Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What to Buy Next????

Options
A few weeks ago, I started reading Aaron Franklins book. I immediately started looking into picking up an offset stick burner. The price for a quality one slowed me down long enough to realize I am not a good fit for a stick burner. I really have no interest in feeding a fire all night (or all day), and am somebody who gets pretty cranky of if I don't get enough sleep. I don't mind checking on food and making adjustments once a night or throughout the day, just don't want to be tied to it. 

So I have been looking at a couple other types and wonder if there are any others I should look at. My current roster includes a Mini, MiniMax, Primo Round, Primo Large Oval and a Blackstone, and want something to put different profile on food.

The ones I have looked at a lot are the Original Pit barrel Cooker and WSM. I am leaning towards the PBC because of simplicity and volume.

Any other suggestions?? Anybody recommend one of these over the other?

Comments

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    You should get an ear full by others soon.
    But the WSM will be very close in taste to what you now get with your ceramics.
    The PBC will be closer to stick burner flavor. And yes, a stick burner will need tending almost hourly. It takes a passion that I no longer have. I'm ok with my results off the Egg.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,349
    Options
    I applaud your recognition of the constraints of a stick burner as you are correct about the near-continuous commitment.  I will say that cooking with different types of fuel on differently constructed rigs will give a different flavor profile.
     I don't have a WSM so I can only give you my thoughts on the PBC.  I've had the PBC for a little over 2 years now.  I find it does a great job with half-cocked chix more than anything else.  Ribs turn out fine but due to the burn pattern I move them around throughout the cook.  I have opened the bottom vent more than recommended for my altitude (around 800') but the cooks still take longer than their advertised time.  The volume for the $$ is impressive.  I do place a couple of small smoke wood chunks on the charcoal load most cooks.
    I purchased the PBC ash pan as that definitely makes the clean-up easier.  If you have decent mechanical ability you can probably craft something suitable at home.  
    For the $$ I think it's definitely worth it.  FWIW-
    @Jeremiah also has a PBC.  Hopefully he will be along with his thoughts.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,174
    Options
    A gravity feed smoker. Check out Deep South Smokers 
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    PBC seems like a pretty cool set up.  I love that it's a vet owned company. 
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • JohnnyTarheel
    Options
    My son got a PBC last year after seeing @Jeremiah at Butt Blast. He loves it. It is easy to use and does not require constant monitoring. It is just for smoking and he does ribs, butts and chicken on it. Ribs may have to be rotated once during the cook and when you do butts you will take them off hangers after 160 degrees and put on grate.  Pretty much one load of coals does complete cooks. Tastes great!! One thing I do like is the smell and smoke it puts off during the day. If you didn’t know you would think it was a stick burner cooking.  The neighbors know when he uses the PBC..... 
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • epcotisbest
    epcotisbest Posts: 2,172
    Options
    Seems like you have plenty of cookers. What to buy next? Maybe a convertible...if you are married, let your wife pick it out. Make, model, color...all her choice. Beats roses.
  • Cashfan
    Cashfan Posts: 416
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    I applaud your recognition of the constraints of a stick burner as you are correct about the near-continuous commitment.  I will say that cooking with different types of fuel on differently constructed rigs will give a different flavor profile.
     I don't have a WSM so I can only give you my thoughts on the PBC.  I've had the PBC for a little over 2 years now.  I find it does a great job with half-cocked chix more than anything else.  Ribs turn out fine but due to the burn pattern I move them around throughout the cook.  I have opened the bottom vent more than recommended for my altitude (around 800') but the cooks still take longer than their advertised time.  The volume for the $$ is impressive.  I do place a couple of small smoke wood chunks on the charcoal load most cooks.
    I purchased the PBC ash pan as that definitely makes the clean-up easier.  If you have decent mechanical ability you can probably craft something suitable at home.  
    For the $$ I think it's definitely worth it.  FWIW-
    @Jeremiah also has a PBC.  Hopefully he will be along with his thoughts.  
    Thanks for the information. Do you prefer your ribs off the PBC or the Egg? 

I dont have descent mechanical ability, or the tools to make something like this. I am trying to talk a buddy into making something, but not having much luck.
  • Cashfan
    Options
    A gravity feed smoker. Check out Deep South Smokers 
    Thanks for mentioning, I'll be looking into them.
  • Cashfan
    Options
  • Cashfan
    Options

My son got a PBC last year after seeing @Jeremiah at Butt Blast. He loves it. It is easy to use and does not require constant monitoring. It is just for smoking and he does ribs, butts and chicken on it. Ribs may have to be rotated once during the cook and when you do butts you will take them off hangers after 160 degrees and put on grate.  Pretty much one load of coals does complete cooks. Tastes great!! One thing I do like is the smell and smoke it puts off during the day. If you didn’t know you would think it was a stick burner cooking.  The neighbors know when he uses the PBC..... 
    Thanks for the review!
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Check out the karubecue. A few here have one. The flavor profile is most excellent . @The Cen-Tex Smoker @20stone may chime in.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Cashfan
    Options

Seems like you have plenty of cookers. What to buy next? Maybe a convertible...if you are married, let your wife pick it out. Make, model, color...all her choice. Beats roses.
    lol!

No wife, just the dog and I. Neither of us mind driving old vehicles with a lot miles!!

In my defense, the Mini and blackstone where both on sale. The Mini was a $100 score off Craigslist, and the Blackstone was at walmart for $100 last year. No reasonable person would have said no to those deals...... I had planned on selling the round Primo after I picked up the Large oval, but found I use them both too much to get rid of either, unless I got an XL.......

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,349
    Options
    @Cashfan - regarding ribs and the outcome; between the PBC and BGE the margin is close but I would lean to the PBC.  Just to mess things up a bit more-I find the stick burner is the preferred rib cooker.  Like I said, different rigs and fuel source yields different flavor profiles.   
    If all I had were ribs off the BGE then I would be fine with those.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • DoubleEgger
    Options
    Cashfan said:

lol!

No wife, just the dog and I. Neither of us mind driving old vehicles with a lot miles!!

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    caliking said:
    Check out the karubecue. A few here have one. The flavor profile is most excellent . @The Cen-Tex Smoker @20stone may chime in.
    I was going to suggest this as well, though it’s similar to a stick burner in the sense that there’s a fire that needs feeding.  Based on his OP, my impression is that he’s looking for something closer to a “set it and forget it” arrangement.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    caliking said:
    I was going to suggest this as well, though it’s similar to a stick burner in the sense that there’s a fire that needs feeding.  Based on his OP, my impression is that he’s looking for something closer to a “set it and forget it” arrangement.  
    Isn't the karubecue as close as you can come to a set it and forget it when it comes to stick burner type smoker?
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
    La Caja China?
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • baychilla
    Options
    I have a WSM and its OK for things up to spares.  For longer cooks (eg: butt/brisket) I find it a PITA.  The fuel doesn't last as long as an egg and the water pan is a thirsty critter.  Also adding fuel/water through that side door isn't the most fun.  Of course I could've been doing it wrong (or the whole outside foggy temps leeched the heat out increasing fuel burn).
    Near San Francisco in California
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    caliking said:
    Isn't the karubecue as close as you can come to a set it and forget it when it comes to stick burner type smoker?
    Probably, but you still have to pay attention to how the fuel is being used up and refill it periodically.  Just how often I’m not sure, but I don’t think it takes hours between refills.   I watched Cen-Tex do this when I was at his house, but it’s possible my BAC inhibited my ability to pay attention to how frequently he had to add wood.
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,026
    Options
    caliking said:
    Probably, but you still have to pay attention to how the fuel is being used up and refill it periodically.  Just how often I’m not sure, but I don’t think it takes hours between refills.   I watched Cen-Tex do this when I was at his house, but it’s possible my BAC inhibited my ability to pay attention to how frequently he had to add wood.
    I believe it's every 45 minutes or so 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • DoubleEgger
    Options
    WeberWho said:
    caliking said:
    The inventor says 30 mins so it’s definitely not a set it and forget it. Amazing Ribs review also says chunks are too small and splits are too big so you’ll have to source the wood accordingly. 
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    WeberWho said:
    caliking said:
    The inventor says 30 mins so it’s definitely not a set it and forget it. Amazing Ribs review also says chunks are too small and splits are too big so you’ll have to source the wood accordingly. 
    And there you have it.  Thanks for setting me straight.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    Here's my .2 cents worth - first and foremost I AM A BGE GUY. That being said, the PBC make the best damn ribs I have ever had - the chicken an't too shabby either.

Don't get me wrong, my Egg rocks, but the PBC, is magical  .. 

I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Options
    Take a look at Ironsides Smokers as their cabinet smoker can burn charcoal or all wood on the occasions you feel like feeding sticks.  I don’t have first hand experience with them but the possibility of doing a rib cook with all wood and sleeping on long cooks sounds appealing.  
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • DoubleEgger
    Options
    WeberWho said:
    caliking said:
    Not setting you straight brother @saluki2007. I didn’t know much about them other than a few posts here so I read up on them. Interesting unique design.
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    WeberWho said:
    caliking said:
    Not setting you straight brother @saluki2007. I didn’t know much about them other than a few posts here so I read up on them. Interesting unique design.
    I can attest to the fact that it is super cool in person as well.  It’s basically the result of a talented engineer applying barbecue insight to develop a smoker.  I see one in my not too distant future... =)
  • DoubleEgger
    Options
    WeberWho said:
    caliking said:
    I can attest to the fact that it is super cool in person as well.  It’s basically the result of a talented engineer applying barbecue insight to develop a smoker.  I see one in my not too distant future... =)
    I get distracted too easily to tend to something every half hour. Squirrel!!
  • billt01
    billt01 Posts: 1,528
    Options
    if you truly want a "set it and forget it cooker", get a Stumps..Walter "Stump" McDowell invented the gravity feed cooker. I've owned 3 of 'em.

They will hold temperature in a sideways snow storm. I have also owned electric and stick burners. Stick burners are "fun" for about a year or so. When the novelty wears off on getting up every 45 minutes to put split logs in the cooker, one usually decides to transition.
    Have:
     XLBGE / Stumps Baby XL / Couple of Stokers (Gen 1 and Gen 3) / Blackstone 36 / Maxey 3x5 water pan hog cooker
    Had:
    LBGE / Lang 60D / Cookshack SM150 / Stumps Stretch / Stumps Baby

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• billt01
    billt01 Posts: 1,528
    Options
    To add a bit of History concerning the Stumps. He decided for a short time to license his design to Viking. He sold the design rights of  the "baby" to them while maintaining the ability to manufacture the same and sell cooker . They have since discontinued the product due to their markup could not compete with his exact product for several thousand dollars cheaper.

Or at least that was the story which was told to me....

Here is the Viking "Baby"..I do like the stainless finish...

http://www.vikingrange.com/consumer/product/products/retired-models/retired-outdoor-products/36--freestanding-gravity-feed-trade--charcoal-smoker---vcfs

Have:
     XLBGE / Stumps Baby XL / Couple of Stokers (Gen 1 and Gen 3) / Blackstone 36 / Maxey 3x5 water pan hog cooker
    Had:
    LBGE / Lang 60D / Cookshack SM150 / Stumps Stretch / Stumps Baby

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga