Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT- Rotomolded Cooler Recommendation

Comments

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    1voyager said:
    The rotomolded coolers look, well, cool but I would like to ask respectful question. Please no flames. One can buy a Coleman for a tenth of the cost of a Yeti, RTC, Pelican. My 48 quart Coleman has 3 day ice retention. Why would a person pay 10X for a retooled cooler?
    Because people see ads of people spending more than 3 days in the wilderness and think: "that could be me!"
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,794
    1voyager said:
    The rotomolded coolers look, well, cool but I would like to ask respectful question. Please no flames. One can buy a Coleman for a tenth of the cost of a Yeti, RTC, Pelican. My 48 quart Coleman has 3 day ice retention. Why would a person pay 10X for a retooled cooler?
    I asked the same question. I realized that I didn't need one, but I could see how some people might (more than 3 days camping or on a boat or whatever).  

Then my wife got me one for Christmas - so I now own a Yeti 65.  (I'm told that I'm hard to buy gifts for - I suspect I'm not the only person on this forum who meets that criterion).

I'm going to pack it up for a two day BBQ competition in the Texas heat this weekend, but many lesser coolers would do just fine. 

I do use it as a weight bench.  So there's that. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• 1voyager
    1voyager Posts: 1,157
    Spell checker gremlin. Rotomolded. 
    Large Egg, PGS A40 gasser.
  • xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,110
    1voyager said:
    I got my small one because its HOT in the ATX in the summer and that cooler and simple frozen ice packs keeps things in the car cold for hours on end with no worry.  Other coolers need more ice/ packs to do the same thing. 

Do I still use my rolling Igloo- yes its easier to deal with but if I dont want to worry about keeping things cold then the Rotomolded coolers do exactly what they say.

XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    For fishermen, they don't hold fish smells and you can stand on them for better visibility when casting. 
  • 1voyager said:
    The rotomolded coolers look, well, cool but I would like to ask respectful question. Please no flames. One can buy a Coleman for a tenth of the cost of a Yeti, RTC, Pelican. My 48 quart Coleman has 3 day ice retention. Why would a person pay 10X for a retomolded cooler?

Why buy a $1200 green "BBQ grill" because it can smoke for 24hrs straight??    We buy it because we can, and then we buy even more when we can!  "Boys and their toys"  :)

I have a Coleman one from Costco that works for me, but I plan on buying a Pelican whenever they add wheels to the Elite series.  I don't need it, but I really like their company and know I'll enjoy the cooler.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,659
    1voyager said:
    i dont think ive ever bought a coleman cooler but over the years ive accumulated 7 or 8 that were abandoned by friends at my camp. i used them for bait in the winter and duck tape the lids down. spring and summer they dont stay cold enough to keep cold water smelt alive. engal bait coolers do and thats my main bait cooler now. no problems with ice builtup in winter inside with the engals verse colemans.  with the rtic i pack for the weekend, come home on monday and leave the leftovers in the truck and eat from it during the week, its cold 7 days a week with minimal ice. for the average weekend warrior theres probably no reason to upgrade, the rotomolds take time and ice to get cold, but keeping them cold continuously is alot easier
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    For fishermen, they don't hold fish smells and you can stand on them for better visibility when casting. 
    Being able to stand on it is an underrated factor in using it for camping too - much easier to get things into or out of the roof rack on our car.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• 1voyager
    Okay, now I get it. Being a weekend warrior, I see no need to buy one but they look really cool(er).
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    1voyager said:
    The rotomolded coolers look, well, cool but I would like to ask respectful question. Please no flames. One can buy a Coleman for a tenth of the cost of a Yeti, RTC, Pelican. My 48 quart Coleman has 3 day ice retention. Why would a person pay 10X for a retomolded cooler?
    If you have to ask then you don't need one. No disrespect intended.
    But if you put your 48 quart Coleman in @fishlessman boat or any other tough environment it would not last long. And you don't HAVE to pay 10x more for a good retomolded cooler if you buy RTIC, ORCA or Walmart brand.
    They are heavy and expensive and not everyone that has one uses them to their extreme, but it's nice to know you can. 
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Photo Egg
    1voyager said:
    Okay, now I get it. Being a weekend warrior, I see no need to buy one but they look really cool(er).
    Another overlooked advantage to the higher end coolers, they are safe for  Dry Ice use. Not to mention you can drop in a foiled pork butt and it won't warp the cooler.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • MattBTI
    MattBTI Posts: 417
    @1voyager, I get 5 days (full 24hr periods) of ice in my 65qt. This is with opening and closing for a couple days too. Our annual float trip would be a good example. This is is July/August in Oklahoma/Missouri. 

So for every $100 in ice bought to go in a coleman, I spend $40 and achieve the same result. Doesn't take too long to pay off. Plus it keeps things hot for a long time too. 

Pratt, KS
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Hotch said:

Pelican 50qt Big Green Egg Cooler ***Limited Edition***
    Our these still available?
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    edited September 2017
    1voyager said:
    The rotomolded coolers look, well, cool but I would like to ask respectful question. Please no flames. One can buy a Coleman for a tenth of the cost of a Yeti, RTC, Pelican. My 48 quart Coleman has 3 day ice retention. Why would a person pay 10X for a rotomolded cooler?
    Camping for longer periods of time. I also believe some camp sites require bear proof coolers before entry.

My Igloo fold down handle started to go to crap on my cooler after the first year of ownership. The bottom also developed a crack. The final dagger was when it flew out of my truck after tailgating with it. (My fault) I picked up an RTIC when they were on clearance. I don't necessarily need one but at the price they were selling them on clearance I picked one up. I really do enjoy the purchase. The biggest drawback is the weight of the 65. Not portable when loaded with goods. I really wish it had wheels. It's not so bad with a truck. Load and unload near the tailgate. The biggest appreciation is the divider and rack with the RTIC. They are both accessories that need to purchased additionally but are great to have. The divider helps keeping food and beverages seperate. The rack helps keep stuff from getting soggy in ice. (Cheese, eggs, etc.) Do I need this cooler? Probably not but I haven't regretted purchasing it. I should see many, many, years out of it.
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,410
    edited September 2017
  • YukonRon said:
    Cabella has one that looks very well designed and price compatible.
    I have the 60 quart Cabela's cooler on their wheel rack...great cooler.
    Parrish, FL

My Photo Website: www.ronwooldridgephotography.com

XL Big Green Egg
  • I have a variety of brands in the high end realm. If the goal is strictly to get in the game, check out the Grizzlies. If performance if your goal, Yeti it king. 
  • MattBTI
    +1 for Grizzlies, if I didn't own pelicans I would own grizzlies. 
    Pratt, KS
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    MattBTI said:
    @1voyager, I get 5 days (full 24hr periods) of ice in my 65qt. This is with opening and closing for a couple days too. Our annual float trip would be a good example. This is is July/August in Oklahoma/Missouri. 

So for every $100 in ice bought to go in a coleman, I spend $40 and achieve the same result. Doesn't take too long to pay off. Plus it keeps things hot for a long time too. 

Wow. $100 gets you 1000+ lbs of ice down here. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • MattBTI
    20lb costs about $5 at the liquor store down the street from me. 
    Pratt, KS
  • MattBTI
    $.25/lb. You can find it for closer to $.15/lb at walmarts. Not as good of ice there though in my opinion. I really like block ice that I can get from that liquor store. It's usually 2.50-3 for a 10lb block. Throw one in the bottom of the cooler and it really helps stretch it out!

Pratt, KS
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,323
    1voyager said:
    The rotomolded coolers look, well, cool but I would like to ask respectful question. Please no flames. One can buy a Coleman for a tenth of the cost of a Yeti, RTC, Pelican. My 48 quart Coleman has 3 day ice retention. Why would a person pay 10X for a rotomolded cooler?
    I assume all those folks are air dropping their coolers and other gear out the back of a C-130 and need the ruggedness. :)
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Photo Egg
    MattBTI said:
    20lb costs about $5 at the liquor store down the street from me. 
    Got to love Buc-ees in Texas. 20lb bag for .99 cents.
    Cheaper to buy a 20lb bag of ice than a cup of ice at the soda machine. lol
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • MattBTI
    @Photo Egg Holy cow, that's nuts. 
    Pratt, KS
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,230
    Because they can and they want to?
    New Albany, Ohio 

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    1voyager said:
    What a great question my friend. I will try to give a respectful answer in return. To set the stage, allow me to ask a couple of questions if I may. 
    Why would anyone buy a Corvette? By far and large there is no legitimate need for a Corvette. It only holds two people. It's extremely expensive. Insurance for them is outrageous. It won't pull a trailer. You can't go off roading in it. They are gas guzzlers. As far as vehicles go, it's one of the most useless yet most expensive vehicles out there. So again, why in the heck do they even manufacture them? Simple; it's a matter of taste and a want. Not all products are geared to fill a need. They are simply a want. 
    Now to clarify, I'm not saying that rotomolded coolers do not fill a particular need because they certainly do. But again, like the Corvette, it's not always a need, it's simply a want. 
    This part is something that most normal people or poor people (like myself) don't always grasp. To some people, money really is no object. If you have been reading the forum very long, then you have probably figured out there are some real high rollers on here. There are several multimillionaires on here. They don't even blink an eye if something cost 1,000 dollars. They probably have more than that in their front pocket or wallet. A thousand bucks to them is like a dollar to me. They don't even notice it gone. 
    At the end of the day, all of us have things that we don't really need. We just wanted them. This is true of the rich, poor, and everyone in between. 

Note on the above text. 
    I was not bashing or singling out Corvette or Corvette owners. I own a 1972 Stingray myself. I was merely using them as an example. You could substitute many things (John Deere, Caterpillar, A-Square, etc, etc) in place of the Corvette. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• 1voyager
    edited September 2017
    @SGH  - On the contrary. Corvettes are quite useful. They are CHICK MAGNETS.

I simply didn't understand how useful and necessary a rotomolded cooler is. Now I do.

• SGH
    edited September 2017
    1voyager said:
    @SGH  - On the contrary. Corvettes are quite useful. They are CHICK MAGNETS.

So are rotomolded coolers  =)

If the above don't make you want a rotomolded cooler, I don't know what else to say  =)

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• 1voyager
    I can't breathe! I can't breathe!  :o 
  • SGH
    edited September 2017
    Here is what happens if you don't have a rotomolded cooler  =)

See my point ;)

Status- Standing by.