Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My Franklin BBq Pilgrimage - Los Angeles to Austin Tx in 24 hrs - A Day In Pictures

Options

Comments

• DirtyMingusMcGee
    Options
    Wow. Awesome trip and write up. Thanks. I was given Aaron's book at xmas and it is great. More of an every page reader than a cookbook. It is clear that is a pilgrimage I must make! 
    Located deep in the heart of the Dirty South...
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,970
    edited January 2018
    Options
    buzd504 said:
    So what's the story on "Cooper's"?  I've never heard of that one.

coopers is a strange recommendation from Franklin but I like it. There are 4-5 of them around and they are all a franchise of the original but still owned by people in the Cooper family (at least that's the way it has been in the past). You order right off the pit and they chop off whatever you want right there, then you take it inside and they weigh it. It's a Medieval feast. The Q is decent but not anywhere near Franklins/Valentina's/LaBarbecue and many others around here. It's an experience but they cook on gassers for the masses at most of the locations. I think the original in Llano (an hour outside of Austin) still runs wood pits. 

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    you order off these big brick pits outside then go in to pay and get sides etc. It's hard not to overbuy when you see it all lined up like this:

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    buzd504 said:
    So what's the story on "Cooper's"?  I've never heard of that one.

coopers is a strange recommendation from Franklin but I like it. There are 4-5 of them around and they are all a franchise of the original but still owned by people in the Cooper family (at least that's the way it has been in the past). You order right off the pit and they chop off whatever you want right there, then you take it inside and they weigh it. It's a Medieval feast. The Q is decent but not anywhere near Franklins/Valentina's/LaBarbecue and many others around here. It's an experience but they cook on gassers for the masses at most of the locations. I think the original in Llano (an hour outside of Austin) still runs wood pits. 

Interesting, thanks.
    NOLA
  • Hook_emHornsfan_74
    Options
    you order off these big brick pits outside then go in to pay and get sides etc. It's hard not to overbuy when you see it all lined up like this:

Couldn't agree more with your assessment of Coopers.  Its just blah compared to Valentina's and Franklin's.  Sometimes when driving back to Midland from Austin, we stop and get some Coopers for home and every time I do it swear its my last time.  La-barbecue is next on my list to try.  Will be in Austin in May, we should try to meet up and feast on some good Q.  SWMBO's daughter just built a condo on Cooper Lane in south Austin.   Its like 10 mins from Valentina's.  Couldn't be happier.   I have only had their breakfast tacos.  They Holyfield is amazing as well as the brisket/avcacado taco.  Can't wait to try the rest.  
    Midland, TX XLBGE
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    Looks like LaBarbeque will be opening in Los Angeles soon.  That bodes well for ya Tim!

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    I think I recall that Coopers is W’s favorite BBQ.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options

Couldn't agree more with your assessment of Coopers.  Its just blah compared to Valentina's and Franklin's.  Sometimes when driving back to Midland from Austin, we stop and get some Coopers for home and every time I do it swear its my last time.  La-barbecue is next on my list to try.  Will be in Austin in May, we should try to meet up and feast on some good Q.  SWMBO's daughter just built a condo on Cooper Lane in south Austin.   Its like 10 mins from Valentina's.  Couldn't be happier.   I have only had their breakfast tacos.  They Holyfield is amazing as well as the brisket/avcacado taco.  Can't wait to try the rest.  

let's do it. I bet we could get a pretty big crew together for a day like that. 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Looks like LaBarbeque will be opening in Los Angeles soon.  That bodes well for ya Tim!

that's right! They moved one of their trailers out there when they opened the brick and mortar. They should be really close. 
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,767
    Options
    Thank for sharing @SoCalTim
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options

let's do it. I bet we could get a pretty big crew together for a day like that. 
    Ya know, i might be available for that! Keep me in mind!
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,767
    Options
    @SoCalTim I did not see any sausage on your plate, did you get to try any?
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Legume
    Options
    Haha - I just noticed the Big Red.  Did someone talk you into that?
  • SoCalTim
    Options
    @lkapigian - we went turkey over sausage, dunno why, should have ordered it too. @Legume - saw a review that said it was a Tx classic that went perfect with Franklin bbq, it was excellent.
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • Legume
    Options
    SoCalTim said:
    @lkapigian - we went turkey over sausage, dunno why, should have ordered it too. @Legume - saw a review that said it was a Tx classic that went perfect with Franklin bbq, it was excellent.
    See, I didn’t even notice it the first time I looked, seemed normal.
  • Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Options
    Looks like a great trip, well done on the early start and line position.
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    Thanks for sharing Tim.  Hope to one day make the journey.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• mEGG_My_Day
    mEGG_My_Day Posts: 1,653
    Options
    Appreciate the write up Tim - sounds like y'all had a great time.
    Memphis, TN 

LBGE, 2 SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    I went to Coopers back in '97.   Very cool spot and some solid Q back then.  Looks like some of the new guys are doing better stuff now.  I wish I lived close to Austin now.  
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Outstanding post, and thank you for sharing. Very nicely done.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Options
    Great post Tim. Definitely moves up on my bucket list. Thx!
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • JMCXL
    JMCXL Posts: 1,524
    Options
    Someday I will make the trip, it’s top of the bucket list
    Northern New Jersey
     XL - Woo2, AR      L (2) - Woo, PS Woo     MM (2) - Woo       MINI

Check out https://www.grillingwithpapaj.com for some fun and more Grilling with Papa (incase you haven't gotten enough of me)

Also, check out my YouTube Page
    https://www.youtube.com/c/grillingwithpapaj

Follow me on Facebook 
    https://www.facebook.com/GrillingPapaJ/

• Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    I like it you wore a BGE hoodie for this experience!
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Hans61 said:
    I like it you wore a BGE hoodie for this experience!
    And he printed it himself!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• SoCalTim
    Options
    The Cen-Tex Smoker  - I see Stubb's has 3 restaurants in Austin, have you ever eaten at any of them??
  • Legume
    edited January 2018
    Options
    @socaltim I’ve never eaten at the original, but the one on 5th and the one labeled Graceland Grocery both serve food from the original.  They’re sort of bar-embedded places - bbq sandwiches, sliders and nachos kind of stuff.  Good, but not remarkable is how I hear it described by most people.  And nothing to do with Stubbs sauces, that name was sold off long ago and is why the Graceland Grocery is in the name of that location - they got sued over it.
  • Legume
    Options
    Are you starting a hit list for your next visit?
  • SoCalTim
    Options
    Legume said:
    Are you starting a hit list for your next visit?
    Hey, it's never too early .. lol. Actually I was talking to a guy in line & he told next time I gotta hit the food trucks, said they were incredible. I'd like to go back early summer.
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,846
    Options
    SoCalTim said:
    The Cen-Tex Smoker  - I see Stubb's has 3 restaurants in Austin, have you ever eaten at any of them??
    I've been to the one that is downtown and has a Sunday Gospel Brunch.  It's a fun experience mixing some rock n' roll gospel music with a BBQ buffet on a Sunday morning.  The food is decent but by itself it is nothing to write home about.  

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• gonepostal
    Options
    Austin is on the bucket list. Hopefully 2019. The plan is to take 2 weeks off and hit as many places as possible. Thanks for posting!
    Wetumpka, Alabama
    LBGE and MM