Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - What are you doing right now?

Options

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    Options
    I would hammer that right off the cutting board.  Great result.  Congrats.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    Jeremiah said:
    @bucky925 yeah the wallet is fully worn out, will take some time to recover. But that's life, right?!

That's why we work right? 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    blasting said:

Short on time, I suppose I could have gone to McDonalds.

Much wisdom in your decision to tough it out at home!  #lordamercy
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Just ordered a stand mixer on Rue la la.  Damn internet.  

Also, good price. 
  • lousubcap
    Options
    Da-n @WeberWho , now that's having fun with the sticks.  Great looking groceries.  You musta been running hot to get that shoulder finished in reasonable time. Nailed those ribs-they won't be around for long.  
    Splitting and drying the fuel is the price you pay (or enjoyment you get) with the sticks.  Congrats.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    WeberWho said:

That is one killer plate.  I'd say you've definitely got the hang of your new toy.
    Phoenix 
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    Think I'm giving up on the sous vide thing. Neither the wife or myself likes the food that it makes. Wings, chicken breadt, tri tip, and now strips. All seem rubbery if that even makes sense. Steaks look good right? Perfect pink inside too. They sucked asss.
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    That’s too bad @Jeremiah
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options

blasting said:

Short on time, I suppose I could have gone to McDonalds.

I’m positive that was a million times better than anything at McDonalds. Looks wonderful!
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • lousubcap
    edited October 2017
    Options
    @Jeremiah - Props for providing your opinion that is definitely swimming against the current.  I have been hesitant to get into the sous vide cooking deal as I have not found (at least thru the forum) any true value add (with the exception of @JohnInCarolina 's pots de creme).   Time to declare victory, offer the rig up for salvage value and move on.
    Edit: Beer in a glass beats wine in a box any day  ;) 
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    Jeremiah said:
    Think I'm giving up on the sous vide thing. Neither the wife or myself likes the food that it makes. Wings, chicken breadt, tri tip, and now strips. All seem rubbery if that even makes sense. Steaks look good right? Perfect pink inside too. They sucked asss.
    Quitter
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    Da-n @WeberWho , now that's having fun with the sticks.  Great looking groceries.  You musta been running hot to get that shoulder finished in reasonable time. Nailed those ribs-they won't be around for long.  
    Splitting and drying the fuel is the price you pay (or enjoyment you get) with the sticks.  Congrats.
    Thanks! The shoulder was quick. I anticipated the shoulder to be done around 6. Thermapen was reading 195-200 around 3pm. My brain is set to BGE time. The previous owners said, "Good luck finding a brisket in the state on MN that will make it as good as this smoker does. Eight hours and you'll have the best brisket you've ever had." I didn't take anything out of the statement other than, "Eight hour brisket". I asked how that was even possible. He said with these reverse flow offsets that you want to run them higher around 300-325 when doing brisket. Which works for me. I'll skip the all night cooks. I ran 250-275 with the smoker today. Whole different ball game with smoking and timing I've come to find out. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • jeffwit
    jeffwit Posts: 1,348
    Options
    I’m with @Jeremiah. I really haven’t liked anything I’ve made in the SV. I’ve done steaks, chicken, chuck roast. The texture is just off somehow. The best thing I’ve done was a rack of lamb that I finished in a cast iron skillet on the stove. I find I like what I get off the egg better. I’m keeping it, though. Gotta try JIC’s chocolate pots. 
    Jefferson, GA
    XL BGE, MM, Things to flip meat over and stuff
    Wife, 3 kids, 5 dogs, 4 cats, 12 chickens, 2 goats, 2 pigs. 
    “Honey, we bought a farm.”
  • Jeremiah
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    @Jeremiah - Props for providing your opinion that is definitely swimming against the current.  I have been hesitant to get into the sous vide cooking deal as I have not found (at least thru the forum) any true value add (with the exception of @JohnInCarolina 's pots de creme).   Time to declare victory, offer the rig up for salvage value and move on.
    Edit: Beer in a glass beats wine in a box any day  ;) 
    Yeah johns pots were pretty awesome. I should
    add, the sous vide is awesome for reheating food saver'd meat like pulled pork. 
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    Carrots, sweet potatoes, yes, steaks and pots are regulars in the SV. Really worth having just to warm leftovers. 
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    How long and what temps are you guys doing rubbery steak?  Sounds like maybe too long. 
  • jeffwit
    jeffwit Posts: 1,348
    Options
    How long and what temps are you guys doing rubbery steak?  Sounds like maybe too long. 
    It’s been quite a while since I tried steaks in the SV , cause the wife said don’t do it that way again. But I’m sure I followed the directions from a reputable website, not a Russian one. 
    Jefferson, GA
    XL BGE, MM, Things to flip meat over and stuff
    Wife, 3 kids, 5 dogs, 4 cats, 12 chickens, 2 goats, 2 pigs. 
    “Honey, we bought a farm.”
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    I don’t like steaks other than Tri-tips in SV. Chicken, poke chops and various veggies are fantastic. And Chocolate pot de creme is amazing. 
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    Options
    blasting said:
    That is one killer plate.  I'd say you've definitely got the hang of your new toy.
    Thanks! Today felt good. Temps stayed steady and the fire was rocking. I believe the dried wood that has been stored in my shed for years helped. My other main smoke wood has been dried for a year plus and works but the wood today was premium. It was all cherry. I did miss the oak flavor though. Enjoyable though nontheless 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Those jerk chicken wings at Brisket Camp (and at Butt Blast) were SV wings.  I’m just sayin...
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • bgebrent
    Options
    Those jerk chicken wings at Brisket Camp (and at Butt Blast) were SV wings.  I’m just sayin...
    Outstanding both times. 
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    jeffwit said:
    It’s been quite a while since I tried steaks in the SV , cause the wife said don’t do it that way again. But I’m sure I followed the directions from a reputable website, not a Russian one. 
    If it's the fact you miss the fire taste, that's one thing. If it's a texture issue, I'd bet it's a time/temp issue. 
  • Jeremiah
    Options
    jeffwit said:
    If it's the fact you miss the fire taste, that's one thing. If it's a texture issue, I'd bet it's a time/temp issue. 
    Oh I'm pretty positive I'm screwing this up somehow. #thatswhatido #imadumbass
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Jeremiah said:
    jeffwit said:
    We’ll set you straight man if you’re up for giving it another go.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • bgebrent
    Options
    Jeremiah said:
    jeffwit said:
    Jeremiah,
    give it a few more shots.  You're a great cook and just need to figure some tweaks brother.
  • Jeremiah
    Options
    Tonight's steaks were in the water for 1.5 hours at 133 degrees, then seared on the egg. 
  • Jeremiah
    Options
    Thanks Brent and John, I think we'll stick to fire
    for now, and leave the water for the leftovers.