Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Way off topic. Atlanta interstate fire.

Options

Comments

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    If it were a toll road, it would be repaired in a couple weeks. 
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    3 sections north and 3 sections south will have to be replaced - "several months".  And all this on a section of interstate that is used by 225,000 vehicles per day.   :|

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    3 sections north and 3 sections south will have to be replaced - "several months".  And all this on a section of interstate that is used by 225,000 vehicles per day.   :|
    I will bet that covers the planning and engineering phase. My guess is open by Thanksgiving and quadruple the normal cost.
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,304
    Options
    What engineering phase? You just pull up the final plans from the original construction, mark the areas that need to be replaced, and place an emergency advertisement for bids. The only problem would be if FHWA or the state legislatures are being difficult. Having both directions shut down actually makes it easier. No lookie loos and boy racers to deal with. We did a similar section after Katrina in three weeks. 
  • pgprescott
    Options
    What engineering phase? You just pull up the final plans from the original construction, mark the areas that need to be replaced, and place an emergency advertisement for bids. The only problem would be if FHWA or the state legislatures are being difficult. Having both directions shut down actually makes it easier. No lookie loos and boy racers to deal with. We did a similar section after Katrina in three weeks. 
    LOL!

So, I will assume there is collateral damage to the surrounding and existing structure. There will need to be some pretty good inspections done to determine the extent of demolition required. Then there will need to be engineering done to determine the affect of the demo on the structure to remain. Then there will need to be engineering done and submitted by the contractors after the documents are prepared and the bidding is complete that show exactly how they intend to demolish the structure. This will include weights procedures, handling of materials etc. It's not quite as simple as one might think. If you close the whole thing down and completely demolish the entire structure and rebuild, it will be faster, but three weeks is ridiculous. These materials aren't just sitting on a shelf at Menards. Beams have to be made. It would be irresponsible not to have oversight and review of the construction. That's how things fall down. 

I will bet you a beer that I'm closer than you are.
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    LOL!

So, I will assume there is collateral damage to the surrounding and existing structure. There will need to be some pretty good inspections done to determine the extent of demolition required. Then there will need to be engineering done to determine the affect of the demo on the structure to remain. Then there will need to be engineering done and submitted by the contractors after the documents are prepared and the bidding is complete that show exactly how they intend to demolish the structure. This will include weights procedures, handling of materials etc. It's not quite as simple as one might think. If you close the whole thing down and completely demolish the entire structure and rebuild, it will be faster, but three weeks is ridiculous. These materials aren't just sitting on a shelf at Menards. Beams have to be made. It would be irresponsible not to have oversight and review of the construction. That's how things fall down. 

I did this work as a Civil Engineer for 35 years for MDOT. The prestressed beams are a standard stock item, so is the concrete and steel. The beams are standard sizes and can be shipped in from surrounding states, they actually take a week to make but our prestress plant usually has some in stock. The regulations as to construction and demolition are in the state Manual of Standard Specifications. The original plans include the concrete and steel needed per linear foot of deck, the bearing pads that were used etc. If GDOT can't evaluate the extent of the damage in a week or less then Georgia really has problems. Personally I think they can though.The contractor will have to submit the beam grades in order to allow for construction sag but that can be done in days while the materials are being shipped in. As to the oversight that is the responsibility of GDOT and they employ engineers and technicians.
  • pgprescott
    Options
    LOL!

I did this work as a Civil Engineer for 35 years for MDOT. The prestressed beams are a standard stock item, so is the concrete and steel. The beams are standard sizes and can be shipped in from surrounding states, they actually take a week to make but our prestress plant usually has some in stock. The regulations as to construction and demolition are in the state Manual of Standard Specifications. The original plans include the concrete and steel needed per linear foot of deck, the bearing pads that were used etc. If GDOT can't evaluate the extent of the damage in a week or less then Georgia really has problems. Personally I think they can though.The contractor will have to submit the beam grades in order to allow for construction sag but that can be done in days while the materials are being shipped in. As to the oversight that is the responsibility of GDOT and they employ engineers and technicians.
    Doesn't work that way in Illinois. Hell, just the bolt testing would take 8 weeks. Ain't nothing standard or stock up here. Offer stands for a beer. I hope you are right BTW. 
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    LOL!

Doesn't work that way in Illinois. Hell, just the bolt testing would take 8 weeks. Ain't nothing standard or stock up here. Offer stands for a beer. I hope you are right BTW. 
    Well that's because in our great stat of Illinois it takes politicians a week just to tie their own shoes.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• DoubleEgger
    Options
    LOL!

Mic dropped 
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    This hasn't been mentioned, but was it a Sherman tank that set fire to the bridge?
  • DoubleEgger
    Options
    This hasn't been mentioned, but was it a Sherman tank that set fire to the bridge?
    I figured the bridge was stressed from all of the Yankees that are flocking south to escape the northeast. 
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    Sherman was vacationing in Atlanta again. #HotTimeintheCity.
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Options

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• Eggdicted_Dawgfan
    Options
    Sounds like they have arrested 3 people. Wouldn't want to be facing those charges. 
    Snellville, GA

• DaveRichardson
    DaveRichardson Posts: 2,324
    Options

I have hung up my commuting for the foreseeable future....  Airport or College Park MARTA station for me to the Medical Center station....  Still took an hour on the train, plus a 1/2 mile walk from the station to my building.....  I might be skinny by the end of the summer!!!!!

Are there rules about concealed carrying on MARTA?  I guess I should look that up!!!!

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,977
    Options
    Sounds like they have arrested 3 people. Wouldn't want to be facing those charges. 

"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    I figured the bridge was stressed from all of the Yankees that are flocking south to escape the northeast. 
    Yankees fans are the WORST!
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    Yankees fans are the WORST!
    Red Sox fans are pretty insufferable too.  

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• Markarm4119
    Markarm4119 Posts: 526
    Options
    The Russians did it, no it was Bush's fault, yeah that's the ticket ! But we do have the 2 newest stadiums on the planet !
    LBGE, and just enough knowledge and gadgets to be dangerous .
    Buford,Ga.
  • DoubleEgger
    Options
    The Russians did it, no it was Bush's fault, yeah that's the ticket ! But we do have the 2 newest stadiums on the planet !
    And one was the shadiest deal in sports history. 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,094
    Options
    LOL!

Well that's because in our great stat of Illinois it takes politicians a week just to tie their own shoes.
    They don't tie their own shoes, silly.  Politician shoe-tyer is a union job with full pension&medical after 7 years.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • DaveRichardson
    DaveRichardson Posts: 2,324
    Options

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• epcotisbest
    epcotisbest Posts: 2,174
    Options
    I read this highly informative AP headline this morning. Sorta like saying the sky is blue.

Fans avoid closed interstate to attend Braves' stadium debut

Good to know they avoided the closed interstate, as actually using it might have posed a problem. But, I am no expert, just guessing.
  • DoubleEgger
    Options
    I read this highly informative AP headline this morning. Sorta like saying the sky is blue.

Fans avoid closed interstate to attend Braves' stadium debut

Good to know they avoided the closed interstate, as actually using it might have posed a problem. But, I am no expert, just guessing.
    Funny that there's absolutely no reason to ever be on that section of interstate to go to the new Braves Stadium. 
  • danv23
    danv23 Posts: 953
    Options
    Revised.  North AND South sections to be replaced.  400,000 cars per day.  Glad to be north of it in Cumming.

The DudeThis is a very complicated case, Maude. You know, a lotta ins, lotta outs, lotta what-have-you's. And, uh, lotta strands to keep in my head, man. Lotta strands in old Duder's head. Luckily I'm adhering to a pretty strict, uh, drug regimen to keep my mind, you know, limber.

Walter SobchakNihilists! *uck me. I mean, say what you want about the tenets of National Socialism, Dude, at least it's an ethos. 

Cumming, GA

Eggs - XL, L, Small

Gasser - Weber Summit 6 Burner