Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

GA-AL Redux

Comments

• etherdome said:
    Let’s not forget that there were no playoffs at all 4 years ago. Baby steps. It’s a step in the right direction. Before they can add another round to the playoffs they will have to convince teams to drop one or two of their fluff games. These are college kids and it is in no ones best interest to extend the season.  
    UCF should have no problem finding a fluff game or two to drop.... =). Sorry , I couldn’t resist . 
    So could every team in NCAA
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • Nah I don’t take it as an insult. I have the line at 3.5 but even at 4 I don’t think it’s disrespectful. Keep in mind who the coach is and who he’s coaching against (his former assistant). That is worth a point or 2 imo. But to be honest if we lose by 4 points or less I will go to bed feeling pretty good about the season and our future. I just hope we can find those 4 points on the field somewhere. GO DAWGS. 
    Snellville, GA

• etherdome
    etherdome Posts: 471
    I would say 8 is too many but who knows . Then you would have 2 and 3 loss teams contending for national championship. And then what’s to separate the two and 3 loss teams that got in and the ones that didn’t? It’s a never ending argument. Whoever barely misses  it will always feel shafted . 
    Upstate SC
    Large BGE,  Blackstone, Weber genesis , Weber charcoal classic
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited January 2018
    @Lit UCF's transformation to Champions 13-0 was not by luck nor accident.  It took tireless dedication by the entire program.  Congrats to the Knights!
    Husker Nation feels blessed to have Coach Scott Frost. Welcome home Coach. 
    https://youtu.be/1eWfe597CKY
    https://youtu.be/bmwbkxL_j5k

LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • etherdome
    etherdome Posts: 471
    etherdome said:
    Let’s not forget that there were no playoffs at all 4 years ago. Baby steps. It’s a step in the right direction. Before they can add another round to the playoffs they will have to convince teams to drop one or two of their fluff games. These are college kids and it is in no ones best interest to extend the season.  
    UCF should have no problem finding a fluff game or two to drop.... =). Sorry , I couldn’t resist . 
    So could every team in NCAA
    I agree, but let’s just say some have a few more to spare, which is why they are in this situation to begin with. 
    Upstate SC
    Large BGE,  Blackstone, Weber genesis , Weber charcoal classic
  • Lit said:

It’s stupid there are so many college teams and to take only 4? There are only 32 NFL teams and 12 get in it doesn’t make any sense. 
    How many teams would you like to see get in? Top 20? Should strength of schedule play any part in deciding who gets picked? 
    Snellville, GA

• shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,629
    bgebrent said:
    This is a home game for a hungry Georgia team. Freshman qb is my concern despite his performance thus far. Should be a good game. 
    One could argue this being a home game for Alabama as well. Look how many times they have played in Atlanta over the last several years.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Lit said:

It’s stupid there are so many college teams and to take only 4? There are only 32 NFL teams and 12 get in it doesn’t make any sense. 
    How many teams would you like to see get in? Top 20? Should strength of schedule play any part in deciding who gets picked? 
    Top 20 would work. Strength of schedule is part of the rankings. It would be hard for a team that didn’t make top 20 to argue they should have been the national champion. 
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    @Eggdicted_Dawgfan They've discussed 6 or 8. Yes, strength of schedule is a consideration. But, if that's the soul focus then I would consider it rigged.  BIG, 12, PAC, SEC, ACC etc. all play hard and should have an equal chance at those seats based off of record.
    Let the pissing contest begin :whistle:
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Lit said:

An actual power of two might be a better way to go...
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • I agree, but let’s just say some have a few more to spare, which is why they are in this situation to begin with. 
    @etherdome completely agree. They need to either play in a legitimate conference, or knock out a few legitimate top 5-10 teams during the regular season. 

Being #80-90 for SOS and arguing they should've got in is a joke. After the Aubrun win, ok, more valid argument...but it came too little too late. Maybe next year, though without Frost they'll prob drop. We'll see...
    Located Middle GA

Current: XL w/ Woo & 17" Half Moon Plates, SMOBOT

RIP: Weber 22" Kettle, Slow 'n Sear, Akorn Jr., Pit Barrel Cooker

• Top 20 would work. Strength of schedule is part of the rankings. It would be hard for a team that didn’t make top 20 to argue they should have been the national champion. 
    Nonsense. Then it would mean next to nothing to make the playoffs. And I’m sure you know this is not even remotely possible. Unless you limit the regular season to 7 games. Money plays a huge part in the conversation.
    Snellville, GA

• @Eggdicted_Dawgfan They've discussed 6 or 8. Yes, strength of schedule is a consideration. But, if that's the soul focus then I would consider it rigged.  BIG, 12, PAC, SEC, ACC etc. all play hard and should have an equal chance at those seats based off of record.
    Let the pissing contest begin :whistle:
    Yes 6 or 8 would be fine. Any more than that and you are taking too much away from the importance of every single game and that’s one thing that makes college football so much fun and so intense. You almost can’t lose and still control your own destiny.

I see you didn’t mention the AAC in there. I don’t believe SOS should be the only factor and it’s definately not. But when all things are equal I think it should play a big part. But UCF schedule does not even rank in the top 60 I don’t believe. Where do you draw the line and let someone in just because they haven’t lost?
    Snellville, GA

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Lit said:

Math matters.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Lit
    I agree, but let’s just say some have a few more to spare, which is why they are in this situation to begin with. 
    @etherdome completely agree. They need to either play in a legitimate conference, or knock out a few legitimate top 5-10 teams during the regular season. 

Being #80-90 for SOS and arguing they should've got in is a joke. After the Aubrun win, ok, more valid argument...but it came too little too late. Maybe next year, though without Frost they'll prob drop. We'll see...
    So UCF should have just not played this year since they never had a chance from day one. 
  • No I think they play, they give it their best, and hold their heads high for knocking off Auburn in the Peach Bowl. It was a heck of a season. They proved they can hang with the best. 

But to make the argument, prior to a big win against Auburn, that they should've been Top 4 because they were undefeated in the AAC is complete nonsense. That's why I believe they have to go undefeated and have a "signature win" to even be in the talks come CFP time.
    Located Middle GA

• Well let’s say GA state went undefeated this year. Should they have been in? How about Troy? UAB? If an undefeated season guaranteed someone outside of a power 5 conference a spot in the playoffs what would be the reason to schedule tough out of conference opponents. They would all schedule the easiest schedule possible. 
    Snellville, GA

• Plenty of teams out there already know they could run the table next year and win every game by 40 and still not make the playoffs. Including UCF if they have the same SOS next year. 
    Snellville, GA

• Lit
    No I think they play, they give it their best, and hold their heads high for knocking off Auburn in the Peach Bowl. It was a heck of a season. They proved they can hang with the best. 

But to make the argument, prior to a big win against Auburn, that they should've been Top 4 because they were undefeated in the AAC is complete nonsense. That's why I believe they have to go undefeated and have a "signature win" to even be in the talks come CFP time.
    They beat everyone they played they didn’t have a chance for a signature win. It seems like the way the schedule is chosen may be the biggest issue.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    Time to start paying these kids. 
  • Most of them are getting paid through scholarships. I wouldn’t mind them getting paid a little pocket change as well but my concern is once you open that door there will be no end.
    Snellville, GA

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    DMW said:
    Lit said:

Math matters.

They beat everyone they played they didn’t have a chance for a signature win. It seems like the way the schedule is chosen may be the biggest issue.
    Yeah, and I'm sure there is so much that goes into scheduling...I also have no doubt good teams won't want to play UCF--they'll see it as a lose-lose. And that's why I would've loved to see UCF call out the P5 teams and challenge them to schedule UCF next year(s) -- but instead, they declared themselves NCs & showed (in my lowly opinion) why they don't belong on the big stage. 

Located Middle GA

• Lit said:
    No I think they play, they give it their best, and hold their heads high for knocking off Auburn in the Peach Bowl. It was a heck of a season. They proved they can hang with the best. 

In UCF case you are correct their schedule is their biggest issue. Raise the bar a couple notches and you may be on to something. 
    Snellville, GA

• DMW
    DMW said:
    Lit said:

Math matters.
    64, 128, 256, 512, 1024, 2048, 4096...

I could do this all night.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,869
    edited January 2018
    DMW said:
    DMW said:
    Lit said:

Math matters.
    64, 128, 256, 512, 1024, 2048, 4096...

I could do this all night.
    A 4096-Team playoff would probably remove all arguments about teams not having a shot.  Although then people would complain about the seeding...
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Lit
    #4097 was undefeated. 
  • I see the smart guys have shown up to the party. 
    Snellville, GA

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    DMW said:
    Lit said:

Math matters.
    Those numbers are odd. 
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • DMW
    bgebrent said:
    DMW said:
    Lit said:

Math matters.
    Those numbers are odd. 
    No, they are not. Those are all even numbers.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA