed all senior lea  need to keep this brief.  I made a mistake in a briefing, have been trying to correct it ever since, and because I briefed a General officer that data, no one will let me change it (it makes no sense at all, but you current/former military guys will understand, esp. if you've worked in Maintenance).  
    I made the correction in a slide yesterday, but my boss's boss's boss changed it back, AGAIN, last night at 7:40.  
    (brief, eh?)  So, if the wrong F-35 project gets funded this year, we'll end up building a $40.7M facility in 2021 with no water/sewer service.  I need to adopt the "F*ckit, I retire in '20", but I'm not like that.  My boss said he doesn't care anymore, boss's boss said about the same, and I wasn't summoned anywhere today.  
    DO have an electronic trail proving I've been trying to fix this, with everyone, and have been continually dismissed.  What a fustercluck.  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352
    Botch said:
    res
    Not sure what that means, but I hope today went well for you. 
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,867
    Botch said:
    "It ain't so, Botch".   =)

Sorry about the cryptic note this morning, guys.  I woke up in a cold sweat at 0230 and never did get back to sleep.  I'll be crashing soon (its just after six here, now).
    End of April I briefed all senior lea  need to keep this brief.  I made a mistake in a briefing, have been trying to correct it ever since, and because I briefed a General officer that data, no one will let me change it (it makes no sense at all, but you current/former military guys will understand, esp. if you've worked in Maintenance).  
    I made the correction in a slide yesterday, but my boss's boss's boss changed it back, AGAIN, last night at 7:40.  
    (brief, eh?)  So, if the wrong F-35 project gets funded this year, we'll end up building a $40.7M facility in 2021 with no water/sewer service.  I need to adopt the "F*ckit, I retire in '20", but I'm not like that.  My boss said he doesn't care anymore, boss's boss said about the same, and I wasn't summoned anywhere today.  
    DO have an electronic trail proving I've been trying to fix this, with everyone, and have been continually dismissed.  What a fustercluck.  
    Sounds like a heckofa day man.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,428
    thetrim said:
    Botch said:
    res
    Not sure what that means, but I hope today went well for you. 
    I tried to "res"erve the spot right after Lou's post, but it didn't work (and looks like a mess now, agree).  Sorry 'bout that!  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Glad to hear it’s working out @Botch mistakes are made, we’re all human. Egg on brother. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    @Botch- spineless chain of command right there.  Can't believe no one will go forward and explain the issue.  I guess that's where we are today.  Sad, sad commentary at a minimum.   For your bosses, It's not your job to care or not...just grow a pair and do the right thing.  Off soap-box.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352
    Sorry to hear that @Botch.  I was Infantry in the Army but as a company XO had a few run ins with maintenance issues when dealing with our Assistant Division Commander for Support.  He was a One Star who grew up in the Infantry but used to beat the $...hit out of the lower level maintenance folks.  I have some stories that were pretty crazy at the time but i can at least laugh about them now over a few drinks. 
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • smokeybreeze
    smokeybreeze Posts: 216
    Been egging for quite a few years now and a recent pair of 6-8# bone-in pork shoulders (indirect) were stabilized at 225* when I went to bed ~10:00pm. Woke up ~6:00am and checked on them. Temp was over 350* and the bark was THICK. I could only salvage less than 2# of edibles. Still haven't figured that one out.

I've been able to lock in temps for years such that a stabilized 225* is still 225* 12-18 hours later with zero adjustments and I don't use an electronic temperature stabilizer.

This is certainly an exception, but sometimes sh*t happens and the gods don't look kindly at you for some reason; or is it lady karma for decades past transgressions?

There's two types of eggheads - those that have had a major mistake, and those that will (or are just lying). 

Grill on and enjoy. You pays your dues and you takes your chances - experience reduces your chances but it never reaches zero.
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Something happened to my cake 

This is so wrong on so many levels its unbelievable
  • bboulier
    bboulier Posts: 558
    Serving guests the first time you cook on the egg. I had not appreciated how long you had to wait before the smoke cleared.  Experience matters.
    Weber Kettle, Weber Genesis Silver B, Medium Egg, KJ Classic (Black)
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    @bboulier - but you recognized the right way to run the cook so the groceries had to be outstanding.  I got bit on the related issue-the dome to cooking grate off-set.  Missed the target finish feel by a good hour.  
    All's well that ends well.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.