Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What to Buy Next????

Options
13»

Comments

• Cashfan
    Cashfan Posts: 416
    Options
    How about some new All Clad cook ware? :wink:
    I picked up a 5 piece set last week.... =)
  • epcotisbest
    epcotisbest Posts: 2,174
    Options
    OK, since you ruled out my excellent suggestion for a convertible, I am gonna offer another option. 
    I got interested in pellet grills after watching the Traeger infomercial a couple of times. Seemed like an interesting concept and I liked the set it and forget it ease of use. After seeing several in person I was unimpressed with the quality so I did more research. The two that wound up intriguing me the most were the Rec Tec and the Yoder. For the price, I decided I like the Rec Tec, then my wife took me by the hand and showed me outside, where there were six other devices - a kamado, two gassers, an Akorn Jr. a kettle and a Blackstone and she suggested that was plenty of outdoor cooking devices for two people.
    Since you mentioned it is just you and the dog, I don't see you running into the same problem. No Rec Tec or Yoder for me, but perhaps you could look into them. I see that Rec Tec has a competition cart you can add to their bigger pellet grill, that is very similar to the Yoder cart. It actually looks like they might have copied it, but the price point is still much better.
    Wish I could give a first hand account of how I liked my pellet grill, but no.

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Above you had corvette.  Real car, Ferrari
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    Snob
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Cashfan said:
    Focker said:
    This thread is all over the Focking place.....
    BS, KBQ, RB, LOL!  

I don't have a drum, but flavor profile from it vs WSM would be the same IMO, because by design, they are the same.

I hang stuff in my WSM with a rod and hook kit, just like a drum.  And personally, things are better being on a grid, horizontal.

I can run overnighters on a heaping full ring of briqs, adding fuel in the morning.

It runs in cold, sub-zero ambients, wind being the only issue.  Blocking it, helps.

Between the two, in all criteria, and bang for your buck, the WSM wins hands down.  In the comp arena, it has smoked more offsets than any other, and is the most decorated, mass manufactured, pit on the market.

My experience differs from Darian's.
    IMO, the hotter fire does provide a better smoke profile vs my egg.  For example, butts get a more meteorized look, better smoke ring.  Ribs are another fine example as well.  Even run a Cajun Bandit rotisserie on the 22 WSM, one of the best accessories I have purchased.

Butts on the 22 WSM.

Chicken on the 22 WSM.

Ribs off the 14 WSM.

Buddy's ribs on his 18 WSM.

Deboned smoked trout via snake method on the 14 WSM at 175.

Over The Top Chili on the 18 WSM.

HTH

Thanks for the feedback and pics!!

Looks like the WSM is the way to go for now, and maybe something else later. More versatile with mods and accessories, and similar taste profile.

I will be looking at all the suggestions in this thread and would welcome others!
    If you like to tinker, modding your bullet is the best part.  I have modded 6 WSMs.  I would consider these mandatory...

1.  Unknown BBQ hinge.  You can get a nice 3 piece step drill bit kit at Harbor Freight for cheap.
    2.  Garage door handles can be bent in a vice to fit the preexisting holes in the middle section to make removing it much easier.
    3.  Notch mod in middle section lip, seen in pic above, allowing probes to go through without pinching.  Makes it easy to remove when accessing meat.
    4.  SS hose clamps from the plumbing dept to combine the ash grid, ring, like a KAB.
    5.  Copper handles for the bottom grid for easy lifting.
    6.  Door prop mod, inverting the door with screws to run hotter in the 300s, 400s raised direct, basically making it an awesome grill.  It's not just a smoker.
    7.  Run waterless with foil covering the pan.  Water sucks the energy from your BTUs, main reason the guy upthread has difficulty running overnighters.  Like the egg, catch your temps on the way up.  Most times I have to touch the vents maybe once, sometimes not at all.

Also tweak the door to fit, the achilles heel of the WSM.  All of mine had to be shaped to fit tight, and not leak.  

18 vs 22 is an epic debate.
    If you do a lot of brisket, ribs, butts, I would go with the 22.  You can lay things out with plenty if room, 3 racks of ribs on each grid easy.  Things can be done on the 18, but you have to shoehorn a brisket in there.  The 18 is a fuel miser compared to the charcoal hog of the 22.
    It's nice to have options.  =)

HTH as well my friend.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• bgebrent
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    Snob
    Real car guy.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    A McLaren will run circles around an old man Ferrari. 
  • baychilla
    Options
    Isn't the WSM supposed to run with water?  Does it not need it?  Now I'm curious to see what running it dry is like.
    Near San Francisco in California
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited February 2018
    Options
    baychilla said:
    Isn't the WSM supposed to run with water?  Does it not need it?  Now I'm curious to see what running it dry is like.
    It's completely unnecessary.
    Try it.  Much easier, and you will get longer burn times.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• bgebrent
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    Have your car.  Doesn't even come close to the beauty and handmade craftsmanship..
  • unoriginalusername
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    Mostly because it doesn’t have a mechanical limited slip differential and only one tire is spinning 
  • billt01
    billt01 Posts: 1,529
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    bgebrent said:
    Have your car.  Doesn't even come close to the beauty and handmade craftsmanship..
    This one just sold for ~8MM

Yes please ↓↓

Have:
     XLBGE / Stumps Baby XL / Couple of Stokers (Gen 1 and Gen 3) / Blackstone 36 / Maxey 3x5 water pan hog cooker
    Had:
    LBGE / Lang 60D / Cookshack SM150 / Stumps Stretch / Stumps Baby

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• Cashfan
    Cashfan Posts: 416
    Options
    Focker said:
    Cashfan said:
    Focker said:
    This thread is all over the Focking place.....
    BS, KBQ, RB, LOL!  

I don't have a drum, but flavor profile from it vs WSM would be the same IMO, because by design, they are the same.

I hang stuff in my WSM with a rod and hook kit, just like a drum.  And personally, things are better being on a grid, horizontal.

I can run overnighters on a heaping full ring of briqs, adding fuel in the morning.

It runs in cold, sub-zero ambients, wind being the only issue.  Blocking it, helps.

Between the two, in all criteria, and bang for your buck, the WSM wins hands down.  In the comp arena, it has smoked more offsets than any other, and is the most decorated, mass manufactured, pit on the market.

My experience differs from Darian's.
    IMO, the hotter fire does provide a better smoke profile vs my egg.  For example, butts get a more meteorized look, better smoke ring.  Ribs are another fine example as well.  Even run a Cajun Bandit rotisserie on the 22 WSM, one of the best accessories I have purchased.

Butts on the 22 WSM.

Chicken on the 22 WSM.

Ribs off the 14 WSM.

Buddy's ribs on his 18 WSM.

Deboned smoked trout via snake method on the 14 WSM at 175.

Over The Top Chili on the 18 WSM.

HTH

Thanks for the feedback and pics!!

Looks like the WSM is the way to go for now, and maybe something else later. More versatile with mods and accessories, and similar taste profile.

I will be looking at all the suggestions in this thread and would welcome others!
    If you like to tinker, modding your bullet is the best part.  I have modded 6 WSMs.  I would consider these mandatory...

1.  Unknown BBQ hinge.  You can get a nice 3 piece step drill bit kit at Harbor Freight for cheap.
    2.  Garage door handles can be bent in a vice to fit the preexisting holes in the middle section to make removing it much easier.
    3.  Notch mod in middle section lip, seen in pic above, allowing probes to go through without pinching.  Makes it easy to remove when accessing meat.
    4.  SS hose clamps from the plumbing dept to combine the ash grid, ring, like a KAB.
    5.  Copper handles for the bottom grid for easy lifting.
    6.  Door prop mod, inverting the door with screws to run hotter in the 300s, 400s raised direct, basically making it an awesome grill.  It's not just a smoker.
    7.  Run waterless with foil covering the pan.  Water sucks the energy from your BTUs, main reason the guy upthread has difficulty running overnighters.  Like the egg, catch your temps on the way up.  Most times I have to touch the vents maybe once, sometimes not at all.

Also tweak the door to fit, the achilles heel of the WSM.  All of mine had to be shaped to fit tight, and not leak.  

18 vs 22 is an epic debate.
    If you do a lot of brisket, ribs, butts, I would go with the 22.  You can lay things out with plenty if room, 3 racks of ribs on each grid easy.  Things can be done on the 18, but you have to shoehorn a brisket in there.  The 18 is a fuel miser compared to the charcoal hog of the 22.
    It's nice to have options.  =)

HTH as well my friend.
    That helps a lot, thanks Focker.

I see one of these in my future.