Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ceramic Grill Store

tjv
tjv Posts: 3,830

Lots of comments floating around. I thought I should address some. First and foremost, thanks to all for the kind support regarding Ceramic Grill Store. We truly appreciate the positive comments and protective nature most have shown regarding our product line that was highlighted at the HPBA Expo show yesterday.

I spent yesterday at the trade show and here is my ceramic take on it. The pellet grill market shows no sign of slowing down - more brands, a lot more brands from all sectors. Even Vision Grills debuted a pellet adapter for their ceramic grills. Not many will publicly admit it, but pellet grills have the ceramic companies head scratching and little worried. Simply, you can buy a $600 pellet grill that will do everything an XL Big Green EGG® can do and do it easier & more conveniently. These are two big pluses for 40 something and younger families. Just ask the female head of household or a millennial how they feel about time management, convenience and dealing with fire. The only real area a pellet grill falls short is a high temp searing cook - enter the gas guys. 

Looking back, 2016-17 was an aha moment for ceramics. Changes in growth, competition and market branding were varied among manufacturers. Fast forward to 2018 and the underlining mindset in ceramics is “gotta catch up with the Jones.”  Kamado Joe displayed their new porta pizza attachment and bigger grill. Saffire has a new segmented firebox. Pit Boss has a new blue color. Grill Dome has a new grill. Vision has the pellet adapter. Primo is starting an aggressive marketing program with the kamado round.  And, you know the EGG announcements.  

Another noteworthy point is not much talk about price increases. Primo did a small increase last month but no one else is talking increases. Show talk included incentives, except EGG. You can still get a big box unit for $599-$699. For traditional retailers, I’ll be curious to see what unfolds given the competitive nature vs. market share of some companies.  

One last thought about the show.  I made it early on the first day. One thing that became apparent fast, it was very easy to see who was actively looking for new business. Might be a tell on who is still around in a couple of years.

With regards to the events surrounding Ceramic Grill Store products, we’ll need some time to think and visit with our patent attorney. With Ceramic Grill Store, we’ve always tried to take the high road and use our abilities, time and investment to improve the ceramic experience which includes Big Green EGG. Initially, we never actively sought out this opportunity. Ironically, it was early events with Big Green EGG and customer demand that moved us on our CGS path. Last year, we knew EGG was quietly exploring our products. Like many of you have stated, we too never thought they would blatantly copy it. Now I guess just like the ceramic companies, we’ll do some head scratching and figure out what road to take from here: high, middle or……...

Thanks,

Tom, Terri and Ceramic Grill Store Staff

www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.

Comments

• Miked125
    Miked125 Posts: 481
    edited March 2018
    Good luck, I have the AR with spider, simply fantastic product and customer service.
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Je Suis CGS!

Give Em Hell, Tom. I'm with you. 
    +1.

Love my AR, and the service from your store is top notch.
    NOLA
  • Kamado Joe is ripping off Pizza Porta?
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,182
    Another in your camp.  Hopefully you have enough legal ammunition to hammer BGE- You beat 'em with the concepts, design and innovation.  Now regrettably,  the frigging lawyers get their shot.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • I've outfitted 2 larges and a small with your equipment and will always recommend CGS
    Alva, Florida
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    @tjv  You are a class act, one thing about BGE, they absolutely wouldn't hesitate at sueing someone who used one of their logo's and from what I've read here is they have actually given a cease and desist on a member here. 
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.

• Well...$hit just got interesting.

I think I’ll shut the office down, put some ribs on my CGS setup, pour a drink, and watch this unfold. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,566
    One good thing is you make stuff that will fit in any cooker I would buy.
    Initially when I bought my second egg I made it a second large so I could use the Adjustable Rig or Woo in which ever egg needed it. In the end I ended up buy two of everything from the CGS and saved myself nothing on accessories because I found there were times I needed the same setup in both eggs.

I could have made due using one or the other and have only one of each setup but I liked the simplicity and consistency of TJV's stuff and I stick to what I know works.
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    +1 on your side Tom.  Good luck.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Another supporter Tom. Got stuff from you for both my large and my mini. Wouldn't hesitate to buy from you again if I needed anything and always recommend your products to new ceramic owners.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Give'm both barrels, Tom!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Both my eggs have your products, I love them. I am with you. Good luck.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,876
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Good luck to you. 
  • tenpenny_05
    tenpenny_05 Posts: 286
    tjv said:

Simply, you can buy a $600 pellet grill that will do everything an XL Big Green EGG® can do and do it easier & more conveniently. 

I've said way less polarizing things here and I was ran out of town by a mob of angry pitch fork yielding old guys... You have brass CGS...

Seriously though, I own a few benjamins worth of your product and its great. It sucks to see things like this happen.
    Kansas City, Kansas
    Second hand Medium BGE, Second hand Black Kamado Joe Classic, Second hand Weber Kettle, Second hand Weber Smokey Mountain
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,311
    Strong CGS supporter here.
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• mEGG_My_Day
    mEGG_My_Day Posts: 1,653
    I'm another very happy customer of CGS products.  Both my LBGE and SBGE are outfitted with your products.  Wishing you all the best!!
    Memphis, TN 

LBGE, 2 SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet
  • milesvdustin
    milesvdustin Posts: 2,882
    Damn. I am about to purchase stuff for my second egg and they will be cgs products for sure. 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• Cashfan
    Cashfan Posts: 416
    caliking said:
    I wonder what their plan is for copying your above-and-beyond-level of service??

More than once, it’s been said on the forum “call Tom. He’ll set you up without trying to up-sell anything.” I’m hoping that your attention to the customer and your great products will put you up on top of all this.  
    That's what I did, called and spoke with Tom about his products, how I cook and what would work for me and my setup. He cleared up a lot of questions I had, and I then spent a few hundred the next few weeks on woks, stones, and some other stuff for my Mini Max. If I need anything else, I will go the CGS first.

Great products, service and great people to support!!

• mlc2013
    mlc2013 Posts: 988
     I’m new to the community and put a complete CGS set up on my xl and I’m currently in the market for CGS set up for my large and minimax Tom has been very helpful and I couldn’t see myself buying from anyone else best of luck hope it all works out 
    Long Island NY    
    1 XL BGE 12/17, 1 LG BGE 3/18, 1 MM BGE 3/18
  • Love my AR. Never leaves my egg. Strong CGS supporter. Will continue to shop and support all things CGS. 
    2 Large Eggs    Oklahoma City,OK
  • Spillin
    Spillin Posts: 75
    You have my vote.  Keep up the great work!!

Image result for stay strong meme
    LG BGE
    36" Blackstone
    Weber Genisis
    Cold IPA on tap!
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Tom, thanks for the write up. I’m a happy owner of several of your products. 

I wish you, your family and your business all the best. 
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • kingsmoke
    kingsmoke Posts: 151
    I have been doing my homework on which new accessory would be most useful to me. I will most definitely buy from the Ceramic Grill Store
    Grand Rapids , Mi
    LBGE -  28Blackstone - Saber grill