Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

1st Annual Little Steven Memorial Cook Thread

Ok- Little Steven’s Birthday is next Monday, May 7th and it has been said on here that he loved Cinco De Mayo (which is next Saturday). Sounds like a great week to pay tribute to one of the GOATS. So, starting this week and wrapping up Next Sunday, we cook, we tell stories, we raise a glass, we have fun, we post to our Buddy Steve “Little Steven” Nelson. There will be prizes at OP’s discretion so post away. Steve was such a generous guy and was always the first to help someone in need, with advice or a check if that is what the situation called for. I would like some input on a cause we could donate to in Steve’s honor. I have the egg Steve and Cali desroyed at the last Salado Fest I attended and where I met Steve (and maybe Cali). They cooked Roghan Josh (lamb curry). Damnit if I didn’t just get that smell out of that egg but That’s going to be my cook next weekend. 

Raising a glass to The Little Raccoon as I hit send...
Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX

Comments

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    We’ll raise a glass and cook something in memory.  Never met him but enjoyed some interactions.  
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    1st ground rule has gotta be: "Recipe must contain La Bomba".
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    I'm in. 

I was thinking of egging his "luggage chicken satay". Even leaving it out in the Houston heat for a day or so to keep it real :) But I'll do something. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • 1st ground rule has gotta be: "Recipe must contain La Bomba".
    Im out! Have to find some. 
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    GGG also fights Sat night, so it is a good day for a horse meat stew in honor of the most famous Khazak since Borat!
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Gonna cook a little something Little Stevens honor on Saturday. It will be a Cinco De Mayo meal of some sort at our baseball tailgate. I believe we will be doing Pork taco's....but not certain as tailgate buddy and I have not collaborated on the final details. Most def will have a few of Margaritas.....and some dancing girls.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • SamIAm2
    SamIAm2 Posts: 1,895
    Will be doing pig shots for a Derby Party with former co-workers. His B'day was one day after mine. Don't have pictures but we were at the 09 Florida Eggfest in Ocala when he was there along, with some others. Found that out after talking with @FlaPoolman Saturday at the Sunshine State Eggfest. Will pour a beer in his honor
    Ubi panis, ibi patria.
    Large - Roswell rig, MiniMax-PS Woo; Cocoa, Fl.
  • caliking said:
    I'm in. 

I was thinking of egging his "luggage chicken satay". Even leaving it out in the Houston heat for a day or so to keep it real :) But I'll do something. 

You have any pointers on the goat? Recipe
    perhaps? 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,320
    Bump for planning purposes.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    I didn't know him but the kind feelings towards him say a lot. We'll roll some smoke for him.
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • “get your drink on, get your smoke on, and go home with a little somethin to poke on”

- Kierkegaard 
  • bgebrent
    I’m thinking suitcase chicken satay makes good sense.  Teeing it up.
  • caliking
    caliking said:
    I'm in. 

perhaps? 
    Do you mean the Rogan Josh he cooked that year in Salado?

• nate1152
    nate1152 Posts: 20
    You guys sure are great to honor Little Steven this way. He seemed like a truly selfless guy and clearly generous. Deserving of many, many memorial cookoffs. I'm going to try his suitcase chicken some day, however, I'm not going to leave it outside 24 hours prior to cooking ...

Minneapolis, MN

"90% of life is showing up. The other 50% is style." - Me, after a long night of drinking.
  • caliking said:
    caliking said:
    I'm in. 

perhaps? 
    Yep. Thought you were involved in that as well

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,507
    Thanks @The Cen-Tex Smoker for starting this thread.  I recall Steven was looking into the Cuisinart wood oven, not sure if he pulled the trigger http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1200570/i-asked-about-a-coleman-oven-turns-out-its-cuisinart-experience-anyone
    Anyway, since I'm working long hours rest of this week, I thought I'd do my tribute cooks early. Finally got my acts together to refurbish my parts-missing reverse flow Maximus toy WFO and test fired on Sunday, fired it up couple more times since. Did several experimental cooks, it sure is a fun toy.  

Not sure if it's appropriate to thread-jack here with heavy pics or start another thread?  here's one ... I know cali, should have docked them  :)

canuckland
  • Thanks @The Cen-Tex Smoker for starting this thread.  I recall Steven was looking into the Cuisinart wood oven, not sure if he pulled the trigger http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1200570/i-asked-about-a-coleman-oven-turns-out-its-cuisinart-experience-anyone
    Anyway, since I'm working long hours rest of this week, I thought I'd do my tribute cooks early. Finally got my acts together to refurbish my parts-missing reverse flow Maximus toy WFO and test fired on Sunday, fired it up couple more times since. Did several experimental cooks, it sure is a fun toy.  

Not sure if it's appropriate to thread-jack here with heavy pics or start another thread?  here's one ... I know cali, should have docked them  :)

Awesome! Post it here! We are off and running. First shots fired! 
  • caliking
    caliking said:
    caliking said:
    I'm in. 

perhaps? 

Teaming up with LS, you ended up cooking for him more than with him :smiley: People know that!

here’s a recipe from a Sanjeev Kapoor cookbook (before he went off the deep end professionally). I would add maybe 1/4 tsp of asafoetida though, not what recipe says. I don’t recall making any other changes, but it’s been a while. 

• caliking said:
    caliking said:
    caliking said:
    I'm in. 

perhaps? 

Teaming up with LS, you ended up cooking for him more than with him :smiley: People know that!

here’s a recipe from a Sanjeev Kapoor cookbook (before he went off the deep end professionally). I would add maybe 1/4 tsp of asafoetida though, not what recipe says. I don’t recall making any other changes, but it’s been a while. 

Thank you!!! 
  • caliking
    @Canugghead those look pretty damn good from here!! What’s in your dough?

@SciAggie will likely be interested in your MO as well. 

• I have been stuck at Ohare for 9 hrs. Seriously cramping my asafoetida shopping schedule. 
  • lousubcap
    edited May 2018
    Here's a link to a song that LS definitely appreciated since he was a great ambassador for the GWN;
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAp7FvZ5Opw  BTW- NSW for family or children.
    Perhaps this will ease your pain @The Cen-Tex Smoker.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Stuck at the soccer field all weekend, but I'll find time to raise a glass and maybe throw something on (not nowhere near the results we'll see here).  RIP, Steven.
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    caliking said:
    @Canugghead those look pretty damn good from here!! What’s in your dough?

@SciAggie will likely be interested in your MO as well. 
    Yes. I’m interested. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • bgebrent
    Suitcase Satay is in cue.  With some Canadian brew.
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,507
    @caliking @SciAggie swmbo made the dough, it's a quick 4-hr dough that includes ghee, yogurt and ADY, no authentic sour dough starter nor overnight cold ferment. I've seen you guys' naan game, trust me our recipe/method is not worth sharing  :)  
    canuckland
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    I'll definitely raise a glass and listen to some Tragically Hip this weekend in his honor.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• lousubcap
    Great looking rig and results.  You and @SciAggie need to share experiences.
    No ash tray issue with the fully involved fire that you are burning.  Same deal with a stick burner.