Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

costco or sams club?

FanOfFanboys
FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615
Going to get a membership to one tomorrow. 

Leaning Costco. Never had, just based on their reputation. I have had Sams club a few times

any reason to pick one over the other?
Boom

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    This gets kicked around here quite often and I believe the majority think COSTCO is best. However we are in the minority and though we joined COSTCO earlier this year I intend to go back next week and cancel our membership. I think it depends as not all SAMS nor COSTCOs are created equal. 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Have both but it would be Costco if only one. 
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    Mickey said:
    Same.
  • Brason
    Brason Posts: 330
    Mickey said:
    Same but only because Costco is 2 miles and Sam's is 30 miles away.
    Cheers,

Jason

Orange County- CA
  • FanOfFanboys
    FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615
    signed up this morn. did the executive. immediately spent $200 ha
    much better meat selection, higher quality beef, and much lower price than any local grocery stores or meat markets have
    Boom
  • I have both. Sam's is cheaper but Costco has better stuff. I would do Costco if I just had one but I sell them both a lot of stuff so I'm in both quite a bit. 

If I had a restaurant or a business, I would do Sams because it is definitely cheaper on similar product. But for personal use, Costco has way more fun things (Prime beef, upscale cheeses, better wines etc)
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    Executive is good, we always get money back.  If you end up liking it, consider getting their visa - it's a good deal, doubles your warranties at Costco, very good cash back %'s on stuff at Costco and stuff not at Costco.
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,794
    We had both for a while.  Now we only have Costco.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    We have both mainly due to some things available at Sam's are not carried by Costco. Go mainly to Costco and only a few times to Sams. 

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Costco prime packer brisket 2.99/lb is reason enough 
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Agree with @HeavyG don't like Walmart corp
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • GoldenQ
    GoldenQ Posts: 565
    We just cancelled SAMS due to Costco having better quality meats and cheeses and etc in Pearland
    I XL  and 1 Weber Kettle  And 1 Weber Q220       Outside Alvin, TX-- South of Houston
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited July 2017
    RRP said:
    This gets kicked around here quite often and I believe the majority think COSTCO is best. However we are in the minority and though we joined COSTCO earlier this year I intend to go back next week and cancel our membership. I think it depends as not all SAMS nor COSTCOs are created equal. 
    Is it the jaccard treatment that sent ya over the edge?
    Sam's is literally a 2 min drive.  We are getting a Costco eventually in Davenport, not sure I'll make the switch and drive the extra 15 minutes.  I may reconsider the extra drive for the Costco ground unicorn everyone raves about.

My Sam's stocks Revolution brew, handles of Evan for $21, quality meats, cheeses. Nathan's big a$$ hot dog and a pop is less than 2 bucks.  

Plus I'd have to pay an extra nickel for each can in IA......Fock that. Lol
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    I used to have a membership to both Sam's Club and Costco. I think Costco was a little cleaner and better cuts of meat. Sam's was closer and cheaper. Sam's Club won us over. I can be to Sam's Club in under 8 minutes. Costco was 15-20 minutes away. Location was the key factor.

Take a tour of both clubs. See what both have to offer. One might better suit you than the other
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Focker said:
    RRP said:
    Is it the jaccard treatment that sent ya over the edge?
    Sam's is literally a 2 min drive.  We are getting a Costco eventually in Davenport, not sure I'll make the switch and drive the extra 15 minutes.  I may reconsider the extra drive for the Costco ground unicorn everyone raves about.

My Sam's stocks Revolution brew, handles of Evan for $21, quality meats, cheeses. Nathan's big a$$ hot dog and a pop is less than 2 bucks.  

Plus I'd have to pay an extra nickel for each can in IA.  
    No - SAMS is much closer not only in miles, but traffic since SAMS is back roads for me, but COSTCO is in EP and no quick way to get there from here. I'm not knocking COSTCO at all - just saying I'm happy with our SAMS.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,286
    Sam's is 20 miles away to the west and Costco is 45 miles to the east. I have a good grocery store a quarter mile to the south. Easy decision.
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Costco's prime meat.....

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Sam's is local here, but Costco is 30 minutes away.  I've had pretty good luck with Sam's meat so I'm sticking.  I've never even set foot in a Costco!
    Flint, Michigan
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,864
    Agree with the above sentiment to avoid giving more money to the Walton family unless you can't help it.

We've had a Costco membership for about five years now.  It's great.  They do a great tire service in addition to what everyone else has mentioned.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Agree with the above sentiment to avoid giving more money to the Walton family unless you can't help it.

We've had a Costco membership for about five years now.  It's great.  They do a great tire service in addition to what everyone else has mentioned.
    Echoing what John has noted and customer service is wonderful.  

I left Costco for Sam's because of a great deal Sam's had through work that pretty much gave me the membership and a gift card.  It was pretty good, but kept comparing it to Costco, and was never pleased.  When my membership expired to Sam's, I went back to Costco.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • OhioEgger
    OhioEgger Posts: 900
    Sam's is cheaper but Costco has better stuff.
    This is the key for me. Costco's quality is unsurpassed. Anything with the Kirkland brand name on it is going to be top quality at a good price and that's what keeps me renewing my membership every year.
    Cincinnati, Ohio. Large BGE since 2011. Still learning.
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,864
    OhioEgger said:
    Sam's is cheaper but Costco has better stuff.
    This is the key for me. Costco's quality is unsurpassed. Anything with the Kirkland brand name on it is going to be top quality at a good price and that's what keeps me renewing my membership every year.
    The spare ribs are great.  I've yet to find another brand that has anywhere near the same quality or as much meat on them.  And it's pretty cheap too!
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited July 2017
    Each has their own benefits. On beef Costco has Prime whereas Sams typically only carries Choice. Costco also has a more diverse and fresher seafood dept. 
    We have membership to both. Costco is a good hour click out for us so I carry a small cooler  with me just in case I'm close by. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164

Leaning Costco. Never had, just based on their reputation. I have had Sams club a few times

I made the switch from  Sams to Costco recently. My Sams was near by....however the Costco is across town. I will say this, and I mean no disrespect to those employed by Sams.....there is a major difference in the quality of employee between the two stores. I am a Costco man now here in Columbia. The Costco is 22 miles from me now. No regrets.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867

I made the switch from  Sams to Costco recently. My Sams was near by....however the Costco is across town. I will say this, and I mean no disrespect to those employed by Sams.....there is a major difference in the quality of employee between the two stores. I am a Costco man now here in Columbia. The Costco is 22 miles from me now. No regrets.
    pizza personal workout work in progress love you all GIF
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Teefus
    Teefus Posts: 1,204
    We were Sam's members for years. Once we got a Costco it was a total game changer. No contest. Not even close.
    Michiana, South of the border.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Have both. Sam's is maybe 5 mins away, Costco is 10 mins. We rarely go to Sam's except for certain things. But as mentioned above, Sam's does seem better for small business owners, catering services, etc. Costco seems to have better quality food and other items overall. Bought 2 wifi surveillance cameras for about $150 less than Amazon. 

And don't forget other services - mortgage, HVAC, car buying, tires,  etc. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • TN_Sister_State
    TN_Sister_State Posts: 1,130
    edited July 2017
    The only complaint i have about costco is that their pork butts are boneless. I prefer a bone in pork butt. Other than that we are all costco with the costco visa. 
    Franklin, Tn
    LBGE - Cast Iron Grate - Flameboss 300 - BGEtisserie

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    The liquor store is superior. Costco has the stuff I want. Prime brisket @2.99/#.
    Duh.
    Next?
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky