Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sausage recipe thread - post 'em here

There have been a ton of threads about sausage lately (and I've started a couple).  It occurs to me that it would be handy to have some favorites all in one spot.

So, if you have a favorite, either:
  • Post the recipe in the replies
  • Post a link to the old thread in the replies
After everyone has their fun, I will add them into my super secret spreadsheet (used to prevent me from fu$%ing up scaling up recipes or getting units wrong) and make it available to the group.

Requirements:
  • You've made it before
  • If it is from a cookbook, please reference the book/page as the source, in case folks want to see the source material
  • Pictures a plus
A starter recipe:

Texas Beef Sausage - @20stone and @The Cen-Tex Smoker  (to soak up extra pork back fat)
(measured in the crazy convention of g per 10lbs of meat)

Lean beef (top round or similar) - 7 lbs
Pork fat - 3 lbs

Kosher salt - 51.4g (for 1.38% all in)
Cure 1 - 11.4g 

Black pepper - 30.0g
Cayenne - 6.8g
Hungarian paprika - 6.0g
Onion powder - 15.0g
Garlic - 24 cloves
Jalapenos - 300.0g
Beer - 1.3 12oz cans

Case in 32/35 hog casings

1) make sausage
2) air chill til pellicle is formed  (sticky outside, hanging in a fridge overnight is best)
3) hot smoke at 180F until IT of  150F
4) ice bath, and air dry

(now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
GE induction stove
Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX

Comments

• Great idea. Bookmarked
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Here’s a thread on some smoked garlicky sausages from earlier this year: http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1209806/sausage-fest-making-croatian-kobasice-smoked-sausages-with-bge-ar
    Bridgeport, Chicago, IL
    XLBGE, MiniMax BGE
  • And here’s a link to my go-to snack stick recipe. 
    http://chopandbrew.com/recipes/spicy-beef-stick-snack-stick-recipe/
    Bridgeport, Chicago, IL
    XLBGE, MiniMax BGE
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Brilliant idea. 

Can you post the recipe for the hunter sausage that Andy V made that time?

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    caliking said:
    Brilliant idea. 

Can you post the recipe for the hunter sausage that Andy V made that time?
    Kabanosy (Polish hunters sausage - Andrew V., now of Mondo Market at Stanley (in Denver... go see him)
    (all measurements in % of meat weight)

Pork - 100%
    Kosher salt - 1.75% (note - this is higher salt than I use for fresh sausage)
    Cure 1 - 0.25%
    Sugar - 0.20%
    Black pepper - 0.20%
    Nutmeg - 0.06%
    Caraway seeds (whole toasted) - 0.06%
    Ice water to bind after grinding

1) grind
    2) mix with ice water (paddle mixer or by hand) until sticky
    3) stuff into sheep casings (24/26), making long (12") links
    4) hang and chill til pellicle formed (sticky, overnight is great)
    5) hot smoke (180F) until IT of 150F
    6) ice bath
    7) hang in a fridge or meat locker (35F-60F) for several days
    8) vac bag (or eat, because it's awesome)

(now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove

Austin, TX
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Anyone have a good texas hot link recipe?  I think i saw one before here amd i tried it...a little too spicy for my audience but if anyone has one they like, id love to see it!
  • 20stone
    Anyone have a good texas hot link recipe?  I think i saw one before here amd i tried it...a little too spicy for my audience but if anyone has one they like, id love to see it!
    You might check out the Texas beef recipe I put up there.  They have a fair amount of heat but could use more if you are looking for some pop.  They do have jalapenos as 7% of meat weight.
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove

Austin, TX
  • westernbbq
    @20stone,  will it work with pork only?
  • The chicken tomato basil in the book charcuterie was a hit at NCBB I

http://ruhlman.com/2013/03/chicken-sausage/
  • 20stone
    One way to find out.  We developed the recipe to soak up the surplus pork fat from our butterball hogs.  I suspect that they would be awesome with pork.
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove

Austin, TX
  • @20stone,  will it work with pork only?

should work but true TX hot links are mostly beef. 
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,708

@The Cen-Tex Smoker Was looking for a true East Texas Hot Link like like Docs and a few others I have seen, no real luck but they seem to be most if not all beef, fat content appears extremely high, lots of heat and probably a ton of Paprika to give it that color and appears to be a loose bind..Also the way that are cooked seems different, looks like they are smoked and then "poached"........Am I close?
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Not a recipe - but A&M just opened up it's registration for the Creative Sausage making class (email below):

You are receiving this email because you have attended a program (or more) hosted by the Meat Science Section of the Department of Animal Science at Texas A&M University.  We wanted to let you know that we have opened registration on our annual Creative Sausage Making course and would certainly welcome you to join us for the event!  The Creative Sausage Making course is taught by our Associate Department Head and Processed Meats expert, Dr. Wes Osburn along with a team of industry experts and our undergraduate and graduate students.  It includes some hands-on activities using equipment that you could use at home to make small batches of sausage, and you will have the opportunity to not only learn the science behind sausage manufacturing, but also to take your class project home to show off!

Registration for the course is handled through our online system never on campus (https://agriliferegister.tamu.edu/organizationListings/97) or by calling 979-845-2604.

A block of hotel rooms has been set up at the Holiday Inn, 2500 Earl Rudder Freeway South, College Station, TX 77840 (979-485-8300) or (https://www.holidayinn.com/redirect?path=hd&brandCode=HI&localeCode=en&regionCode=1&hotelCode=CLLSP&_PMID=99801505&GPC=CSM&viewfullsite=true).  ($95 - deadline for booking is 12/22/17).

If you can’t make it, but know someone who might be interested, please feel free to pass this along.

Thanks in advance for your continued support of the TAMU Meat Science Program!
    Formerly of Houston, TX - Now Located in Bastrop, TX
    I work in the 'que business now (since 2017)

6 Eggs: (1) XL, (2) Large, (1) Small, (1) Minimax & (1) Mini - Egging since 2007
    Also recently gained: (1) Gas Thing (came with the house), (1) 36" Blackstone Griddle & (1) Pitts & Spitts Pellet Smoker
  • lkapigian
    ^^^^^is tempting^^^^^^^ 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • lkapigian said:

@The Cen-Tex Smoker Was looking for a true East Texas Hot Link like like Docs and a few others I have seen, no real luck but they seem to be most if not all beef, fat content appears extremely high, lots of heat and probably a ton of Paprika to give it that color and appears to be a loose bind..Also the way that are cooked seems different, looks like they are smoked and then "poached"........Am I close?
    pink salt and smoke will get it pretty red. Those sausages hanging in the fridge turned very red once smoked.

East TX is definitely more pork-centric than Central and south texas bbq. I don't get over there much but I'll snoop around and see what I can find. 
  • 20stone
    lkapigian said:
    .... Was looking for a true East Texas Hot Link like like Docs and a few others I have seen, no real luck but they seem to be most if not all beef, fat content appears extremely high, lots of heat and probably a ton of Paprika to give it that color and appears to be a loose bind..Also the way that are cooked seems different, looks like they are smoked and then "poached"........Am I close?
    I think I have what you are looking for:

Red Hot (Andrew V)
    (quantities in percentages of meat weight)

Pork (70/30) - 100%
    Kosher salt - 1.4% (for my taste, at least)
    Cure 1 - 0.25%
    cayenne - 0.50%
    hot sauce - 3.00%
    mustard powder - 0.50%
    black pepper - 0.25%
    pimenton - 0.50%
    white vinegar - 2.00%

I do not recall whether we smoked them, but expect we did.  Let us know how it goes
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove

Austin, TX
  • lkapigian
    20stone said:
    lkapigian said:
    .... Was looking for a true East Texas Hot Link like like Docs and a few others I have seen, no real luck but they seem to be most if not all beef, fat content appears extremely high, lots of heat and probably a ton of Paprika to give it that color and appears to be a loose bind..Also the way that are cooked seems different, looks like they are smoked and then "poached"........Am I close?

Red Hot (Andrew V)

Pork (70/30) - 100%
    Cure 1 - 0.25%
    cayenne - 0.50%
    hot sauce - 3.00%
    mustard powder - 0.50%
    black pepper - 0.25%
    pimenton - 0.50%
    white vinegar - 2.00%

I do not recall whether we smoked them, but expect we did.  Let us know how it goes
    Thanks @20stone
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • 20stone said:
    lkapigian said:

Red Hot (Andrew V)

Pork (70/30) - 100%
    Cure 1 - 0.25%
    cayenne - 0.50%
    hot sauce - 3.00%
    mustard powder - 0.50%
    black pepper - 0.25%
    pimenton - 0.50%
    white vinegar - 2.00%

We did. I didn't love these. Nothing bad about them but were kind of "meh" compared to some of the others we did. Kind of like the fermented italian we did. These were very similar to a few others and needed the heat and flavors amped up big time

• 20stone
    20stone said:
    lkapigian said:

Red Hot (Andrew V)

Pork (70/30) - 100%
    Cure 1 - 0.25%
    cayenne - 0.50%
    hot sauce - 3.00%
    mustard powder - 0.50%
    black pepper - 0.25%
    pimenton - 0.50%
    white vinegar - 2.00%

We did. I didn't love these. Nothing bad about them but were kind of "meh" compared to some of the others we did. Kind of like the fermented italian we did. These were very similar to a few others and needed the heat and flavors amped up big time

I would think subbing roasted fresh peppers (of various stripes) for some of the cayenne would be a strong move.  Perhaps some habs or serranos would be nice.
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove

Austin, TX
  • caliking
    20stone said:
    20stone said:
    lkapigian said:

Red Hot (Andrew V)

Pork (70/30) - 100%
    Cure 1 - 0.25%
    cayenne - 0.50%
    hot sauce - 3.00%
    mustard powder - 0.50%
    black pepper - 0.25%
    pimenton - 0.50%
    white vinegar - 2.00%

I would think subbing roasted fresh peppers (of various stripes) for some of the cayenne would be a strong move.  Perhaps some habs or serranos would be nice.
    I vote for habs and/or pequin chiles.

• 20stone
    caliking said:
    20stone said:
    20stone said:
    lkapigian said:

Red Hot (Andrew V)

Pork (70/30) - 100%
    Cure 1 - 0.25%
    cayenne - 0.50%
    hot sauce - 3.00%
    mustard powder - 0.50%
    black pepper - 0.25%
    pimenton - 0.50%
    white vinegar - 2.00%

I vote for habs and/or pequin chiles.
    I'm not even done with AW/SS3 (still some brisket missiles and Genoa salami to case and smoke/hang), and the recipes are aswirlin'.

Agreed on the pequins, but I want to mix it up vis a vis the jabs.  We already have them going in the TX Beef and the Tejas.
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove

Austin, TX
  • westernbbq

I never knew that..,thanks mucho for sharing @The Cen-Tex Smoker....

Being from wisconsin, I have run into folks who didnt know bratwurst contained pork AND veal....

Just made a batch last week which was incredible.....
  • lkapigian

Irish Pork Sausage--Did this on St Patrick's Day--I was hesitant, but have to say this was some of the best sausage I have had, Bangers and Mash was Killer

• 1.8kg Pork shoulder, deboned, skin off
    • 1 Egg white
    • 125ml Guinness draught beer
    • 70g Dry bread crumbs
    • 40g Fine non-iodized salt
    • 15ml Ground black pepper
    • 10ml Dried marjoram
    • 5ml Ground Nutmeg
    • 2.5ml Dried Thyme
    • 2.5ml Dried Rosemary
    • 100-125ml Iced water

Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    lkapigian said:

Irish Pork Sausage--Did this on St Patrick's Day--I was hesitant, but have to say this was some of the best sausage I have had, Bangers and Mash was Killer

• 1.8kg Pork shoulder, deboned, skin off
    • 1 Egg white
    • 125ml Guinness draught beer
    • 70g Dry bread crumbs
    • 40g Fine non-iodized salt
    • 15ml Ground black pepper
    • 10ml Dried marjoram
    • 5ml Ground Nutmeg
    • 2.5ml Dried Thyme
    • 2.5ml Dried Rosemary
    • 100-125ml Iced water

Fvcking brilliant!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • I was very excited when @20stone posted this around Christmas. I was then disappointed in the lack of responses(me included). I knew the attached receipe but couldn't find the original paper that it came from and wanted to post the original receipe card. Well I finally found it so here it is.  This is a friend of mines brothers receipe and I have made it probably 20 times and always have had rave reviews.  I think the key to the success of this receipe is the steeping of the fennel.  

@20stone if your offer of the spreadsheet is still on the table I would love to get a copy of your spreadsheet. I can pm you with my email or do it however you want .
    South Buffalo, New York
  • I was very excited when @20stone posted this around Christmas. I was then disappointed in the lack of responses(me included). I knew the attached receipe but couldn't find the original paper that it came from and wanted to post the original receipe card. Well I finally found it so here it is.  This is a friend of mines brothers receipe and I have made it probably 20 times and always have had rave reviews.  I think the key to the success of this receipe is the steeping of the fennel.  

@20stone if your offer of the spreadsheet is still on the table I would love to get a copy of your spreadsheet. I can pm you with my email or do it however you want .
    Aw hell yes. Nice! 
  • lkapigian
    Thanks @BUFFALOMOOSE for sharing 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • caliking
    @BUFFALOMOOSE - thanks for posting that recipe. I'm a big fan of fennel in sausage.

Do you know if the pork in this recipe includes 20% by weight of back fat mixed in and ground, or is it just straight meat?