Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Traveling to Texas in November

YukonRon
YukonRon Posts: 16,984
Flying into Austin in November. We are hooking up with the ILs and some friends, then heading out to hill country.
Aside from the obvious choices to visit for food, any must do activities while there?
Planning on some wine tastings, and we have a home reserved in Fredericksburg.
Thanks in advance,
Peace.
"Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
Louisville, Kentucky

Comments

• Lots of good vineyards in Fredericksburg, but sounds like you got that figured out.  I'd also recommend a stop by garrison brothers distillery.  If you happen to be there in the first Friday of the month all the art gallerys in Fredericksburg stay open late and serve local wine and hors d'ouvres, just google search Fredericksburg first Fridays.

Ive never eaten at franklins BBQ, but La BBQ is the best brisket I've ever had, and at least when I ate there a few years back, not much of a line either.

Im sure you'll have a blast.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,951
    edited July 2017
    YukonRon said:
    Flying into Austin in November. We are hooking up with the ILs and some friends, then heading out to hill country.
    Aside from the obvious choices to visit for food, any must do activities while there?
    Planning on some wine tastings, and we have a home reserved in Fredericksburg.
    Thanks in advance,
    Peace.
    I have a bunch of good wineries you should go to. If you are in to beer there are some killer breweries mixed in to the TX wine trail as well. 

Our Favorite Winery is Fall Creek Vineyards in Driftwood

https://www.fcv.com/

While there you should also check out Duchman Family Winery

http://duchmanwinery.com/

They do all Italian varietals and they do a very nice job. Try the Aglianico for sure. Big Italian Red that we just love. Texas is one of the only regions outside of southern Italy growing these grapes and producing 100% Aglianico wine.  Their Vermintino is one of our favorite summer whites

The Original Salt Lick BBQ is right there as well- it's a great place to spend an afternoon. It's BYOB, they will have live music going and even though the Q is not the best, it's pretty damn good. Just order family style ribs, brisket, sausage. It's all you can eat with all the sides too. Like $29 per person or something like that. Well worth it. Fall Creek is litteraly across the street from Salt Lick and Duchman is a 5 minute drive. Great little hot spot for Hill Country Fun

In Fredericksburg we like William Chris Winery- http://www.williamchriswines.com/

You should probably hit up Becker too but it's not normally in our rotation. Becker makes decent wines (their Tempranillo is one of our faves) but the winery is more like a Napa experience. It's big, loud and packed. There are certainly better Texas wines out there but still a fun place to hang for  a while. If you are in Fredericksburg anyway it's definitely worth a visit. http://www.beckervineyards.com/

Also in the area (right by William Chris) is Garrison Brothers Distillery. They do a nice bourbon and the tasting is fun. It's by appointment only so plan that one in advance. http://www.garrisonbros.com/

The trick to most TX wines is to look for Rhone or Italian varietals. They grow very well here and produce some killer wines. The story of TX wines is really cool so ask a lot of questions and read up a little. You will find a lot of GSM (Grenache-Syrah-Mourvèdre) blends in the area. It's kind of our table red around here. You'll find some excellent examples of all those varietals here. Temperanillo too. Stay away from most cabernets with the exception of Fall Creek. Their signature cab is one of the best I have had anywhere. It's $50 a bottle but drinks above that. if you see a Chardonnay, run away. I don't recall seeing any in years but stick with the rhone and Italian whites and you'll be happy. 

Great way to spend a Saturday or Sunday lunch is at Stanley's Farmhouse Pizza. http://www.stanleysfarmhousepizza.com/

Great pizza and tons of craft beers on tap. They share the grounds with Jester King Brewery- http://jesterkingbrewery.com/

Jester King does all Sour and Lambic style beers and their tasting room is top notch. 

This is close to Fall Creek and many other wineries. Also Treaty Oak Distillery is a fun visit. Lots of craft cocktails with spirits distilled on site. https://www.treatyoakdistilling.com/

There are so many more but this would be a good example of the places we would go on a saturday or Sunday

Let me know if you want more. There are at least 10 others that are in our rotation.

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    @The_Cen-Tex_Smoker You are an endless surprise of knowledge my friend. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • SciAggie said:
    You have no idea...
  • Also- You must go have a beer at Luckenbach TX. You are 10 minutes away in F-Burg
  • SciAggie said:
    You have no idea...
    I just wish more of it was useful :lol:

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    Damn that happened fast. I need to try some of those wineries myself.

@The Cen-Tex Smoker have you been to Lazarus brewing on east sixth yet?
  • Legume said:
    Damn that happened fast. I need to try some of those wineries myself.

@The Cen-Tex Smoker have you been to Lazarus brewing on east sixth yet?
    I haven't. Im not a big beer guys so I normally visit wineries and distilleries. I have several friends who are beer people so I get my limited beer experience from them. I like beer but about 10 years ago it started making me feel horrible when I drank it. I can have 2-3 then I'm done. 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    @YukonRon - You are in for brisket heaven.  All I will offer is that you can find great wines in many locales; brisket...  Enjoy the entire experience, especially the 75 MPH speed limit country two-lane roads.  That is some fine driving entertainment.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Damn. I just learned a lot about TX. Caliqueen will be pleased.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • caliking said:
    Damn. I just learned a lot about TX. Caliqueen will be pleased.
    Pretty sure we could arrange for a personal tour

@YukonRon- TFJ and I will gladly to meet you guys for an afternoon. We live 20 min from duchman/Fall Creek/Salt lick. This little run is right in our wheelhouse.  This is what we do. 
  • If you want the brisket tour, that's going to be in Austin proper (1.5 hours from F-Burg). 

In order of bang for ther buck (short wait, killer brisket)

Valentina's Tex Mex BBQ- http://www.valentinastexmexbbq.com/

The Word is out so you will have a 30 min wait on a weekend day. Get there early and get a Real Deal Holyfield Taco (Homemade tortilla, Fried Egg, Brisket, retired beans, and potatoes with homemade salsa) and get a pile of Brisket on the side. You won't be disappointed. 

Mickelthwait Craft Meats (the "th is silent so pronounced Mickelwait). Great brisket and homemaid breads and desserts. 15-30 min line on a weekend. Well worth it and right by LaBBQ and Franklin)-  http://craftmeatsaustin.com/

LaBBQ- They Are moving from their current trailer to a brick and mortar on August 2nd so they will be rolling but the time you get here. Line can be an hour if you get there after 10 am at the trailer. Not sure how the new location is going to run. It's in a quirky east side quickie mart type place with craft beers etc. Should be cool- 

https://www.labarbecue.com/#modern-organic-thai

Here is the quickie pickie site. IT's a cool quirky little shop on the east side (fastest growing part of the city but still funky). http://quickiepickieaustin.com/

Eat breakfast tacos whenever you can. Most are basic but you'll find all kinds out there. They are in gas stations, restaurants and just about everywhere else you can think of. My every day fave is bacon egg potato and cheese with salsa verde. I eat tacos for breakfast at least 3 days a week. And have For the last 20 years :). Once you learn the glory is a properly done BT (or even a **** gas station version when in need- aka hungover) it will change your life. 
  • Other places of note that I have not been yet-

Styles Switch (he's an acolyte of Louie Mueller bbq in Tayler. They are considered one of the founding fathers of TX bbq. He's one of the few that does dinner too. Most open at 11 and serve until sold out. 

I've heard good things about Freedman's too. Just haven't been. 

Of course Franklin is still the king but on a weekend, it's a 5-6 hour deal. A fun deal but I wouldn't recommend giving up your whole day for it. You can get close at all the others and be in and out in under an hour. Get on with your life.

• lousubcap
    I have only two data points with Franklins; one right after pounding brisket at Valentina's.  I drove by Franklin's on the way to my hotel (2 blocks from his place and close to all the others mentioned by Cen-Tex except Valentina's) and thought okay let's see the line (1PM on a Tues in early Dec).  The line was only 45 minutes and thus a true meat coma after those two in a row.  
    Nest day I did the line wait (entertaining in and of itself).  Was around 30th in line @ 8AM.  I'm sure you have other uses for your time-but if you don't know when (if ever) you will be back in Austin, then I would make the sacrifice.  Just a tourists' opinion.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Franklin is awesome. No doubt about it. 
  • YukonRon
    We arrive Thursday at 6:00 P.M. and will be staying the evening in Austin that night, and returning Sunday evening and flying out Monday. We will be driving over to Fredericksburg on Friday, staying through until Sunday. 
    @The Cen-Tex Smoker we we be joining 2 other couples, but we would cherish the opportunity to meet up with y'all. Please do put us in your plans. You will like them, they are laid back, and if you can make it,  drinks are on me, since we will have a difficult time to bringing Bourbon Slushies on this trip.
    This has got to happen!

Thank you for the help.NewfoundEgger said:
    Lots of good vineyards in Fredericksburg, but sounds like you got that figured out.  I'd also recommend a stop by garrison brothers distillery.  If you happen to be there in the first Friday of the month all the art gallerys in Fredericksburg stay open late and serve local wine and hors d'ouvres, just google search Fredericksburg first Fridays.

Ive never eaten at franklins BBQ, but La BBQ is the best brisket I've ever had, and at least when I ate there a few years back, not much of a line either.

Im sure you'll have a blast.
    Thank you @NewfoundEgger
    We will certainly add those to the list. If you have zero going on, we would love to meet y'all. If the logistics are doable, it would be cool. If not, next time for sure?

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    lousubcap said:
    @YukonRon - You are in for brisket heaven.  All I will offer is that you can find great wines in many locales; brisket...  Enjoy the entire experience, especially the 75 MPH speed limit country two-lane roads.  That is some fine driving entertainment.  
    My Beautiful Wife commented "You mean it is not 75mph on Kentucky two lane roads?" (She of the Porsche racing heritage) =)
    We absolutely plan on killing the BBQ circuit while there. You know me @lousubcap, anytime I can get wine dialed in with BBQ, I am in. Doing so with friends and family just makes it better. You ought to book a flight.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Hoping we see y'all while there.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • We are in. What day are you flying in? (The date)
  • GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    A lot of great info here, appreciated. Hope to make the trip next year. 
  • krobertsmsn
    krobertsmsn Posts: 655
    Go to Hondos on Main for live music and awesome burgers/onion rings!!!!
    LBGE 4/2012, MBGE 6/2012 & Mini 11/2013
    Rome, GA
  • lousubcap
    edited July 2017
    @YukonRon - When in Fredricksburg make sure to find your way to the Chester Nimitz Museum: http://www.pacificwarmuseum.org  Definitely worth your time.
    Edit: Within your time-frame you are gonna be stretched to pull it all off but "no hill for a climber."  BTW- you can get beer at Franklin's...fortunately no wine ;)
  • YukonRon said:
    lousubcap said:
    My Beautiful Wife commented "You mean it is not 75mph on Kentucky two lane roads?" (She of the Porsche racing heritage) =)
    We absolutely plan on killing the BBQ circuit while there. You know me @lousubcap, anytime I can get wine dialed in with BBQ, I am in. Doing so with friends and family just makes it better. You ought to book a flight.
    The toll road by the airport is 85. You can go 94 without expecting a ticket. Boo-Ya
  • YukonRon
    We are in. What day are you flying in? (The date)
    We supposedly land Thursday, 6:00 P.M. 2, November.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Go to Hondos on Main for live music and awesome burgers/onion rings!!!!
    Will do. Thank you for the heads up. My Beautiful Wife loves all 3, so it is a definite story for us.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    lousubcap said:
    @YukonRon - When in Fredricksburg make sure to find your way to the Chester Nimitz Museum: http://www.pacificwarmuseum.org  Definitely worth your time.
    Edit: Within your time-frame you are gonna be stretched to pull it all off but "no hill for a climber."  BTW- you can get beer at Franklin's...fortunately no wine ;)
    Thank you 'Cap, we had planned on visiting this museum.
    My father was on a converted LST, smallest warship in the island hopping campaign of the South Pacific. Perhaps I will learn something more about him.
    Prior to an invasion, his ship would approach the island and draw fire from the fixed positions, which they identified, and radioed the coordinates to the battleships located out of the enemy's firing range, to soften the beach heads for landings.
    In the first month of action, over half of his original crew lost their lives. It is a miracle he survived.
    It will be a visit, for sure. 

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • lousubcap
    edited July 2017
    @YukonRon - should you be interested in a good read after your trip (or before for that matter) check out "The Admirals" for  great insights about the politics and occasional strategy regarding WW II.  Enlightening about the key players, Nimitz, Halsey, Leahy and King.  
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,795
    If you want some great beer, hit Real Ale brewery in Blanco.  And Driftwood Vineyard's Longhorn Red (Cab/Syrah blend) is one of the favorite wines on the planet (although it has been several years since I've had it - but when I did it was at a big wine tasting with wines from all over the world and both SWMBO and I liked it best of all).

You could have a pretty great day on Sunday if you made your way back to Austin by going to Luckenbach followed by a stop at Real Ale, then a stop at Driftwood Vineyard in Driftwood, then a 1 minute drive to the Salt Lick. Salt Lick is not the best Q in the area, but it is pretty good.  And the atmosphere can't be beat.  It's in the middle of nowhere but don't be surprised if you wait an hour for a table because the acres of parking lot will be full.

What say ye @The Cen-Tex Smoker ?

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• YukonRon
    lousubcap said:
    @YukonRon - should you be interested in a good read after your trip (or before for that matter) check out "The Admirals" for  great insights about the politics and occasional strategy regarding WW II.  Enlightening about the key players, Nimitz, Halsey, Leahy and King.  
    @lousubcap
    Roger that. I will look it up. Thank you so much.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Foghorn said:
    If you want some great beer, hit Real Ale brewery in Blanco.  And Driftwood Vineyard's Longhorn Red (Cab/Syrah blend) is one of the favorite wines on the planet (although it has been several years since I've had it - but when I did it was at a big wine tasting with wines from all over the world and both SWMBO and I liked it best of all).

You could have a pretty great day on Sunday if you made your way back to Austin by going to Luckenbach followed by a stop at Real Ale, then a stop at Driftwood Vineyard in Driftwood, then a 1 minute drive to the Salt Lick. Salt Lick is not the best Q in the area, but it is pretty good.  And the atmosphere can't be beat.  It's in the middle of nowhere but don't be surprised if you wait an hour for a table because the acres of parking lot will be full.

What say ye @The Cen-Tex Smoker ?

@Foghorn
    Will try to fit that one in for sure. Thank you for the insight and we will try the wine. We plan on purchasing some select wines while there. We are sending down a couple of empty shipping cases prior to our arrival to store the selected bottles and send back.
    I have had some of the Texas wine, and have found the blends to be exceptional, and certainly on par with the blends of California. Red blends are my faves.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky