Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: Biscuits

13»

Comments

• Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    jeffwit said:
    caliking said:
    Eoin said:
    Why do you guys call scones biscuits?
    Why do you guys call cookies biscuits?
    And fries chips?
    and chips crisps?
    Crisps are crisps and chips are chips. It's quite simple.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Was expecting the sausage gravy by now you slacker. 
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,795
    caliking said:
    Foghorn said:
    20stone said:
    Makes me ashamed of my store bought biscuits this morning but I did fill them with our breakfast sausage so not a total washout. That breakfast sausage is good!
    You SHOULD be ashamed. As for breakfast sausage, Mo is on deck. 
    Assuming he chooses to cooperate this time. He has very little incentive to do so
    He's highly disincentivized.  And his uncooperative behavior has been positively reinforced.  
    Mo has already proven himself to be the brains of the operation. THAT'S a piggy you don't eat all at once. 
    Three legged Mo?

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    Foghorn said:
    caliking said:
    Foghorn said:
    20stone said:
    Makes me ashamed of my store bought biscuits this morning but I did fill them with our breakfast sausage so not a total washout. That breakfast sausage is good!
    You SHOULD be ashamed. As for breakfast sausage, Mo is on deck. 
    Assuming he chooses to cooperate this time. He has very little incentive to do so
    He's highly disincentivized.  And his uncooperative behavior has been positively reinforced.  
    Mo has already proven himself to be the brains of the operation. THAT'S a piggy you don't eat all at once. 
    Three legged Mo?
    He'll definitely be easier to catch then
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX
  • I have made these 7up Biscuits several times now and they are easy and awesome good.

The Best 7-up Biscuits

IMG_0180-1024x682

7 Up Biscuits

4 cups Bisquick
    1 cup sour cream
    1 cup 7-up
    1/2 cup melted butter

Melt butter and place in a baking pan cut sour cream into the Bisquick

Then add the 7-up mix in and dump on a well floured surface ~ I used parchment paper, makes clean up easy then I pat out just with my hand or roll out about 1 inch thick. I found that I could just put the dough into the baking dish and with a big spoon dipped into the butter spread dough around the pan. I then cut the top of the biscuits and baked as follows. You can go with the original method but mine turned out just fine and the two pans I made for an Ice Pirates Rally went like hot cakes. These are very good.

Flour your cutter each time before cutting your biscuits. Once you cut your biscuits add to your pan with the butter.

Bake at 425 until golden brown and enjoy.

These are very easy to make and turn out awesome good. You can add stuff like Jalapeño Peppers or other ingredients to the mix also.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,674
    never even heard of spicy savory version of French toast, gonna have to do that B)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    never even heard of spicy savory version of French toast, gonna have to do that B)
    Its pretty simple. Crack a couple of eggs, and beat with some added milk or water, cayenne, cumin, salt, as if making an omelet (I usually add the red Slap Ya Mama). Dip slices of bread in the egg mix, and fry in a skillet. Serve with spicy ketchup (like Maggi Hot n Sweet) or whatever you like (Sriracha, etc.).

This what we called French toast growing up. Didn't find out about the sweet version until college.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • caliking
    Mickey said:
    Was expecting the sausage gravy by now you slacker. 
    As soon as we can get one of our  pigs off its legs... and into a freezer.

• JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    I have this sudden craving for sausage gravy! Nice job on the biscuits @caliking

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Ok, so I made some lard! Last night, I egged a 4 lb pork loin that needed some trimming. Not much, less than a half pound of fat, but I decided to give a try. Now, I have about 2-3 Tbls of very white lard in my fridge. I don't know what to do with so little, but it sure looks pretty! Not enough for biscuits or pie crust. Maybe I'll just fry a couple of eggs. Looks like this...
    Image result for white lard
    Gotta find more fat!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• caliking
    3T of frozen lard is what the recipe called for, so you should have just enough of you want to give it a whirl. 

Or save for veg sides and other things. Can’t go wrong any which way :)

• SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Just to keep this thread going. 

Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • TheToast
    TheToast Posts: 376
    These look like Suffolk rusks. I grew up in be county of Suffolk but haven't had them in years 

https://barbedwords.wordpress.com/2013/05/10/lemon-curd-suffolk-rusks-delizioso/

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    My Beautiful Wife is a biscuit making machine.
    She loves baking and loves experimenting. Our next try is pulled pork cornbread pancakes.

We will see how that works out.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • caliking
    @SciAggie Nice! I assume you had some jam and butter at the ready? :)

@TheToast don't confuse our feeble minds by bringing rusks into the fray! Are those soft like what we call biscuits here, or more dense? The rusks I know are "tea rusks", which are crunchy.

• SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    @caliking Smucker’s Red Plum jam and soft butter for sure. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • GaryLange said:
    I have made these 7up Biscuits several times now and they are easy and awesome good.

The Best 7-up Biscuits

IMG_0180-1024x682

7 Up Biscuits

4 cups Bisquick
    1 cup sour cream
    1 cup 7-up
    1/2 cup melted butter

Melt butter and place in a baking pan cut sour cream into the Bisquick

Then add the 7-up mix in and dump on a well floured surface ~ I used parchment paper, makes clean up easy then I pat out just with my hand or roll out about 1 inch thick. I found that I could just put the dough into the baking dish and with a big spoon dipped into the butter spread dough around the pan. I then cut the top of the biscuits and baked as follows. You can go with the original method but mine turned out just fine and the two pans I made for an Ice Pirates Rally went like hot cakes. These are very good.

Flour your cutter each time before cutting your biscuits. Once you cut your biscuits add to your pan with the butter.

Bake at 425 until golden brown and enjoy.

These are very easy to make and turn out awesome good. You can add stuff like Jalapeño Peppers or other ingredients to the mix also.

These are really simple and damn good!

Little Rock, AR

• TheToast
    TheToast Posts: 376
    @caliking They're hard and crumbly - you have them with butter or jam. They're savoury and can have cheese in them - not sweet like a scone 
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    tried a new technique yesterday. Need to tweak temp and time.
  • caliking
    edited February 2018
    tried a new technique yesterday. Need to tweak temp and time.
    Me likey. I dig the crunchy  edges. Was thinking of cutting them square as well to avoid the biscuit cutter an then re-rolling the dough to cut more. 

• Judy Mayberry
    Judy Mayberry Posts: 2,015
    edited February 2018
    WHERE TO BUY LARD: My Latina friend said she gets it at a big Mexican grocery store. She asks the lady that makes tortillas there to sell her some. I swear, that's all I know about buying lard.

Like Carolina Q, I rendered pork fat and there's a jar of it way in the back of the refrigerator that I completely forgot about till this thread! Thanks for the nudge!
    Judy in San Diego
  • 20stone
    WHERE TO BUY LARD: My Latina friend said she gets it at a big Mexican grocery store. She asks the lady that makes tortillas there to sell her some. I swear, that's all I know about buying lard.
    "Manteca" is the word
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove

Austin, TX
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831

Like Carolina Q, I rendered pork fat and there's a jar of it way in the back of the refrigerator that I completely forgot about till this thread! Thanks for the nudge!
    I think Manteca contains hydrogenated lard (I know the Armour brand does). Requires no refrigeration and remains solid at room temp (like Crisco). That means transfats... no bueno.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• stv8r
    stv8r Posts: 1,127
    onedbguru said:

We may never buy  English Muffins again!!!

ENGLISH MUFFINS

1 cup scalded milk (hot, almost to the point of boiling)

2 T sugar
    1/2 tsp of salt
    1/2 stick of butter (4 T)
    Scald milk and mix in the rest and let cool.

Mix in separate bowl:

1 cup of warm water
    1 pkg yeast ( 2 1/4 tsp)
    Let yeast sit until it blooms.

5-1/2 cups flour

Once the milk mixture has cooled and the yeast has bloomed, mix everything in heavy duty mixer and knead with dough hook for 10 mins.

Place kneaded dough into greased bowl to rise until doubled.

Roll dough out to about ½” thick or so.  Cut with round cutter (approximately 3” in diameter, or smaller if you desire).  Brush with melted butter and sprinkle with corn meal on both sides; place on parchment** lined cookie sheet for second rising. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise again for 30-40 minutes.  They will not double but will puff up and expand somewhat.

Pan fry in cast iron or griddle pan, medium heat, approximately 5-8 minutes per side (golden brown).  If they are thicker, they will take longer.  The tops s/b golden but the middles opaque.  Test one for doneness in the middle; if they are done on the outside but not the inside, lower the heat and cook longer.

Remove from heat; cool and fork split.

**Note: it is easier to slide the raised EM dough (2nd proof) on to the griddle if you place the cut out pieces onto parchment squares (about 3.5x3.5-ish) 

OMG I have never heard of anyone making these at home!  Amazing!
  • caliking

I think Manteca contains hydrogenated lard (I know the Armour brand does). Requires no refrigeration and remains solid at room temp (like Crisco). That means transfats... no bueno.
    AFAIK, manteca means lard. But the grocery store versions on the shelf may be hydrogenated and are still labeled as lard. 

Mexican grocery store here sell a version of fresh lard that is somewhat browner and has a more savory flavor. May not be as good in pies and sweetnbaked goods, but great for other stuff. 

• 20stone
    caliking said:

AFAIK, manteca means lard. But the grocery store versions on the shelf may be hydrogenated and are still labeled as lard. 

Mexican grocery store here sell a version of fresh lard that is somewhat browner and has a more savory flavor. May not be as good in pies and sweetnbaked goods, but great for other stuff. 
    Leaf lard (from the inside) is the jam for pies and biscuits.  Save the storebought stuff for tamales.
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove

Austin, TX