Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My Franklin BBq Pilgrimage - Los Angeles to Austin Tx in 24 hrs - A Day In Pictures

Options
Obligatory visit to Daley Plaza - Site of JFK Assassination in Dallas

Rise and shine, fourth in line @ Franklin

The line wraps around the building

Prepping our order

The food - This is what $150 dollars gets you @ Franklin's

Tour of 'the pits & kitchen'

I've been doing quite a bit of thinking since my visit yesterday, first .. let me say 'it was magical'. I liken my experience to a Broadway Show, agree or disagree .. Franklin is the #1 restaurant on the planet, it indeed is legendary, I think Aaron and his employees know this, they also know people from all over the world are visiting his restaurant everyday - everyday is a performance.

My experience is that they made me feel like I was their only customer, they were very genuine, when the girl came by to ask what our general order would be, I very politely asked her if it would be possible to tour the pits when we were done.

Her response was 'Absolutely 100% YES' .. she told me the second we were done eating to seek her out and infact when we were done, she approached us and took us in back.

When we got to the front of the line to order, the guy who was taking and prepping our order asked where we were from, when we got into town and suggested other bbq restaurants we should try .. he recommended 'Cooper's and said it was top notch.
I will never forget my experience here, what a show ... what a performance put on by each & every employee @ Franklin's

******************************************************************************************************

I didn't mean to attach this last photo, it was quite a bit of work to get all the photo's attached here and i really didn't feel 
like starting over. The photo is my best friends mom who came over to bbq with us weekend before last - really nice lady.

I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.

Comments

• SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    ** Again, sorry for the shoddy posting and duplicate pics, posting from a cell phone is not always easy for me on the forum, but I think you get a general idea from the actual post. Tim
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,344
    Options
    Glad it lived up to your expectations!
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• JohnnyTarheel
    Options
    Brother Tim thanks for sharing.... looks and sounds like your visit was a great experience... this is one you can check off your list... my son visited in May of this year and had very similar experience...
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • pasoegg
    pasoegg Posts: 447
    Options
    Sounds like Franklins does what Disney World does....Makes it a magical day for it's patrons!!!!   Enjoyed you sharing your experience so we all could be along with you.....CONGRATS!!!!!

"it is never too early to drink, but it may be too early to be seen drinking"

Winston-Salem, NC

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Awesome write up. Looks like a great time! 

Is the girl in the background of the first picture with you, or is she just excited to get her picture taken? 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options
    Glad you enjoyed the trip to Franklin's and Texas!
    I worked in SOCAL back in 1997 selling Smog machines. Chatsworth was one of a few cities I had in my territory.
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • SaltySam
    SaltySam Posts: 887
    Options
    My buddy and I are planning our pilgrimage as this thread hit the presses.  The pic of your glorious tray of meat is great.  From my phone, it’s hard to zoom.  Looks like you got brisket, ribs, turkey, tater salad...did I miss anything? 

LBGE since June 2012

Omaha, NE

• SoCalTim
    Options
    SaltySam said:
    My buddy and I are planning our pilgrimage as this thread hit the presses.  The pic of your glorious tray of meat is great.  From my phone, it’s hard to zoom.  Looks like you got brisket, ribs, turkey, tater salad...did I miss anything? 
    Yes, I was really surprised how juicy the turkey was, never had turkey like that before. We ordered everything on the menu & took some home.
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Tim, congratulations and glad you enjoyed the experience. Setting the bar extremely high for the rest of us non-Texans. SoCalTim said:
    The food - This is what $150 dollars gets you @ Franklin's

......That white bread is expensive. Beautiful feast right there.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    Great post Tim.  Looks like a good time.  I'll be doing this for myself hopefully soon.
    Phoenix 
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Great post indeed. Need to make the pilgrimage. 
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Roadpuke0
    Roadpuke0 Posts: 529
    Options
    What beautiful plate my friend. 
    Plumbers local 130 chicago.     Why do today what you can do tomorrow

weapons: XL, Minie, old gasser, weber, v10 Bradley smoker and sometimes talent!

Bristol, Wisconsin 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Oh yeah, that “moisture” on the turkey is butter. They dunk it in butter after they slice it. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    Options
    That looks like a trip worth doing. I've got to get it on my calendar
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    20stone said:
    That looks like a trip worth doing. I've got to get it on my calendar
    Let’s go. 
  • SoCalTim
    Options
    The Cen-Tex Smoker I had dinner the night before at Hard 8 bbq in Dallas, in line I struck up conversation with a young couple, I tried to explain 'Franklin' to them and the wait, they didn't get it - all I heard was 'I'm not standing in line for bbq' .. oh well, their loss.

Also, dunking the turkey in butter .. I was wondering what their secret was, gonna try it! Thanks!
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Sounds like an awesome trip (and one I certainly need to make)!!!
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    Options
    SoCalTim said:
    The Cen-Tex Smoker I had dinner the night before at Hard 8 bbq in Dallas, in line I struck up conversation with a young couple, I tried to explain 'Franklin' to them and the wait, they didn't get it - all I heard was 'I'm not standing in line for bbq' .. oh well, their loss.

Also, dunking the turkey in butter .. I was wondering what their secret was, gonna try it! Thanks!
    How was hard 8 my friend in Dallas raves about it but i tell her I’m not eating bbq in Texas again until I go to franklins (it might be a while until I visit there anyways).
  • SoCalTim
    Options
    U_tarded said:
    SoCalTim said:

How was hard 8 my friend in Dallas raves about it but i tell her I’m not eating bbq in Texas again until I go to franklins (it might be a while until I visit there anyways).
    The atmosphere was awesome and as my very first Texas bbq, it was the most incredible I've ever had - Until I ate @ Franklin's. 

On a SoCalTim scale of 1 thru 10, 10 being Franklin's ... I give it 9 stars. I'd absolutely go back!
  • Austin  Egghead
    Options
    I am glad you had a great time, good eats and a tour of the pits and behind the scenes.  
    4th in line, you really did get up early.  
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • SoCalTim
    Options
    I am glad you had a great time, good eats and a tour of the pits and behind the scenes.  
    Our initial plan was 4am .. but after talking to a few guys here, that was way too early. We got to Franklin's just a touch after 6am .. and scored a prime spot in line.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,961
    edited January 2018
    Options
    SoCalTim said:

Everyone up there loves Hard 8. It’s good but They couldn’t carry Franklins jock strap. 
  • dmourati
    dmourati Posts: 1,268
    Options
    SoCalTim said:
    Our initial plan was 4am .. but after talking to a few guys here, that was way too early. We got to Franklin's just a touch after 6am .. and scored a prime spot in line.
    I was the one who said 4am. Glad I was wrong and you didn't get there so early as to negatively impact the trip. Good stuff.
    Mountain View, CA
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,332
    Options
    Way to just get it done.  Congrats on the whirl-wind jet/road trip.  Now that you have been to the top of the mountain, you now have an objective to hit with brisket for the remainder of your time cooking that hunk of protein.  
    Great analogy to a high end Broadway show and the enthusiasm of the entire staff.  
    Next time you need to allocate a few more days since you were in the brisket capital of the world.  
    Thanks for the great write-up.  Now back to tri-tip  ;)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • JacksDad
    JacksDad Posts: 538
    Options
    Oh yeah, that “moisture” on the turkey is butter. They dunk it in butter after they slice it. 
    Yep! I watched them do it, and asked "Did you just dunk my turkey in butter?". Yes. Yes they did. And it was delicious. 

Large BGE -- New Jersey

• Hawg Fan
    Hawg Fan Posts: 1,517
    Options
    That's awesome! I'll have to remember the turkey dunked in butter trick.

Any road will take you there if you don't know where you're going.

Terry

Rockwall, TX
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    So what's the story on "Cooper's"?  I've never heard of that one.
    NOLA