Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Way off topic. Atlanta interstate fire.

Options
epcotisbest
epcotisbest Posts: 2,171
Watching this on the ATL news tonight. It is crazy. A section of the interstate collapsed. An awful commute just got crazier. Praying there was no one hurt. Near Piedmont Road and Monroe Drive. They have reversed lanes on the interstate to try to get stuck commuters out of there. Good job GSP and GDOT. It is gonna take some time, but better than those commuters sitting in traffic all night.

Comments

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,171
    Options
    Unfortunately I'm not surprised. The infrastructure around here is terrible. 
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Makes me glad I'm 80 mi up the road. 
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,346
    Options
    Well to be fair... a huge fire under a bridge causing a section of it to collapse isn't necessarily reflective of the overall state of the infrastructure.

I was watching that a few hours ago - was a pretty nasty fire. Would have hated to be downwind from that.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    This is gonna be a Yuge problem until it's remedied.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    Traffic will increase bigly on the surface streets. 
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    I think Atlanta should quickly install fireproofing on the underside of all the bridges and dry system sprinklers to boot. 
  • DaveRichardson
    DaveRichardson Posts: 2,324
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I think Atlanta should quickly install fireproofing on the underside of all the bridges and dry system sprinklers to boot. 
    And plumb it to warm the surfaces during our infamous ice jams!

i drive this section daily!  The suck factor is unfathomable right now!  

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• theyolksonyou
    Options

THen you a helluva commute!
  • epcotisbest
    Options

Yeah, tomorrow morning is going to be crazy. I drive that stretch every now and then on the way to the airport and back and traffic there is always heavy. WSB-TV says no firefighters or commuters hurt. 
  • DoubleEgger
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    Well to be fair... a huge fire under a bridge causing a section of it to collapse isn't necessarily reflective of the overall state of the infrastructure.

I was watching that a few hours ago - was a pretty nasty fire. Would have hated to be downwind from that.
    I've driven that road under the bridge for many years. That bridge has been a piece of crap for two decades. 
  • Thomasc18
    Thomasc18 Posts: 197
    Options
    Crazy!  Can't imagine how bad the traffic will be now
    Madison, AL
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    My daughter says my SIL was right in the thick of it. Looking forward to seeing some of his pictures. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Wolfie51sb
    Wolfie51sb Posts: 267
    Options
    Guessing the forthcoming repair can be considered a "shovel ready" job?

Rob

Columbus, Ohio

• Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,296
    Options
    I have had to replace a bridge that happened to. Fortunately it was a secondary road. If the piles, columns, and caps aren't damaged the span could be replaced in as little as a month. It is the substructure that takes time. A fire that is on top of a bridge does relatively little damage. 
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    Huh? wouldn't 3" table stands do the trick instead??? JUST kidding, Pete!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    My daughter says my SIL was right in the thick of it. Looking forward to seeing some of his pictures. 
    It took me a while to understand why your sister in law was a he. Guess you old guys with married daughters have a different definition. 
  • northGAcock
    Options
    It took me a while to understand why your sister in law was a he. Guess you old guys with married daughters have a different definition. 
    Son-In-Law. Not sure about how they do it in north Georgia. 

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    sad!
    NBCnews.com said authorities believe a large amount of PVC pipe stored under the bridge ignited. If so, that must've been a hell of a lot of pipe.
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,296
    Options
    Sounds like some companies insurance is going to be none too happy. Probably some punk kid with a Bic lighter had some fun. 
  • DoubleEgger
    Options
    A friend of mine took this pic. 
  • epcotisbest
    Options
    NBCnews.com said authorities believe a large amount of PVC pipe stored under the bridge ignited. If so, that must've been a hell of a lot of pipe.

Here is a photo from 11Alive news of the area. 
    Just saw @DoubleEgger pic. That must have been not long after it started. Amazing photo. Thanks for sharing.
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    Working from home today!

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • northGAcock
    Options
    JRWhitee said:
    Working from home today!
    Me too.

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,947
    Options
    y'all better leave now if you want to make it to the Butt Blast
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    JRWhitee said:
    Working from home today!
    Me too.
    Oh geez. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,753
    edited March 2017
    Options
    if that was in mass, maybe 3 to 5 years to fix, in maine a couple weeks. how fast does things get done in georgia
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    I can go that way to work but usually take the perimeter.  Left at 6:30am today and it was as busy as 7:30-8am.  DOT checked the damage and saying both North and South sections require replacement.  Going to be a long few months!!!

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA