Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT- Rotomolded Cooler Recommendation

Options
13»

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    Options
    take your yeti with you

Image result for yeti casket
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,834
    Options
    Looks to me like only Yetis are chick magnets.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    Looks to me like only Yetis are chick magnets.

Pro-tip On really hot days sit in your beer cooler and drink tequila icethosebunz hornitostequila lemonsqueeze waitingonthebite girlswhofish girlswhodrink summer hot rticcoolers rticcoolers pelagicgear  cred my pelagic homegirl christinacerrone
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • 1voyager
    1voyager Posts: 1,157
    edited September 2017
    Options
    @Hawg Fan

I recommend that you get a Yeti. 
    Large Egg, PGS A40 gasser.
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    SGH said:
    Here is what happens if you don't have a rotomolded cooler  =)

See my point ;)
    Post of The Year! 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

Well then it's decided.  If I've got to kick a hot chick off my cooler every time I want a beer, I'm not getting a Yeti.  Or maybe I should I get three Yetis

Phoenix 
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,361
    Options
    blasting said:

Well then it's decided.  If I've got to kick a hot chick off my cooler every time I want a beer, I'm not getting a Yeti.  Or maybe I should I get three Yetis

The hot chick gets the beer for you, duh!

Jacksonville FL
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    I always thought I needed a new cooler like I needed a hole in my head.  When RTIC rolled out their post-lawsuit sale, I pounced.  I was even happier when some jackwagon tried to cooler shame all RTIC owners.  I don't use mine all that often, but it's great to have for the times I do use it!
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Hawg Fan
    Hawg Fan Posts: 1,517
    Options
    WeberWho said:
    1voyager said:
    The rotomolded coolers look, well, cool but I would like to ask respectful question. Please no flames. One can buy a Coleman for a tenth of the cost of a Yeti, RTC, Pelican. My 48 quart Coleman has 3 day ice retention. Why would a person pay 10X for a rotomolded cooler?
    Camping for longer periods of time. I also believe some camp sites require bear proof coolers before entry.

My Igloo fold down handle started to go to crap on my cooler after the first year of ownership. The bottom also developed a crack. The final dagger was when it flew out of my truck after tailgating with it. (My fault) I picked up an RTIC when they were on clearance. I don't necessarily need one but at the price they were selling them on clearance I picked one up. I really do enjoy the purchase. The biggest drawback is the weight of the 65. Not portable when loaded with goods. I really wish it had wheels. It's not so bad with a truck. Load and unload near the tailgate. The biggest appreciation is the divider and rack with the RTIC. They are both accessories that need to purchased additionally but are great to have. The divider helps keeping food and beverages seperate. The rack helps keep stuff from getting soggy in ice. (Cheese, eggs, etc.) Do I need this cooler? Probably not but I haven't regretted purchasing it. I should see many, many, years out of it.
    That's good info because I was considering the Igloo.  Thank So!

Any road will take you there if you don't know where you're going.

Terry

Rockwall, TX
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    Focker said:
    The XL Arctic Ice Chillin Brews are money well spent, I can get through a weekend without an ice run.

Really like these cold packs as well...
    They do require freezer space at home and they do need more than overnight in the freezer to reach full potential.
    Pound for pound they do not initially work as well as ice. I mean ice and ice cold water can fit into every nook of your cooler. Ice packs can not do this so they do take up more space in the cooler. But if you start with cold food and beverages they are fantastic and it's nice not to have water soaking everything in the cooler.
    But I still have to keep a Ziplock bag of ice in the cooler for Rum and Cokes.lol
    Good points.  Night before, I prechill the coolers with a frozen gal jug of water in each.  Bringing a rotomold to temp sucks a lot of energy.  Add chillin brews morning of, chilled or frozen food, and a couple of frozen water bottles.

Granted, beer or pop isn't crispy cold like on ice, but good enough for me, not having water logged items in the cooler and not making ice runs is worth every single penny.  No mess rolling in to deal with is awesome too.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    The rtic 65 is my best cooler.  Its been through the paces at tailgates, camping and fishing trips.n i had been saving up for a yeti and was halfway there when, on this forum, there appeared the message regarding rtic.  So being impatient as i am and being the value shopper i am i decided hey why continue to  sa ve change for another year when i could get a high quality unit right now?  So i did it and am really happy with it.   If it falls apart ill buy another one....
  • erniemcclain
    Options
    We sell Grizzly. Made in Decora Iowa. Lifetime warranty. 

Ernie McClain

Scottsbluff, Nebraska

(in the extreme western panhandle of NE)

• odie91
    odie91 Posts: 541
    edited September 2017
    Options
    I haven't read through this entire thread but if it hasn't already been mentioned, Monoprice has entered the cooler wars. They are a company that sells pretty good quality electronics equipment ( some of it being what you call knock offs) , so I assume their cooler would be pretty good in quality

P.s. they also sell a knock off anova
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,345
    Options
    These things are beginning to flood the market. A lot of new names popping up - Driftsun, Outsunny, Orca, Frosty, etc.

My new fave - FATBOY!

https://fatboycoolers.com/

Fatboy's appear to be rebadged Driftsuns (or vice versa).
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• blasting
    edited September 2017
    Options

Still waiting for one of these brands to mold a cup holder into the lid.

Phoenix 
  • SeanP
    SeanP Posts: 30
    Options
    I
    blasting said:

A lot of the Pelicans do.
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    If it's not a Yeti you are a ...  Amazing how people succumb to marketing.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,171
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    Don't you have a Hopper? 
  • bgebrent
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    Don't you have a Hopper? 
    You can bet your ass.  Two of them, both were gifts.  You?
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,171
    edited September 2017
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    bgebrent said:
    Don't you have a Hopper? 
    I'm a worthless POS that bought his with a REI 20% coupon and my annual dividends. 
  • bgebrent
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    bgebrent said:
    Don't you have a Hopper? 
    I'm a worthless POS that bought his with a REI 20% coupon and my annual dividends. 
    Pos for sure.
  • blasting
    Options
    SeanP said:
    I
    blasting said:

Thanks @SeanP .  I looked them up - pretty nice.  Not great reviews - owners are hating on the leaky drain plug. 

Phoenix 
  • SeanP
    SeanP Posts: 30
    Options
    blasting said:
    SeanP said:
    I
    blasting said:

Thanks @SeanP .  I looked them up - pretty nice.  Not great reviews - owners are hating on the leaky drain plug. 

It has a gasket/washer like your garden hose, (same thread pitch too) it requires a good twist. I haven't had any issues.
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    edited September 2017
    Options
    I have 2 RTIC 65s, 1 45, 1 20, and a 140 on the way. I also own a Yeti 20.  I had the yeti first and loved it but got it as a gift. I could never bring myself to buy a YETI because I just don't take very good care of my coolers so I can't spend big money on something I know I'll leave leftover food in for a week sometimes.  

Then came the RTIC. I bought the 65 and felt like it was basically the exact same cooler as the yeti but half the price. As I've gotten more into camping and charity cooking I've found more and more need for ice that can last a few days instead of just one afternoon in the South Mississippi heat and humidity. So I bought more coolers. I've owned the first RTIC 65 basically as long as they have been out and it has stayed in the sun strapped to a cooking trailer that entire time. It's travelled abou 10,000 miles behind a class A motorhome with no protection. It's dirty but has lost nothing but the feet (which fall off at an obnoxious rate)  I love it. Far superior to any non roto-molded cooler I have ever tried.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    @Hawg Fan

If you are not going to use one, for only a couple of days, you really do not need one. 

I own a Yeti 65, and have a Yeti Hopper as well. I see the value of these items whenever we, as outdoor enthusiasts (absolute understatement there), spend a week or two pursuing our goals.

The 65 is a durable, animal proof, cold storage container that does exactly as expected, so there are no concerns on performance each and every time we use it. We do use it frequently, and have done so, for the last 4? years.

I fully expect this cooler to outlive me, based upon the construction of this item.

If you enjoy camping, as much as we do, it is nice to know your provisions are secure and safe, when returning from a summit.

We had an instance, prior to owning a Yeti, where our provisions were ransacked by animals while we were away from camp. All of our provisions were pulled out of the coolers (which had been latched) and eaten or strewn about the remote camp site. The 2 coolers were also damaged or destroyed in the process.

That was, without a doubt, the decision maker for us, and all the  justification required,  to make the purchase on the 65.

We bought it at Sam's club, years ago for a discounted price, It was one of only two left at that time.

Since that purchase, others have been introduced to the market. I am sure they are fine units. Had they been available, or I had been aware of their existence I may have considered them. However, the personal recommendation from the forest service got my immediatr attention.

My Yeti has paid for itself. It will continue to do so. 

Let me know if you want to talk about tents, hiking poles, boots, crampons, static or dynamic ropes, backpacks, water purification systems, generators, camp chairs, camp stoves, snow boards, etc., as I spend big dollars there too after thorough research.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • TideEggHead
    Options
    We have a couple of yeti coolers and a hopper. We have found the hopper keeps ice for 2-3 depending on use and conditions. All of the coolers are perfect for our uses, camping trips, beach trips, day trips, extended trips (4+ days). We us our roadie and hopper the most but the 45 qt is key for when our power goes down and for extended trips. With regular use, I can get 7 days easily. I haven't paid full price for any of them but I feel like they are worth the money (or at least the price of an engel cooler) I cannot stand broken latches, cracked lids, or broken drain plugs. I used to have to deal with that with our old coleman and igloo coolers and have to deal with it with the coolers we have at work, it sucks. I feel like the yetis have definitely paid for them selves; although, I would probably not pay full price. As others have mentioned engel rtic etc... are good options, looking at the engel website, you can get a 65qt for $279.99. If I were buying one today I would probably go that route. Like others have said, does everyone need a rotomolded cooler=NO, is it justified for me=YES. They have also been lifesavers the few times we have lost power for extended periods due to tornadoes and hurricanes. Been researching getting a generator for that lately...

LBGE
    AL
  • Teefus
    Teefus Posts: 1,208
    Options
    SGH said:
    1voyager said:
    @SGH  - On the contrary. Corvettes are quite useful. They are CHICK MAGNETS.

So are rotomolded coolers  =)

If the above don't make you want a rotomolded cooler, I don't know what else to say  =)
    Yikes!
    Michiana, South of the border.
  • blasting
    Options
    Teefus said:
    SGH said:
    1voyager said:
    @SGH  - On the contrary. Corvettes are quite useful. They are CHICK MAGNETS.

So are rotomolded coolers  =)

If the above don't make you want a rotomolded cooler, I don't know what else to say  =)
    Yikes!

I just want to know what kind of bait they used.

Phoenix 
  • 1voyager
    1voyager Posts: 1,157
    Options

I just want to know what kind of bait they used.

$$$$$$$
    Large Egg, PGS A40 gasser.