Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Best lesson you've learned (so far) using an Egg???

Options

Comments

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    Lighting the egg can get you out of chores
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,188
    Options
    The best advice I can give is that you don't need a bunch of accessories to put out some good grub. You simply need the ability to cook direct, raised direct and indirect. Couple that with a thermometer and you can produce consistent results. 

Know your egg. Understand how the vents affect the temps. Build a fire just for practice controlling temps.  No cooking here. 

If you can control the fire, the only thing you need to concern yourself with is when to take the food off. 

Things aren't as hard as they may seem to be.

Take risks, try new things... it's just food. Have fun. 
  • SaintJohnsEgger
    SaintJohnsEgger Posts: 1,826
    Options
    I think the best ting I learned was also the hardest for me - patience.

Don't rush things and catch the temperature on the way up. Make small adjustments and wait for them to take affect before making more adjustments.
    Marshall in Beautiful Fruit Cove, FL.
    MiniMax 04/17
    Unofficial BGE MiniMax Evangelist
    Facebook Big Green Egg MiniMax Owners Group

• Jameson19
    Jameson19 Posts: 354
    Options
    Light egg sooner rather than later, don't chase temps, burp the egg to prevent flash of fire, cook to temp, and buy an electronic controller for overnight pork shoulder and brisket cooks. 
    Large BGE, Adjustable Rig, Small BGE, 2 BBQ Guru's, 18" WSM, Rockwood, Stage 3 Roush Mustang and a hot wife... 

Las Vegas, Nevada!
  • littlemb8899
    Options
    I'm still learning hope I never stop but like its been said start slow but venture out try new things and never settle play until its perfect you can do it, it just takes time and a willingness to make it better. oh and enjoy the ride
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    The egg is just an oven outdoors. Anything you  or bake in an oven, you can do on a BGE.
    ^^^^^+++++1^^^^^^^ Truth
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Surveyor_Egg
    Options
    Don't overshoot your temperature.  It's much easier to go up than down with the heat of the cook.

------

1 Large BGE

Boston, MA

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    You don't need a standalone egg to bake in unless you've got (fill in the blank) ____'s $$$ :tongue:
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Options
    When the charcoal is ready to put food on. This is different for BBQ and direct grilling. 

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,491
    Options
    It is possible to completely burn yourself out on pizza.  If you're making them more than 4 times a week, back off, go eat some sushi or something.

Tin soldiers and Johnson's coming...

• gmac
    gmac Posts: 1,814
    Options
    You don't need a standalone egg to bake in unless you've got (fill in the blank) ____'s $$$ :tongue:
    According to recent posts, it appears to be Scotties. @SGH
    Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.
  • da87
    da87 Posts: 640
    Options
    Most important points have been well covered, so a couple of minor ones:
    - allow extra time on L&S, inevitably when you haven't the pig/cow decide they need extra time - more FTC or BPTC is better than too little
    - spray your daisy wheel with cooking spray once in a while and put it inside the egg on the grate when you shut down and cap
    - make it fun, laugh at yourself, and realize you learn more from your mistakes than successes
    Doug
    Wayne, PA
    LBGE, Weber Kettle (gifted to my sister), Weber Gasser

"Two things are infinite:  the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe"   Albert Einstein
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Mangrates are...
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,114
    Options
    Wish I could flag for hilarous.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • dougcrann
    dougcrann Posts: 1,129
    Options
    Agree with Ron, learn how to avoid the fire belch...lol...The flare is relatively easy to avoid. The one that I have no clue how it happened...and just glad it only happened once was when it beaches out the intake....scared the snot out of my dog. If someone could explain this to me please do so. I didn't have that much wood in the L. Was all fresh Lazzari Mesquite. Firebox was filled to about halfway up the side. Dome thermometer was at 700*. Had the Ceramic Grill Stores AR in it. 2 pizza stones, one in the middle notch the other on the extender. 
  • JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,541
    Options
    Patience to get your fire going and temps. I found lighting early (yes I'm retired) helps in so many ways...   and get a Thermapen
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    gmac said:
    I have been known to bend the truth from time to time. Unfortunately for me I'm still broke. With that said, if you had poor ole SGH's money, you would probably starve to death. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,114
    Options
    SGH said:
    gmac said:
    I have been known to bend the truth from time to time. Unfortunately for me I'm still broke. With that said, if you had poor ole SGH's money, you would probably starve to death. 
    At least you didn't mention your offal delicacy.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,767
    Options
    Don't purchase Egghead Forum Fad Products , it gets expensive and takes up space
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Don't joke about the French 
    Great point.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,846
    Options
    The best way to cook brisket is to boil it.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    If you overshoot your desired temp, you can pour 1/8-1/4 cup of water on the coals and the temps will come down quickly

it was stated above but when doing an overnight low and slow, start your fire 3-4 hours early. Let it get rock solid stable for a few hours then put your food on. You'll burn $1 extra of lump
    but you'll sleep a lot better and your egg will be right where you left it when you went to bed. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • booksw
    booksw Posts: 470
    Options
    Two things: The most important by far was something I learned long ago on the Forum from Lousubcap: "Enjoy the ride"

The second thing: A 'failed' cook on a BGE is generally still absolutely delicious.
    Charleston, SC

L/MiniMax Eggs
  • Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Options
    Do greens (spinach, kale, chard etc.) with onions, chilli and cumin seeds and you won't be throwing them in the trash.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Eoin said:
    Do greens (spinach, kale, chard etc.) with onions, chilli and cumin seeds and you won't be throwing them in the trash.
    I eat tons of greens. Was just kidding around. Like shooting fish in a barrel on a bbq fotum :smiley:
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,567
    Options
    Any cook over 60 minutes will need at least three beers so plan accordingly.

Like @shesgoteggs says, it is an outdoor oven and it also is an outdoor cooktop.
  • SandyHookEgger
    Options
    Patience to get your fire going and temps. I found lighting early (yes I'm retired) helps in so many ways...   and get a Thermapen
    Agree on the patience,lighting and Thermapen. Would add while temp comes sloooooowlllly up, it is a great time to drink alcohol.