Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket

this is my first brisket on a bge in over a year. I have to say, very happy with how it turned out. 

My neighbor was happy

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX

Comments

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    It looks so...moist... very nice, as if I would ever expect anything less from you.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Great result.  Meteorite looks delicious.  Bge can do a good brisket.  Proof.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • DMW said:
    It looks so...moist... very nice, as if I would ever expect anything less from you.
    It was gooey and jiggly.  
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    DMW said:
    It was gooey and jiggly.  
    What was?
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,745
    That looks terrific, but the pressure is really on next week (-:
    Stillwater, MN
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    That looks like a lot to be happy about. Nice job
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,141
    When @The Cen-Tex Smoker posts “brisket,” I pay attention!!

looks FANTASTIC!
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    edited March 2018
    Whaaaaaaatttt???? 

You can cook a brisket????

I hope those uninitiated folks realize the greatness they will behold.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,936
    Well, it’s not prime rib, but I guess that’ll do.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,750
    Winner!!!!
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • GoooDawgs
    GoooDawgs Posts: 1,060
    Wow!  Bark looks amazing - what temp were you smoking this at?
    Milton, GA 
    XL BGE & FB300
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,830
    How did it feel to just relax and not have to feed it sticks every 30 minutes?

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,318
    @The Cen-Tex Smoker Great outcome as expected.  Killer bark.  At what point did you wrap as it looks like you ran nekked til time for the FTC.  
    I'm guessing you have been using the dishwasher for brisket cooks??  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Woodchunk
    Woodchunk Posts: 911
    Your brisket skills are not rusty at all
  • dharley
    dharley Posts: 377
    That looks outstanding! Nice bark.
    LBGE, PSWOO, 36" Blackstone, MasterBuilt smoke box- Playing with fire in Three Rivers, MI

My '23 & Me' said I'm 2/3 bacon and 1/3 Red Blooded American

USMC Veteran

Always do sober what you said you would drunk, that'll teach you to keep your mouth shut.  -EH
  • Foghorn said:
    How did it feel to just relax and not have to feed it sticks every 30 minutes?
    Pretty damn good and it turned out really good. I did make my own chunks out of the post oak logs I have for the dishwasher.  I think I’ll keep doing that. Flavor seemed better than I remember. May have been that way all along and I was drinking the kbq KoolAid 
  • GoooDawgs said:
    Wow!  Bark looks amazing - what temp were you smoking this at?
    Well, as usual with me it was a $hit show. Since I hadn’t done an overnighter  on a bge in over a year, I thought I would clean it all out, get the temps all stable around 8 and put it on at midnight or so. Wife had other plans so I actually had to grill charcoal pork for late dinner at like 9. In all the years I have been doing this, for whatever reason, if I grill something for dinner then shut it down or cool it down for a low and slow, I can never get the temps to stabilize. So 11 Tito’s after dinner I threw this on at midnight at 250. Woke up at 7 and it was at 150. The brisket still looked like I had just thrown it on. Got the temps back up to 270-ish and let it roll al day. Had dinner plans so after I wrapped it (bark looked right) I let it creep up to 300 for the last hour until it was done. So to answer your question, the temp was between 150-300 but most of it was in the 270 range :) 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,958
    edited March 2018
    lousubcap said:
    @The Cen-Tex Smoker Great outcome as expected.  Killer bark.  At what point did you wrap as it looks like you ran nekked til time for the FTC.  
    I'm guessing you have been using the dishwasher for brisket cooks??  
    I wrapped when it was like 170 internal and the bark looked right. Was just trying to push it I’ve the finish line as we had dinner plans. This was supposed to be for lunch but as you can see below, I didnt get the temps stable enough for the overnight. Took one bite then ptc and ran out the door. Vac sealed when I got home and will sous Vide to warm up later today. It is lakewade’s 50th today so
    im not sure I’ll be able to run maiden equipment when dinner rolls around. Might be a take out kind of night. 

I have ave been doing dishwasher only for low and slow since i got it. I did one rib cook on my bge and didn’t like the flavor. This was pretty good. 
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    OH. MY.  GAWD. 
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,318
    Thanks for the follow-up.  I suspect your thoughts regarding how this day will unfold are correct given past practices with Lakewade.  No pool party shenanigans  this go 'round??  =)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • lousubcap said:
    Thanks for the follow-up.  I suspect your thoughts regarding how this day will unfold are correct given past practices with Lakewade.  No pool party shenanigans  this go 'round??  =)
     Not pool or watermelon season just yet :) I’m sure we will find our way. 
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    That looks fantastic. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    I expected more from a Brisket God  ;)
    On a serious note, great looking grub for sure. I second what you said above about the BGE making an excellent brisket when one takes the proper steps and required time to set it up correctly. I’m more consistent with an offset when it comes to Brisket, but my absolute personal best came off my large BGE. On that note, it was a SRF Gold. I have no doubt that played a major part. But the fact remains, it came off the BGE. 
    Again, great looking grub. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out.