Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT- Hug Your Family Every Chance You Get -OT

Options
Hotch
Hotch Posts: 3,564
This past week has been horrific for our family my sister Tina specifically and her family. It all started about a year ago when her ex-husband had an aneurysm on his brain stem. He was around 60 or so at the time. His health had deteriorated and eventually could no longer take care of himself and my sister (Tina), brought him in to her home to care for him. Both of their sons, Chris and Nick, would also be there with Tina to care for him. A short while back he got to where they could not provide the care he needed as he was slowly getting worse every day. He then had to go into a nursing home for hospice care.

Then this past Wednesday, 10-4, Chris and his wife were sitting at home watching TV. She had gone upstairs for just a minute or two and when she returned downstairs Chris was non responsive, he had just suddenly passed away. Chris, my nephew, was only 35 with two young kids (2 and 7) and a wonderful wife. He previously had survived an aortic aneurysm (4 years ago) after having to have a very complicated surgery and recovery. He was unable to obtain life insurance and like most young folks lived paycheck to paycheck.

To make matters even more devastating, a day or so after my nephew Chris’s passing his Dad was told of his death. Later that evening Brian, (his Dad), had a seizure and passed away. These two were very close.

I am telling of this horrific week because as we all know, you have no guarantees of tomorrow. We, my brother and sisters, as a family have not been close since leaving the nest so to speak. It’s just how things worked out. But this brings to the surface how important time with family should be.  I for one will try to do better.  So, even if the connection/communication is sparse, make the effort.  Pick up the phone and call them, send an email or give them a hug.

I have never asked someone to help, and it is difficult for me to do so, but I believe this set of circumstances warrant it.
If you would like to help please do so by a donation of any amount to Chris's family at:

https://www.gofundme.com/help-support-the-neal-family

Thanks for support,
Hotch
Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
BGE Chiminea
Prosper, TX

Comments

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Sad story @Hotch. Will donate. 
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Yikes that's all tough stuff right there.  Really sorry for your loss.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    So young. So sad. Donation made. 
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    I'm not home tonight, but when I make back I will gladly donate my friend. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Very sorry. I truly feel your pain.Be strong.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,171
    Options
    Terribly sorry for your loss. 
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Dang!  Very sad story one that I know too well. Agreed there is no guarantee of a tomorrow. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Hotch
    Options
    Thanks so much guys. I really appreciate it.
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Sorry for this difficult time in your life. Appreciate the reminder. Reached out to my son and daughter this evening.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Options
    This is sad. very sorry for this report. 

My family has been pretty lucky so far. Lost my Mom last year. but other than that we are intact.

We're all one phone call away from a different world.
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    The time we all have is short.  Every day is a gift.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • FATC1TY
    FATC1TY Posts: 888
    Options
    Looks like I need to make some calls tomorrow on my way home from work tomorrow....

prayers set @Hotch
    -FATC1TY
    Grillin' and Brewing in Atlanta
    LBGE
    MiniMax
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    Tragic for your family and all who loved the ones you’ve lost. My sincerest condolences. It speaks volumes that in your time of sadness you take a moment to think of others, to remind us to treasure our moments with our loved ones. God bless you and your family. 
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,467
    Options
    Damn Hotch; too much, too close together.  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,759
    Options
    Peace Be with you ...life is fragile 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

That's rough, all the best.  

Phoenix 
  • mEGG_My_Day
    mEGG_My_Day Posts: 1,653
    Options
    Dang - that is aweful.  I will send prayers your way.

My wife had a brain aneurysm bleed about 20 years ago.  She survived after brain surgery and a month in ICU.

We have lived a different life since - try to enjoy every day 
    Memphis, TN 

LBGE, 2 SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet
  • texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    Options
    Man that's tough stuff. I'm really sorry for you and your family's loss. Yall will be in my thoughts and my prayers. 

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    Lost my Mother at 16 to an aneurysm. She died 2 days before her 46th Birthday. Miss her. 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• six_egg
    six_egg Posts: 1,110
    Options
    @Hotch I am so sorry to hear about the lost loved ones in your life. Prayers.  

XLBGE, LBGE 

Fernandina Beach, FL

• Dredger
    Dredger Posts: 1,468
    Options
    So sorry for you and your family. This is just horrible. Thoughts and prayers sent your way. Donation made.
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Options
    So sorry for your family Hotch, just this last week I started to reconnect with a family member. Jim

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• EggObsessed
    Options
    We are sure thinking of your family, Hotch.  This is a definite wake-up call not to take any days or anyone for granted.  Donation made.
    Kelley 
    Egging with No Joke Smoke (Bruce), enjoying small town life in Brenham, TX., the home of Blue Bell Ice Cream.  BGEs: XL, Medium,  1 MiniMax. 36" CookRite Commercial Griddle, and a Shirley Smoker.
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    Good vybz sent.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Zeiger88
    Zeiger88 Posts: 171
    Options
    Very sad sorry for your loss 
    BGE XL June 2017 Flameboss 300 February 2018 Mini max July 2018 Lima, Ohio 
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    That is a lot for one family, so sorry for your loss. Stay strong.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Hotch
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your prayers and support. 
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • EggObsessed
    Options
    Keeping your family in our thoughts and prayers.
    Kelley 
    Egging with No Joke Smoke (Bruce), enjoying small town life in Brenham, TX., the home of Blue Bell Ice Cream.  BGEs: XL, Medium,  1 MiniMax. 36" CookRite Commercial Griddle, and a Shirley Smoker.
  • Hotch
    Options
    Thank you Kelley.
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    Life can be so freaking brutal sometimes. Just take it one day at a time. God Bless. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA