Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wild Yeast

Comments

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    I am inspired. I am doing bread.
    Buying a medium.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    YukonRon said:
    Buying a medium.
    Or you could build a wood oven...
    Just trying to be a friend here. Helping you see the other options available to you. 
    Bwaaa Haaa ha ha ha....
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    SciAggie said:
    YukonRon said:
    Buying a medium.
    Or you could build a wood oven...
    Just trying to be a friend here. Helping you see the other options available to you. 
    Bwaaa Haaa ha ha ha....
    Keeping me broke. I have My Beautiful Wife doing a fine job with that. Now my friends are joining the process.
    I am doomed.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • NPHuskerFL
    Sourdough. 20% Organic Whole Grain Rye, 88% hydration with a 48hr cold proof. 

Sliced up one loaf for home. And sliced up one and brought to work this morning for everyone to try with some Nutella. Thanks for looking. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    Sourdough. 20% Organic Whole Grain Rye, 88% hydration with a 48hr cold proof. 
    Are you proofing based on time or on rise?

I am going to give this a go tonight + a soaker of seeds (including caraway) to go with some pastrami we happen to have lying around.
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX
  • NPHuskerFL
    edited September 2017
    @20stone I've done both extended bulk ferment cold 33F-40F and warm (indoor ambient at roughly 70F-74F) and same on proofing. This particular loaf I used less levain...about 75g-80g instead of say 100g-200g. Based on rise. Cold fermenting and proofing just allows for wiggle room in the rise factor in case I get busy. But it also gives the dough time to develop structure and deeper more pronounced flavor. When I do bulk ferment in the cooler I pull it out every now and again and do some folds. Extended fermenting versus extended proofing didn't give any discernible flavor or oven spring. Flavor and crumb I definitely see a difference when it is given more time to rise in a cold environment. I think giving more sets of stretching and folding give me a better open crumb. I've used caraway seeds several times and in my experience less is better.  I used dry caraway seeds and just folded them into the dough. It has a nice flavor profile but, if there are too many it can definitely be overpowering.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • 20stone
    @20stone I've done both extended bulk ferment cold 33F-40F and warm (indoor ambient at roughly 70F-74F) and same on proofing. This particular loaf I used less levain...about 75g-80g instead of say 100g-200g. Based on rise. Cold fermenting and proofing just allows for wiggle room in the rise factor in case I get busy. But it also gives the dough time to develop structure and deeper more pronounced flavor. When I do bulk ferment in the cooler I pull it out every now and again and do some folds. Extended fermenting versus extended proofing didn't give any discernible flavor or oven spring. Flavor and crumb I definitely see a difference when it is given more time to rise in a cold environment. I think giving more sets of stretching and folding give me a better open crumb. I've used caraway seeds several times and in my experience less is better.  I used dry caraway seeds and just folded them into the dough. It has a nice flavor profile but, if there are too many it can definitely be overpowering.
    Thanks for the feedback.  A couple of follow ups:
    • If I am reading this right, you are doing your bulk rise cold, and folding along the way.  The normal "no knead" approach has  3 -4 folds in the first hour or so, and then nothing after that.  For the long bulk rise, are you folding every several hours?
    • You mentioned a cold proof as well.  I am anticipating levain today, mix dough this evening and bulk rise in the fridge.  Shape tomorrow night?  If so, I'd be tempted to final proof on the counter so I can bake Wed AM.  Does that timing make sense?
    • Re caraway and other seeds, I understand that doing a soaker keeps the seeds (if you use a lot of them) from screwing up your hydration.  We may be going a little heavier handed than we normally would, as this is going straight into Rueben production
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove

Austin, TX
  • NPHuskerFL
    @20stone Didn't notice the notification until now. Eating supper and then I'll respond. Here's a crumb shot from each of these loaves. Both looked identical on the crumb structure imho. 

LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    @20stone Didn't notice the notification until now. Eating supper and then I'll respond. Here's a crumb shot from each of these loaves. Both looked identical on the crumb structure imho. 

Your bread never disappoints. I've got a loaf in the oven as we speak.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • NPHuskerFL
    Thanks @caliking
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • NPHuskerFL
    @20stone
    I have nothing etched in stone. I'm experienced but, no expert. My knowledge is both reading and doing but, mostly trial and error. I do my best at documenting  each loaf  and its outcome.  I find this helps me. Error equates to a fail for me and happy birds and wildlife. Lately, knock on wood, I've had no sourdough bird feed. :smile:

·Bulk ferment cold or an ambient room. Folds every 30-60 minutes for however long you want. Meaning do however many sets of stretch and folds or slap and folds you like. Looking for gluten development. Then cover for the bulk ferment and leave. 

·Bulk should roughly double in size or at least close to it. Then I typically remove it from the cooler, let it warm up a bit and then do a couple of stretch and folds.  Next divide into two equal parts. Obviously all steps can be done at room ambient as well as in a cooler (refrigerator). Next I preshape, bench rest, final shape and place into a banneton. If you're using a brotform, I prefer using a 50/50 mix of APF or BF and rice flour to coat the  boule or batard. Clearly you do not need to use a banneton if you don't have one. 
    Yes, the timing makes sense. Obviously you know the finger test as far as knowing when the dough is ready to bake. It's kind of like a brisket in the respect that it's ready when it's ready.

In respect to the seeds, I don't think you'll drastically sway hydration. That'll be a stellar Ruben!  I did this about 8 months ago but for the life of me can't remember what seeds I put in the dough besides caraway. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • 20stone
    Thanks for the tips. I am still getting my feel of it.

Giving another a go tonight w 20% rye, 15% WW and the rest AP, plus some caraway for pastrami duty. 

I thought about going with the cold bulk rise, but realized I'm getting on a plane tomorrow night, so, maybe I need to go faster. @20stonespice got the levain rocking earlier, and I mixed it up around 8p. Into bannetons in the AM, and hopefully we'll have pretty boules before I jet.
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove

Austin, TX
  • 20stone

Preshaped

First loaf out.  My lame game is lame.

Pics of a slice, and more Rueben to come. 
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove

Austin, TX
  • caliking
    That's a beaut!

• caliking
    Last night's loaf. Whole wheat starter, spelt, sprouted wheat flour, BF. Overnight proof.  Baked in a loaf pan because I'm shooting for sourdough sandwich bread. 

I may need to use a bigger loaf pan though.

• 20stone

Now I just need to get off my call and go eat!
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove

Austin, TX
  • 20stone
    One last one, 'cus it was sooo tasty. 

(now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove

Austin, TX
  • NPHuskerFL
    @20stone That crust color is fantastic! :clap: Oven or BGE baked?  What was your base flour?

@caliking Dig the loaf pan loaf man :plus_one:
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • 20stone
    edited September 2017
    @20stone That crust color is fantastic! :clap: Oven or BGE baked?  What was your base flour?
    Thanks. They were cooked in the oven in a Dutch oven. 

The flours are:
    - 675g - KA AP (incl that in the 250g of levain)
    - 200g - Whole Foods bulk whole rye flour
    - 125g - WW home ground winter wheat (ground by one of my sisters in her home)

frisky starter (KA AP)
    12 hour bulk
    4ish hour proof

I'm very happy with how they turned out, particularly after the Josey seed recipe debacle. 
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove

Austin, TX
  • 20stone
    Legume said:
    Enough with the voices, already. I'm still trying to find a place to put the dairy cow. 
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove

Austin, TX
  • EggDan
    EggDan Posts: 174
    Very helpful post everyone. I am a few months in to my starter and it seems to be more robust every time I use it.

I have only used a Dutch Oven for baking bread. I score and spritz the dough with water and I get a pretty good oven spring. I also preheat the DO for 25 minutes at 500, then reduce the oven to 475. Covered for 20 minutes and about 15 minutes uncovered.  

Does anyone else use a similar temp and timing in the Dutch Oven? I now cook to color vs internal temp. 
  • 20stone
    EggDan said:
    Does anyone else use a similar temp and timing in the Dutch Oven? I now cook to color vs internal temp. 
    We do 475F, 30 w lid and then lid off until done (by smell as well).  We don't spritz, but may give it a try.
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove

Austin, TX
  • NPHuskerFL
    @EggDan Preheat egg or oven to 500-550 with CI DO for about 20+ minutes. I use a DO with a flat lid. I find it easier to flip ìt upside down using the lid as the bottom and vice versa. It's much easier to turn out the loaf on to the lid, score the loaf, place the bottom over the lid and then place into your oven or egg. Yes, a quick spritz does help with spring but not completely necessary on a high hydration dough especially in a DO. The spritz definitely comes into play when using just a stone. As soon as I place the DO in I dial it in to 500. After 20 minutes remove the top or DO lid and then go for another 15-25 minutes at 425-450 (color more than IT)  
    Some adjustments to temp and overall process are made using the egg but, relatively the same. Likewise I do some tweaks when I use a stone in lieu of a DO. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • 20stone
    @EggDan Preheat egg or oven to 500-550 with CI DO for about 20+ minutes. I use a DO with a flat lid. I find it easier to flip ìt upside down using the lid as the bottom and vice versa. It's much easier to turn out the loaf on to the lid, score the loaf, place the bottom over the lid and then place into your oven or egg. 
    Nice trick!  I may grab another DO with a flat lid just for that purpose.  My "quickly flip a banneton over into the DO where it gets stuck.  Use fingernails to pull it back out.  Hope it's not in there too crooked" method is not nearly as smooth
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove

Austin, TX
  • NPHuskerFL
    edited September 2017
    @20stone Thanks man! And I'd love to fib and say I did it this way from day one. However, after turning out batards that stick slightly and then fall sideways into the blazing hot DO & not to mention burning the hell out of my hands trying to get decent scoring game with a lame or even with the razor out of the lame. I was about at my wits end and all ready to buy a cast iron combo cooker and realized I could just do the old fliparoo. It works great and I use the mess out of this 5-quart Lodge DO our Son gave me as a gift a few Christmases ago. What's more as I can use the lid on several other pans and I can use it in the Mini Max as a makeshift set up.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • caliking
    edited September 2017
    20stone said:
    @EggDan Preheat egg or oven to 500-550 with CI DO for about 20+ minutes. I use a DO with a flat lid. I find it easier to flip ìt upside down using the lid as the bottom and vice versa. It's much easier to turn out the loaf on to the lid, score the loaf, place the bottom over the lid and then place into your oven or egg. 
    Nice trick!  I may grab another DO with a flat lid just for that purpose.  My "quickly flip a banneton over into the DO where it gets stuck.  Use fingernails to pull it back out.  Hope it's not in there too crooked" method is not nearly as smooth
    I got tired of playing that game too. 

An easy method that works for me is:
    - When you're ready to bake, place a piece of parchment over the dough while its still in the banneton.
    - place a plate over the paper
    - grab the banneton and plate, and invert.
    - lift the banneton off and score the dough.
    - transfer dough to hot DO by using the parchment as a sling. Adjust as needed. 
    - Bake!

I spritz water behind the pleats of parchment paper once its in the DO (between paper and the wall of the DO). Gives that burst of steam, and  helps to keep the banneton rings nice and pretty looking. And the bottom crust is not adversely affected in any way by using the paper. 

I bake in this  5qt combo cooker because I thought i would use the lid on the egg. Haven't done that yet. So now I kinda wish i had bought the combo cooker with the longer handle, as it would be easier to maneuver.

• EggDan
    EggDan Posts: 174
    Thanks for the information. Any benefit of going true Cast Iron Dutch Oven vs an Enameled Dutch Oven? I’m assuming no, but thought I would ask anyways.

Not sure if that Lodge is thicker. I typically use a Sams Club DO that I bought years ago vs my Le Crueset. 
  • NPHuskerFL
    EggDan said:
    Thanks for the information. Any benefit of going true Cast Iron Dutch Oven vs an Enameled Dutch Oven? I’m assuming no, but thought I would ask anyways.

Not sure if that Lodge is thicker. I typically use a Sams Club DO that I bought years ago vs my Le Crueset. 
    No unless it's for purist reasons. It's the same vessel with enameled finish. 

LBGE 2013 & MM 2014