Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wild Yeast

Comments

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited October 2017
    Started new loaves on Wednesday. Projected to bake either late Friday or early Saturday.
    The beginning.... 88% hydration. 20% Whole Grain Spelt. 20% Rye. 60% KABF w/ 120g levain.  Fresh ground Himalayan pink salt and fresh ground sea salt. 

LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    88% is pretty bold, even with the flour mix you are using.  Can't wait to see how it turns out.
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Standing by...
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • NPHuskerFL
    20stone said:
    88% is pretty bold, even with the flour mix you are using.  Can't wait to see how it turns out.
    Agreed. I did a few sets of slap and folds and then it went into the cooler for a long cold bulk. I'll remove it from the cooler today after work. Divide. Pre- shape. Shape. Place into individual bannetons and back into the cooler until it's time to bake.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • SciAggie
    @NPHuskerFL Is the cold bulk for convenience around your schedule or do you have another reason?
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • NPHuskerFL
    SciAggie said:
    @NPHuskerFL Is the cold bulk for convenience around your schedule or do you have another reason?
    Mostly convenience. But, I've found a long cold bulk with more gentle stretch and folds and cold proof yields better gluten structure, flavor and crumb. That said, I've never used this recipe formula so the end result may be different. But, my gut tells me it'll be good. The dough has nice body and a good stretch. We shall see. 

LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • SciAggie
    @NPHuskerFL How far do allow bulk fermentation to progress? What I mean is do you allow a 20% rise? 30%, 50%? This is something I'm playing with at the moment.
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • NPHuskerFL
    @SciAggie I'm not that sophisticated my friend. But, with the amount of levain I'm using after 48hrs cold bulk I'd guess 50% rise. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • SciAggie
    I'm not so sure I'm sophisticated, lol. I have had issues with over proofing in the past. That will sure ruin your day...
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    @NPHuskerFL I've tried a similar mix before and really liked it. Not that level of hydration though :)

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    This week's effort. Better crust. 45% KABF, 45% KAWW, 10% KAAP. 

• SciAggie
    @theyolksonyou Nice oven spring. I bet it tastes great. 
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • caliking
    This week's effort. Better crust. 45% KABF, 45% KAWW, 10% KAAP. 

Get some butter on that. Stat! :)

• caliking
    I've been messing with adding seeds , and came back somewhat inspired from BCIV. 

Flax, pumpkin seeds, 45% whole wheat. I forgot the hydration. Cold bulk rise x 24hrs, proof in the fridge x 18hrs or so. No sliced pic since I gave these to friends. 

What's the story with seeds? I tried soaking some chia seeds, but they became a gooey mess, so pitched them. Flax seeds also became somewhat slimy, but were salvageable after I rinsed them .

I'm tempted to add them without soaking next time , and see if they really steal that much hydration from the dough .

• 20stone
    @20spawn3 has taken his goo and put it to work in SF.  He's turning out some pretty good stuff. 

(now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove

Austin, TX
  • caliking
    The boy got skilz. It took me a while to get a loaf to turn out that well.

• NPHuskerFL
    @20stone impressive especially if he's new at this. Nice! :plus_one:
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • SciAggie
    That's a nice loaf.
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • NPHuskerFL
    A lil sumptin different y'all. Sourdough with pumpkin puree. 

LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • NPHuskerFL
    edited November 2017
    These were from my last previous dough. Slightly over proofed but, they were still decent. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • NPHuskerFL
    edited November 2017
    Thanks 4 looking. These are the pumpkin puree hydrated loaves. Not too shabby. 

LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • 20stone
    Those are great looking books. 
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove

Austin, TX
  • NPHuskerFL
    @20stone Thanks buddy
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,410
    This thread should receive some sort of recognition for staying on topic.  With 85 unread comments, I expected shenanigans. 

Love the pics guys.  I need to get in the bread game. 
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • SciAggie
    That pumpkin puree boule is spectacular. I want some. 
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • caliking
    Awesome loaves! Did you use only the pumpkin puree to hydrate the flour, or did you add some water as well?

• SciAggie
    Might as well tell us how you did it. @caliking and I both want to know :)

Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • 20stone
    20stone said:
    Those are great looking books. 
    Friggin' autocorrect on my phone - I meant boules.
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove

Austin, TX
  • NPHuskerFL
    caliking said:
    Awesome loaves! Did you use only the pumpkin puree to hydrate the flour, or did you add some water as well?

SciAggie said:
    Might as well tell us how you did it. @caliking and I both want to know :)

150g fed levain
    1-15oz or 16oz can pure pumpkin puree.
    800g KABF + more for bench shaping 
    Cold water
    Pumpkin Pie Spice 2g
    Kosher Salt 12g

Process
    Let me begin by saying I did zero research on this. This was more or less a fly by the seat of my pants type of sourdough.  
    In a large mixing bowl add flour & pumpkin spice and mix in. Next add 100% pure pumpkin puree.  I mixed by hand and with sourdough rarely do I use my KA. I prefer my hands because I can feel what's going on. But, I guess you can do whatever you're accustomed to doing.  As you mix it'll begin to come together  but, it will be somewhat crumbly. Add in 150g levain and mix in. Cover with a damp tea towel for about 45 minutes. Uncover & do a few sets of folds and cover again for about 45 minutes. Now take the same can from the puree and fill it up 1/3 water and 12g kosher salt and allow the salt to dissolve. You can add more water if you prefer more hydration. Pour this into the mixing bowl and work it in. Cover 45 minutes. One more set of folds and then cling wrap and place into cooler.

The next morning divide the mass into 2 equal portions. Preshape each. Bench rest. Final shaping. I use a mix of APF & Rice Flour In my bannetons both boule and batard. Cover each loaf in its respective banneton and cover securely but loosely with a shower cap or cling wrap. Place into cooler overnight. 

The next morning check the loaves to ensure they've proofed. Mine were almost there but, not quite. So I pulled them out of the cooler while I setup the egg, had my coffee and then they were good to go.  Preheat the egg or oven to 450-500F with either a CI combo cooker or DO. Place your scored loaf in and bake with lid on for 20-25 minutes. Remove lid and bake additional "x" minutes (I went 12 minutes on one and 15 on the other).  
    I didn't use parchment on these loaves. And I typically don't on sourdough.  However, if I were doing this exact bread again I probably would because it'll help avoid scorching the bottom. Mine didn't scorch but, it was just on the cusp. 

Hope this helps.

LBGE 2013 & MM 2014