Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Traveling to Texas in November

Options
13»

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    This has stayed on topic for far too long 

Did you see my new knife?
    What knife?
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• SSQUAL612
    SSQUAL612 Posts: 1,186
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    texaswig said:
    Drunk if possible. 
    Is there any other way B)
    @texaswig I will take My Beautiful Wife, as she has never been to one. I frequented them in So. Cal. when I was working on a project out in Anaheim Hills.
    Loved the food, long lines, had police directing traffic when they were open.
    Thank you for the input, as it is a sure thing for us to do while there.
    There use to be WhataBurger in CA?   I thought it was a Texas thing.
    Tyler, TX   XL BGE 2016, KJ Classic 2019,  MES, 18.5 WSM,  Akorn Jr,  36"&17" Black Stone, Adj Rig, Woo, Grill Grates, SS Smokeware Cap, KAB,  FB 300, Thermapen 
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,836
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    xfire_ATX said:
    Foghorn said:
    If you want some great beer, hit Real Ale brewery in Blanco.  And 

My friends started Real Ale in the early 90s.  Was there when the very first keg was tapped in their carport.  They sold it to its current owners in early 2000s and hes done great things.  My favorite now is by @The Cen-Tex Smoker and me- Infamous Brewery.
    Thank you for the information, love the background. We will add as much as we can, and I certainly appreciate your insight.
    @xfire_ATX, that is awesome.

YukonRon, if you like Belgian tripels, their Devil's Backbone rivals some of the good tripels out of Belgium.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Hairless_Hand
    Options
    Other places of note that I have not been yet-

Styles Switch (he's an acolyte of Louie Mueller bbq in Tayler. They are considered one of the founding fathers of TX bbq. He's one of the few that does dinner too. Most open at 11 and serve until sold out. 

I've heard good things about Freedman's too. Just haven't been. 

Of course Franklin is still the king but on a weekend, it's a 5-6 hour deal. A fun deal but I wouldn't recommend giving up your whole day for it. You can get close at all the others and be in and out in under an hour. Get on with your life.

+1 for Stiles Switch BBQ. http://www.stilesswitchbbq.com/

Been there done that and can't wait to go back. Shocked that it doesn't get more love on this site. 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Mickey said:
    YukonRon said:
    @Mickey
    Just one?
    Well there a Lone Star, just what is expected
    Shiner 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options

YukonRon said:
    texaswig said:
    Drunk if possible. 
    @texaswig I will take My Beautiful Wife, as she has never been to one. I frequented them in So. Cal. when I was working on a project out in Anaheim Hills.
    If you were in socal, that was probability in-and-out. There are no whataburgers in socal. But there is one in F-burg. 
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options

YukonRon said:
    texaswig said:
    Drunk if possible. 
    If you were in socal, that was probability in-and-out. There are no whataburgers in socal. But there is one in F-burg. 
    You are correct. It was in and out. That is the one with all the quotes from the Bible, right?
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    YukonRon said:
    xfire_ATX said:
    Foghorn said:
    If you want some great beer, hit Real Ale brewery in Blanco.  And 

My friends started Real Ale in the early 90s.  Was there when the very first keg was tapped in their carport.  They sold it to its current owners in early 2000s and hes done great things.  My favorite now is by @The Cen-Tex Smoker and me- Infamous Brewery.
    Thank you for the information, love the background. We will add as much as we can, and I certainly appreciate your insight.
    @xfire_ATX, that is awesome.

YukonRon, if you like Belgian tripels, their Devil's Backbone rivals some of the good tripels out of Belgium.
    I will check it out. Thanks for all the good info.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Options
    SSQUAL612 said:
    YukonRon said:
    texaswig said:
    Drunk if possible. 
    There use to be WhataBurger in CA?   I thought it was a Texas thing.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Options
    xfire_ATX said:

Styles Switch (he's an acolyte of Louie Mueller bbq in Tayler. They are considered one of the founding fathers of TX bbq. He's one of the few that does dinner too. Most open at 11 and serve until sold out. 

Of course Franklin is still the king but on a weekend, it's a 5-6 hour deal. A fun deal but I wouldn't recommend giving up your whole day for it. You can get close at all the others and be in and out in under an hour. Get on with your life.

**Not really a brisket kinda guy**
    But I have hit them all and for Overall BBQ Stiles Switch is my fav.
    I think La BBQ has the best Brisket
    Thank you, meat coma on the way....

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Options

+1 for Stiles Switch BBQ. http://www.stilesswitchbbq.com/

Been there done that and can't wait to go back. Shocked that it doesn't get more love on this site. 

Can't wait to try them, I am anxious to learn how to cook like the pros.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    YukonRon said:

YukonRon said:
    texaswig said:
    Drunk if possible. 
    You are correct. It was in and out. That is the one with all the quotes from the Bible, right?
    Yes
  • YukonRon
    Options
    YukonRon said:

YukonRon said:
    texaswig said:
    Drunk if possible. 
    Yes
    Taken too many shots to the head over the years. I really do have problems with memory. I mean no harm. Thanks for the clarification.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Mickey said:
    YukonRon said:
    @Mickey
    Just one?
    Well there a Lone Star, just what is expected
    Shiner 
    Ok
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,836
    Options
    Definitely Shiner.

Or if any place you visit has beer from Adelbert's from Austin or Karbach from Houston - just drink it.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• SSQUAL612
    SSQUAL612 Posts: 1,186
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    YukonRon said:

YukonRon said:
    texaswig said:
    Drunk if possible. 
    Yes
    Taken too many shots to the head over the years. I really do have problems with memory. I mean no harm. Thanks for the clarification.
    You mean too many Bourbon Slushies. I was thinking In N Out too since I've been out here since the early 80's and don't remember Whataburger other than my TX trips & when I lived in Houston.   FYI...you can get In N Out in TX now.  We do have Raising Cane's popping up now in SoCal. 
    Tyler, TX   XL BGE 2016, KJ Classic 2019,  MES, 18.5 WSM,  Akorn Jr,  36"&17" Black Stone, Adj Rig, Woo, Grill Grates, SS Smokeware Cap, KAB,  FB 300, Thermapen 
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,618
    Options
    Maybe it was Fatburger.  I don't remember any bible quotes in an in-n-out, that sounds more like chic fil a.
  • YukonRon
    Options
    Legume said:
    Maybe it was Fatburger.  I don't remember any bible quotes in an in-n-out, that sounds more like chic fil a.
    I don't do chic file a, probably fat burger. Been concussionVille several times, memory is getting not great. Sorry, I have a very hard time with recall.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,618
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    Legume said:
    I don't do chic file a, probably fat burger. Been concussionVille several times, memory is getting not great. Sorry, I have a very hard time with recall.
    Me too Ron, me too.  

From all of the advice on here, your trip is likely too short by a couple of weeks.  If you do happen to stop at Garrison Bros. on the way out to or way back from F'burg, it's worth a stop in the Hye Market at the turn to the distillery (Hye-Albert Rd I think).  Funky place, lots of local stuff, including wine and beer and a deli that is far from traditional, some good prepared food to take with you.

If you all do congregate in town for some bbq with CenTex, let me know and I may crash if you want a little bigger mob.
  • YukonRon
    Options
    Legume said:
    YukonRon said:
    Legume said:
    Me too Ron, me too.  

From all of the advice on here, your trip is likely too short by a couple of weeks.  If you do happen to stop at Garrison Bros. on the way out to or way back from F'burg, it's worth a stop in the Hye Market at the turn to the distillery (Hye-Albert Rd I think).  Funky place, lots of local stuff, including wine and beer and a deli that is far from traditional, some good prepared food to take with you.

If you all do congregate in town for some bbq with CenTex, let me know and I may crash if you want a little bigger mob.
    Bigger mobs are the best, you are welcome to join us, I would like to meet everyone.
    Anybody wanting to drop in, let me know. We will figure something out.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • GoldenQ
    GoldenQ Posts: 566
    Options
    Luckenbach is not what it used to be but should be a must see for at least a few minutes
    I XL  and 1 Weber Kettle  And 1 Weber Q220       Outside Alvin, TX-- South of Houston
  • YukonRon
    Options
    GoldenQ said:
    Luckenbach is not what it used to be but should be a must see for at least a few minutes
    I am sure we will head through there. You just go to, kinda to pay tribute, right?

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky