Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Very sad day, indeed RIP Little Steven (from Stike)

Options

Comments

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Can someone on the forum that is close to Little Steven's family find out what their needs are?  Maybe a "Go Fund Me" page would be the most beneficial right away.  The video or book idea is great too.  I've seen some really nice hardcover books done from photos, but can't remember what the company is.
    His son Kyle is emailing me and he has an account waiting to be approved so he can respond here. They all know we want to show some love and they are putting all the arrangements together now. i'll post here if Kyle does not get approval to post before I hear anything. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options
    I can't remember if he was a Molson,or Labatt or a Moosehead guy.

Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    I think he was partial to Sleeman beer.  He gave me a six of that one time.
    Flint, Michigan
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options
    I think he was partial to Sleeman beer.  He gave me a six of that one time.
    Thanks Fred. I'll ask Kathy to bring some when she comes down from Guelph, Ontario this Fall for the Bash.
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,834
    Options
    I’m pretty sure that one of their needs is a 21 drink salute at Butt Blast.  With pic or video posted here. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    I’m pretty sure that one of their needs is a 21 drink salute at Butt Blast.  With pic or video posted here. 
    I have a wife with a camera. Now if one of our other blasters could herd the cats, blue devils, Tar Heels, Gamecocks and .....well we will give it a shot Fog! This can be done.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Grand Oeuf Vert
    Grand Oeuf Vert Posts: 1,631
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Photo from the First Niagara Eggfest...2009. Meet and Greet.
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options

The top 4 pics were from our Toronto Eggfest trip in 2013.  The top photo is Steve cooking his traditional Satay.  The second photo is from when Steve and his lovely bride Norma and their family hosted us for supper.  That's Steve's son Roger teaching my daughter billiards at their home.  We had a great time!  The last one is from a drinking binge with Little Steven & Henapple outside Detroit in 2014.

Confession time: I regret not connecting with Steve more, but he was sorta hit & miss on here and everyone gets busy....  Also I'm having a rotten time finding pics in my files, so these were from old forum threads.  I didn't take the photo of Steve cooking his beer raised direct, but I liked it so here it is.
    Flint, Michigan
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Great photo buddy.
    Cool to say I have met 4 of the Eggheads in this photo.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    I have a wife with a camera. Now if one of our other blasters could herd the cats, blue devils, Tar Heels, Gamecocks and .....well we will give it a shot Fog! This can be done.
    Do,  or do not. There is no try.

This will happen. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    caliking said:
    Foghorn said:
    Do,  or do not. There is no try.

This will happen. 
    Guaranteed.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    Very sad. There aren’t that many Canadians on this forum and Little Steven truly seemed like one of the greats. Did not know him personally. Condolences to all who did, as well as to his family. 
  • Logger
    Logger Posts: 309
    edited April 2018
    Options
    I really thought some peeps on this forum had issues with LS but, after reading all of the wonderful posts about him, I wish I could have met him.  I now know they were fun-filled pokes, probably with some sort of an event involved that is disguised unless you were actually there.  
    Kinda wanna grow up and be like him after hearing of his travels.
    RIP Little Steven...thank you for some of the advice you gave me.  God's speed.
    OKC area  XL - Medium Eggs
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    That big house on the cul-de-sac in Caledon will seem so empty, heart goes out to the family. A great guy, the GWN will miss him.
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    It was through a couple of my egg friends I found out the sad news.  Tell me it ain't so.  

I grew up on the old greenegger forum to which Steven was a megacontributor.  We always looked forward to his posts and the replies his posts generated. Could he ever stir the pot with his erudite wit and mischievous humor. I would laugh so hard I would cry at some of those old posts.  His posts taught all of us so much about cooking / egging. 

I was so lucky to have met Little Steven at many eggfests.  He was always the life of the party.   It seemed everyone tried to enlist Steven to be on their competition team.  Who wouldn't want an ace in their pocket? He could cook anything.  Fortune shined on me when LS drew my name for the secret elf exchange.  I received a huge box of Canadian goodies which took about two years to use up.  

The only thing I hated about Steven was his making everything look so easy!  I suppose if you're that talented, everything is easy.  His talent was commensurate with his personal generosity which is legend.

I will miss the maestro and those good ole days.  
    Hello again, Doctor - too bad that we "cyber-meet" again in a sad state. 

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Options
    Just got this email from Steven's son Kyle. He asked me to post it for him. I told him we would like to do something for the family. They have clearly had a tough, tough year.  

Hi John,

I’m Little Steven’s son, I tried to register an account to post a thank you to you and everyone who posted in the memorial thread for Steve Nelson but it looks like there’s some sort of posting time restriction for new members.  Feel free to post this if you think that others would like to hear it

The last year of Steve’s life was very difficult.  He buried his sister last summer who had downs syndrome and had been living with Steve & his wife for about a decade.  Then he had to bury his son, my brother just a couple of months ago.  Then he went into the hospital with back pain only to find out he had a terminal illness just 13 days before he passed away.  It was helpful for the family to read about some of the better times he had after such a tough year.  My step brother found the thread this morning and shared it around for the family to see

Steve always spoke very fondly of the forum and Green Egg community, and he was always excited for the events that he would attend for months in advance.  We appreciate the reaction from you guys, and I’m sure that he would have been very glad to know that some of the stories would be captured on the forum forever

Thank you,

Kyle Nelson

I remember his sister and I think her name was Norma, met her at the Sunshine State Eggfest and she was a wonderful person that Steven and his Wife took very good care of. She had a great time at the fest. So many have said this but Steven was a wonderful loving and sharing person who would always stir the pot but be so kind to so many. I'm certain he had no regrets and lived life to the fullest. I feel privileged to have had the honor of meeting him. :(

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Hotch said:
    I can't remember if he was a Molson,or Labatt or a Moosehead guy.

I asked him at the Sunshine State Fest if I could him anything right after he finished competing in a cook off and his reply was I Just Need a Beer, asked what kind and his reply was a Beer! :)

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Dang, this is saddening. RIP LS! 
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • bgebrent
    Options
    There will be a 21 beer salute (at least) at Butt Blast.  
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    RIP Llittle Steven....one of the really good guys...he will be missed
  • Dave in Florida
    Options
    WOW...So sad.  What a gut punch.  Never got to meet the guy but he was always so helpful to me.  Surely going to me him on the forum.  
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Fellows, I’m getting ready to go overseas. With that said, if any kind of fund is set up for Little Steven or his family, would someone (doesn’t matter who) with an iPhone send me a message. I can only get messages from an iPhone and your iMessages has to be enabled. 
    I would like to donate/contribute in any way that I can. Text the details to:
    228-627-5400 or email me at:
    scottieghorton@gmail.com
    Thanks in advance.  

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• bgebrent
    Options
    SGH said:
    Fellows, I’m getting ready to go overseas. With that said, if any kind of fund is set up for Little Steven or his family, would someone (doesn’t matter who) with an iPhone send me a message. I can only get messages from an iPhone and your iMessages has to be enabled. 
    scottieghorton@gmail.com
    Thanks in advance.  
    Very good of you brother. We all know how benevolent you are and this cause is at the top.  So, not making B.B.?
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    SGH said:
    scottieghorton@gmail.com
    Thanks in advance.  
    Very good of you brother. We all know how benevolent you are and this cause is at the top.  So, not making B.B.?
    Not going to happen brother Brent. I fly to Tampico Monday. From Tampico out to the Solitare by chopper on Tuesday. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    SGH said:
    bgebrent said:
    SGH said:
    scottieghorton@gmail.com
    Thanks in advance.  
    Not going to happen brother Brent. I fly to Tampico Monday. From Tampico out to the Solitare by chopper on Tuesday. 
    you need someone to keep putting miles on your truck?
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI