Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I've Got alot of Slicing to do

Options
MattBTI
MattBTI Posts: 417
I've been busy working on some
batches of bacon. This is the first of many. Mahogany colored bellies are maple, the blackened are pepper crusted. I've got 2.5 more sides to go on this order. 

I really need to scale up. I find my kitchen equipment just isn't cutting it lol. 
Pratt, KS

Comments

• Stuss
    Stuss Posts: 75
    Options
    I really want to give pork belly a try but not real clear on the process.   Your pics look outstanding and would love to know how you made that pice of magic happen.   Were they skinless pork belly or what?  
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,174
    Options
    I wonder if you could take those to a butcher and have them slice it up for you for a few bucks. 
  • 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    Options
    If you are a spendthrift like me, a real slicer is a nice investment:
    http://www.globefoodequip.com/products/slicers/medium-duty-slicers/

The tradeoff is that a 10" requires folding big bellies to slice, but the bigger models are larger/heavier than you may want if you put it away between uses. 

We got a Globe G10, and have been very happy with its operation and ease of clean up (a key issue if you want to use it a lot, and also not grow a new colony of bacteria). 
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX
  • MattBTI
    Options
    @Stuss It's a pretty simple process. a google search of Ruhlman's basic dry cure will lead you to a good start. Once you make the cure, it will keep for a long time in a baggie or container. I use a 5% cure to protein ratio. (5lb fresh belly would use 4oz cure. This way you can use lb, oz, grams, what ever measurement standard you would like. Put the belly in a ziplock, add cure and rub all over, then refrigerate for 6 days is what i've been doing. 

pull the bellies out, rinse and smoke then slice. smoke at 200F to IT of 150F

Pratt, KS
  • MattBTI
    Options
    @AlbertaEgger, I use the same knife. It really does make pretty easy work of it. Less clean up too. 
    Pratt, KS
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,174
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    @AlbertaEgger - that's some great knife skills right there.  Most eggcellent.
    That would make @cazzy proud 
  • 20stone
    Options

I have a slicer, but as mentioned above, I have to fold the belly in order to make a slice, I found a good knife is easier for myself anyways. Its also time for me to start some more, planning on it in the next few weeks.

I have three issues with your approach:
    1. @20stonespice prefers thinner bacon
    2. I can't slice as well as you
    3. I like toys
    Great knife work there!
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove

Austin, TX
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,761
    Options
    MattBTI said:
    I've been busy working on some
    batches of bacon. This is the first of many. Mahogany colored bellies are maple, the blackened are pepper crusted. I've got 2.5 more sides to go on this order. 

I really need to scale up. I find my kitchen equipment just isn't cutting it lol. 
    Very Nice--On My Bucket List--Question for all on the Smoke- seems many shy away from the Cold Smoke Process- Pros Cons?
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I'm all about the slicer. I have a 10" Globe as well. Pounds through 20 lbs of back in 10 minutes or so.

Those are some serious knife skills but I don't have the precision, patience or forearm strength to do that amount of tonnage. 

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • MattBTI
    Options
    @lkapigian I hot smoke, I never have cold smoked bacon. I know there are some guys on here that prefer cold smoked. I may try it, but not before this fall/winter

Pratt, KS
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Nice looking bacon and knife skills. I too use a slicer but a cheap one.  
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited September 2017
    Options
    I too, have done the parfreeze slice method.
    And I too, don't like thicker bacon, nor have the patience for it.

If you're serious about bacon, get a commercial slicer.  Worth it for bacon and aged cheesesteaks alone.
    My 12" #512 Hobart was $300 courtesy of CL, came with an extra knife.  Threw a few bucks to my knife sharpening guy to put a new edge on the knives, some food grade grease and silicone spray, a $90 Craftsman Engine Cart to store it on, and I wheel it out, plug in, and deal.

You can find nice manuals, slicers are pretty straightforward with mechanics.  Parts can get pricey, if they are missing.

Takes me 5 min to tear down, 10 min to clean, 5 min to reassemble.   Spray the guides with silicone, mineral oil works in a pinch.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,761
    Options
    MattBTI said:
    @lkapigian I hot smoke, I never have cold smoked bacon. I know there are some guys on here that prefer cold smoked. I may try it, but not before this fall/winter

Thanks @MattBTI If the end result is the same, guess it would not matter, would think the Hot Smoke has more of a pre cooked texture? I am assuming the fear in the cold smoke is botulism which Cure should take care of
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,347
    Options
    I'm surprised nobody offers an accessory sliding tray/carriage for home type meat slicers to cut things like bacon. Seems to be a market for that.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,836
    Options
    20stone said:

I have a slicer, but as mentioned above, I have to fold the belly in order to make a slice, I found a good knife is easier for myself anyways. Its also time for me to start some more, planning on it in the next few weeks.

3. I like toys
    Great knife work there!
    4.  He's lazy.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• 20stone
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    20stone said:

3. I like toys
    Great knife work there!
    4.  He's lazy.
    That too.
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove

Austin, TX
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    5. Gerbils
    @MattBTI what brand knife are you using? Looks great!
    LBGE Chicago, IL
  • MattBTI
    Options
    Thats a Victorinox of @AlbertaEgger, I use the same one. Rather inexpensive, but high value item. 
    Pratt, KS
  • MattBTI
    Options
    In all I sliced and vacuum sealed over 23lbs. I have another two large sides to make. I didn't weigh the sides, but I would guess it to be 15+ lbs each. 
    Pratt, KS