Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

GA-AL Redux

Options

Comments

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    DMW said:
    bgebrent said:
    DMW said:
    Lit said:

It’s stupid there are so many college teams and to take only 4? There are only 32 NFL teams and 12 get in it doesn’t make any sense. 
    How many teams would you like to see get in? Top 20? Should strength of schedule play any part in deciding who gets picked? 
    An actual power of two might be a better way to go...
    Math matters.
    Those numbers are odd. 
    No, they are not. Those are all even numbers.
    I find that to be odd. 
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    What is odd is the total number of games actually played.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Well, that's kind of a requirement.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    DMW said:
    Well, that's kind of a requirement.
    2^n - 1
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,221
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Most of them are getting paid through scholarships. I wouldn’t mind them getting paid a little pocket change as well but my concern is once you open that door there will be no end.
    A scholarship isn’t worth much these days as compared to pre lotto days. Anyone can get an in state lotto funded scholarship with decent (not great) grades. You’ve got strength coaches making $500k and there’s no money to pay these kids? 
  • StillH2OEgger
    Options
    Y'all are aware that college athletes already receive monthly stipends, right? There's a formula that determines how much schools can give, but Clemson football players receive nearly $400 a month, which I feel is plenty when compared to already receiving tuition, room and board.
    Stillwater, MN
  • distanceman
    Options
    Most of them are getting paid through scholarships. I wouldn’t mind them getting paid a little pocket change as well but my concern is once you open that door there will be no end.
    A scholarship isn’t worth much these days as compared to pre lotto days. Anyone can get an in state lotto funded scholarship with decent (not great) grades. You’ve got strength coaches making $500k and there’s no money to pay these kids? 
    The one sickening thing about CFB is how much money it brings in, yet the kids don't see a dime. I.e. Todd Gurley gets suspended for selling HIS autograph. Yet others are making money hand over fist. 

I read one article arguing schools should put money in a long term scholarship fund if they want to continue education down the road, or have medical issues, etc. 

I went to a service academy, and we weren't allowed to work, and also had a pretty busy schedule with school, athletics and military stuff. So they paid us a stipend, on top of room, board, food, education. It was nice to have some money to do something other than sit in the dorms. 

I wonder if NCAA could ever do something similar; attach a capped amount per month, per scholarship. I think the main downside is what about sports that don't bring in money (men's wrestling, women's water polo, etc etc). That could add up really quick--especially for schools that don't make hundreds of millions from football. 
    Located Middle GA

Current: XL w/ Woo & 17" Half Moon Plates, SMOBOT

RIP: Weber 22" Kettle, Slow 'n Sear, Akorn Jr., Pit Barrel Cooker
  • SemolinaPilchard
    Options
    I know someone who hopes his son gets "exploited" to Stanford.
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    Appalachian State beat Michigan in 2007.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • DoubleEgger
    Options
    Y'all are aware that college athletes already receive monthly stipends, right? There's a formula that determines how much schools can give, but Clemson football players receive nearly $400 a month, which I feel is plenty when compared to already receiving tuition, room and board.
    $400 a month. Bhahahahaha. These kids can’t get a job and many come from lower income households with little or no financial help from home.  How do you expect a young man to have a life on  $100/week while putting in 50-60hrs in for football? If you think these young men are getting anything close to a real college education, you are kidding yourself. The scholarship is nothing more than a place marker for these athletes. 
    The economic impact of each Clemson player is hundreds of thousands of dollars (Alabama is over $500k/player/yr). There’s more money to go around than a Benjamin a week. Especially since they’ve added games to the schedule over the years. 
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    It’s all a pretty big scam.  Hard for me to see what finally breaks it down.
  • DoubleEgger
    Options
    I’m waiting for CTE to get into college athletics. It wasn’t just the NFL hits that cause brain damage yet they are taking the full brunt. 
  • bgebrent
    Options
    It’s why Duke gets the easy road every f’ing time. 
  • GaBGE
    GaBGE Posts: 556
    Options
    I can’t figure out how these big time players that can’t work because of busy schedules drive brand new $40,000+ vehicles. 
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    It's all the fault of the teaching staff. Especially post grad.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • StillH2OEgger
    Options
    $400 a month. Bhahahahaha. These kids can’t get a job and many come from lower income households with little or no financial help from home.  How do you expect a young man to have a life on  $100/week while putting in 50-60hrs in for football? If you think these young men are getting anything close to a real college education, you are kidding yourself. The scholarship is nothing more than a place marker for these athletes. 
    The economic impact of each Clemson player is hundreds of thousands of dollars (Alabama is over $500k/player/yr). There’s more money to go around than a Benjamin a week. Especially since they’ve added games to the schedule over the years. 
    If my college tuition, room and board were all covered by my athletic scholarship, what needs do I really have? Who has time to spend money when your allegedly working 50-60 hours per week? Aging myself here, but even at my best I wasn't drinking $100 worth per week. The stipends are also more than $400 at many schools. I believe Auburn, even after losing to the alleged "national champions" players receive closer to $600 per month.
    Stillwater, MN
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    I’m waiting for CTE to get into college athletics. It wasn’t just the NFL hits that cause brain damage yet they are taking the full brunt. 
    That for sure is coming.  Whether or not it ends up making a real difference remains to be seen.  Lot of athletes and families will still choose to roll the dice.
  • bgebrent
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    John has no control. The dollars his grants generate ...
  • DoubleEgger
    edited January 2018
    Options
    If my college tuition, room and board were all covered by my athletic scholarship, what needs do I really have? Who has time to spend money when your allegedly working 50-60 hours per week? Aging myself here, but even at my best I wasn't drinking $100 worth per week. The stipends are also more than $400 at many schools. I believe Auburn, even after losing to the alleged "national champions" players receive closer to $600 per month.
    Car insurance,Parking passes, maintenance, gas, beer money, date money, walking around money, incidentals, etc. It adds up. 

Kids are getting screwed out of an honest education for a C note a week. 
  • DoubleEgger
    Options
  • Eggdicted_Dawgfan
    Options
    Here is a pretty good read regarding paying players. The problem is tuition is not the same for all schools and I can’t imaging paying these guys 100k plus to play college football.  A lot of these guys would not even be at these schools if it weren’t for their athletic abilities earning them a scholarship. 

https://www.google.com/amp/amp.timeinc.net/time/money/4241077/why-we-shouldnt-pay-college-athletes
    Snellville, GA

• StillH2OEgger
    Options
    Car insurance,Parking passes, maintenance, gas, beer money, date money, walking around money, incidentals, etc. It adds up. 

According to the NCAA, the graduation rate for Division I college athletes was 87 percent last year. Football and basketball are the only revenue sports so I'm not sure whether you support paying all athletes or just the ones who participate in revenue sports, but it appears many are taking advantage of their opportunity earn degrees that cost a great deal of money for non-scholarship athletes. You also seem to suggest that all or a majority of college athletes come from underprivileged home situations with little family support for those incidentals. I know those exist, but I don't think it's as high a percentage as you might think.
    Stillwater, MN
  • DoubleEgger
    Options

According to the NCAA, the graduation rate for Division I college athletes was 87 percent last year. Football and basketball are the only revenue sports so I'm not sure whether you support paying all athletes or just the ones who participate in revenue sports, but it appears many are taking advantage of their opportunity earn degrees that cost a great deal of money for non-scholarship athletes. You also seem to suggest that all or a majority of college athletes come from underprivileged home situations with little family support for those incidentals. I know those exist, but I don't think it's as high a percentage as you might think.
    My main point is that these kids are getting screwed. Perhaps the women’s rowing team not so much as a NCAA Division 1 football or basketball player. The whole scholarship argument is a total farce in my opinion. 
  • StillH2OEgger
    Options
    DoubleEgger said: My main point is that these kids are getting screwed. Perhaps the women’s rowing team not so much as a NCAA Division 1 football or basketball player. The whole scholarship argument is a total farce in my opinion. 
    I hate to sound like I'm defending the NCAA, because I'm not, but I also don't understand how you can diminish the value of a college degree that can run $100,000-$200,000 nowadays, though the athletes have to show some initiative to take advantage of those opportunities. There have been positive changes the past several years, including limits on the number of hours per week you can practice. The university I happen to be a fan of, just spent $200 million for facilities that only serve the academic, dining and training needs of its athletes. Considering the number of athletes who won't make it in the pros, I think a reasonable monthly stipend and free college education isn't a bad deal. They're living higher on the hog than a lot of their non-athlete peers on campus.
    Stillwater, MN
  • DoubleEgger
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I can diminish it for two reasons. 
    1) You can get a scholarship in a lot of states like my home state of GA simply by having decent grades in high school. You don’t have to sell yourself for 50-60hrs a week to get it.
    2) A lot of these young men aren’t getting the education they desire. These kids simply are not getting the time in the classroom and study time. Monday night’s game is on a school night. Basketball games during the week all the time. They are simply being shuffled through the system. What happens when a player gets hurt and can’t play anymore? That scholarship goes away. Remember Devon Cole and the UGA game. He’s just now attempting to walk again. 
  • StillH2OEgger
    Options
    I don't entirely disagree with much of what you're saying, and yes, many pursue less rigorous majors because of their sport of choice. There are clearly other time commitments, but the NCAA limits actual practice time to 20 hours per week (4 hours per day), which isn't to say that doesn't get violated. Having said that, I'd put the time commitment at closer to 30-40 hours per week rather than 50-60. Don't forget these athletes also have access to academic support and tutors that many students don't.
    Stillwater, MN
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    GaBGE said:
    I can’t figure out how these big time players that can’t work because of busy schedules drive brand new $40,000+ vehicles. 
    I agree with this. I used to see the quarterback at the time when I was at UCF driving around a Navigator with 20” rims. This was when those rims were $10k. 
  • GoldenQ
    GoldenQ Posts: 567
    Options
    Roll Tide Roll all the way to the bottom of the football rankings.
    I XL  and 1 Weber Kettle  And 1 Weber Q220       Outside Alvin, TX-- South of Houston
  • Salmonegg
    Options
    Remember Devon Cole and the UGA game. He’s just now attempting to walk again. 
    Do you mean Devon Gales? I thought Southern offered him a scholarship to complete his undergraduate degree and attend graduate school. He came back to Atlanta to rehab at the Shepherd Center, instead, and he's going to the game tonight.
  • bucky925
    bucky925 Posts: 2,029
    Options
    I met a guy thru a business contact a few years ago.  As we talked he told me he was a scholarship wide reciver at dook.  I asked how hard the curriculum was.  I was a little surprised when he told me it was harder to get into duke than earn your degree.  He told me they gave students all the tools they needed to be successful  all they have to do is take advantage of them.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.