Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Best lump,lighter fluid, and grill combo EVER!!!!!

Options
i had no idea what I was missing out on. This lump was amazing- and don't even get me started on the grill. The right touch of lighter fluid had this thing going in no time! If you guys ever get a chance to use this Lump/Grill/Fluid Combo I think you will swear off your Fancy Lump/Weed Burner/BGE obsession on the first try. 

First, get some of this:

Then, get some run-of-the-mill Tuscan veal raised a mile away from a guy who lives above his shop who hacks it with a giant curved cleaver right before he goes up for lunch and siesta. Total Crap ingredients but the lump made that magic happen!

Then, grab some chicken (I think) wrapped in Prosciutto; stuffed with eggplant (I think) and cheese (I sincerely hope) from the same guy. These would have been a total waste had we not found this magic lump and $99euro grill. 

Throw a little bagged pasta and some sort of stupid local cheese and "estate" (where we are cooking all this and sleeping) produced olive oil in a mix for what they like to call "Cacio e Pepe" and you have some sort  of peasant dish that is filling and will save you money (for more magic lump!).

A few Greens from the garden. potatoes roasted on the same lump and all topped off with (lots of) $8Euro a bottle estate produced  Montepulciano and you can really see where the lump and grill shine. You could barely taste the lighter fluid I used in the chimney to light the empty wax coated bag the lump came in. Magnifico!

Anyway- Tuscany is hot in the summer, full of bugs, people drink wine then sleep from 1-4pm every day, but they have AMAZING lump (and wine). We are suffering though the best we can

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX

Comments

• Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    Options
    Hang tough, man, hang tough.  You can pull through this if you endeavor to persevere.

Nice job considering you weren't able to get to a chain grocery store to get any good food for the grill.  
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    That meal DOES NOT SUCK!  You are the best impromptu magic maker I know!
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Yeah, sometimes you just need to be polite and say thanks for the meat even if it your run of the mill stuff as you described. Yep!
  • buzzvol
    buzzvol Posts: 534
    Options
    Roughing it for sure.  I mean just look at those wine glasses.
    Lawrenceville, GA
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    The struggle is real, but you can handle it. Carry on! That meat looks great. 
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    I'm so fortunate that I don't have to suffer through stuffing my pie hole with pedestrian fare like that.

Now where's my mac n cheese with the powdered cheese mix...

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • da87
    da87 Posts: 640
    Options
    Headed to Italy Friday and Tuscany a week later - looks like I have grilling plans!  Thanks for sharing @The Cen-Tex Smoker!  Did you make it to Officina Della Bistecca?
    Doug
    Wayne, PA
    LBGE, Weber Kettle (gifted to my sister), Weber Gasser

"Two things are infinite:  the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe"   Albert Einstein
  • jdkeithbge
    jdkeithbge Posts: 310
    Options
    Outstanding!  "Stupid local cheese..." Bring us back a few bottles of Fochista please!
    XL BGE, CGS AR & spider, 36" SS Blackstone, SMOBOT - Flower Mound, TX
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Options
    Food looks great!!!   Not sure I would use any type of lighter fluid in my egg as I noticed your grill was metal - still, I have come to greatly disdain the taste that most lighter fluids leave behind. 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,336
    Options
    Great setting and cook right there.  Most eggcellent.  Shaping up as quite a vacation.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    Options
    Yowza, does that look great. 

Does your Thermapen do C over there?
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX
  • td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,822
    Options
    @The Cent-Tex Smoker We all have our crosses to bear. Hope you make it through. 
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • SaintJohnsEgger
    SaintJohnsEgger Posts: 1,826
    Options
    We are all so glad that it is you suffering and not us.

That food looks delicious no mater how "run-of-the-mill" it was. Keep suffering.
    Marshall in Beautiful Fruit Cove, FL.
    MiniMax 04/17
    Unofficial BGE MiniMax Evangelist
    Facebook Big Green Egg MiniMax Owners Group

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Sounds like a concoction that would work great in the "Dishwasher".  Looks like your have a suck ass time :).  Sorry for that.  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,834
    Options
    Your martyrdom seems to have no limit.  Thanks for taking one for the team.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,611
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Spare us, please.  This really seems more appropriate for the Vision or Akorn forum.
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Well, whatever...
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    da87 said:
    Headed to Italy Friday and Tuscany a week later - looks like I have grilling plans!  Thanks for sharing @The Cen-Tex Smoker!  Did you make it to Officina Della Bistecca?
    Tomorrow. Cant wait. This was the same breed as Dario usies. It was incredible and the whole
    chop was like $20euro. The whole
    meal including 4 bottles of wine was like $75. Gteat place. I could disappear here and be happy
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    20stone said:
    Yowza, does that look great. 

Does your Thermapen do C over there?
    No egg, no Rockwood, and no thermapen. We somehow made it work. 
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    No egg, no Rockwood, and no thermapen. We somehow made it work. 
    This was the way of it for most of my life. Now I'm older and spoiled by modern conveniences. 
    On a seperate note, great looking grub. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Heroic is all that I comes to mind. Survival is what it is all about. Vai con dio.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
    that looks great!
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    So how much lump can you get in checked baggage?
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,834
    Options
    And how much lighter fluid?

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• BigSmoooke
    BigSmoooke Posts: 23
    Options

Look at that Veal Chop! Great cook and great comments, gave me a much needed chuckle

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options

Look at that Veal Chop! Great cook and great comments, gave me a much needed chuckle

It was killer! Just had a little fold over sammy after a day walking around in Siena. Fun day. 
  • Kcheves
    Kcheves Posts: 92
    Options

Food looks incredible.

We're also headed to Italy on Saturday, will be in Tuscany by the end of next week.  Thanks for the preview!

"Semper ubi sub ubi"

San Diego, CA

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I'll post a bunch of pics and notes of good stores, restaurants and wines we have found. I'm starting to get the feeling it's hard to find garbage here outside the clear tourist traps. I have been pleasantly surprised how few of those we have seen and how easy they are to spot compared with the areas we have travelled. We have spend very little time in Rome (36 hours) Naples *ferry connection to and from Ischia only), Florence *train station and car rental for Tuscany), and will spend our last 36 hours in Venice. All of those places are awesome but loaded with grifters and tourists. Tuscany has been amazing but that is more our style (laid back, smaller crowds, artisan food and wine from right here).