Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

OT - Way off topic. Atlanta interstate fire.

epcotisbestepcotisbest Posts: 1,942
Watching this on the ATL news tonight. It is crazy. A section of the interstate collapsed. An awful commute just got crazier. Praying there was no one hurt. Near Piedmont Road and Monroe Drive. They have reversed lanes on the interstate to try to get stuck commuters out of there. Good job GSP and GDOT. It is gonna take some time, but better than those commuters sitting in traffic all night.

Comments

• DoubleEggerDoubleEgger Posts: 11,955
    Unfortunately I'm not surprised. The infrastructure around here is terrible. 
  • theyolksonyoutheyolksonyou Posts: 16,206
    Makes me glad I'm 80 mi up the road. 
    Jason NW GA- home of carpet and Mexican restaurants
    LBGE, MM, BS (Blackstone and the other kind)
    One sorry Labrador

My chili did not suck. 
  • HeavyGHeavyG Posts: 4,936
    Well to be fair... a huge fire under a bridge causing a section of it to collapse isn't necessarily reflective of the overall state of the infrastructure.

I was watching that a few hours ago - was a pretty nasty fire. Would have hated to be downwind from that.
    Camped out in the (757/804)
  • bgebrentbgebrent Posts: 16,485
    This is gonna be a Yuge problem until it's remedied.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
    Traffic will increase bigly on the surface streets. 
    One sorry Labrador

My chili did not suck. 
  • pgprescottpgprescott Posts: 10,535
    I think Atlanta should quickly install fireproofing on the underside of all the bridges and dry system sprinklers to boot. 
  • DaveRichardsonDaveRichardson Posts: 2,316
    edited March 2017
    I think Atlanta should quickly install fireproofing on the underside of all the bridges and dry system sprinklers to boot. 
    And plumb it to warm the surfaces during our infamous ice jams!

i drive this section daily!  The suck factor is unfathomable right now!  

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

THen you a helluva commute!
    One sorry Labrador

My chili did not suck. 
  • epcotisbestepcotisbest Posts: 1,942

Yeah, tomorrow morning is going to be crazy. I drive that stretch every now and then on the way to the airport and back and traffic there is always heavy. WSB-TV says no firefighters or commuters hurt. 
    HeavyG said:
    Well to be fair... a huge fire under a bridge causing a section of it to collapse isn't necessarily reflective of the overall state of the infrastructure.

I was watching that a few hours ago - was a pretty nasty fire. Would have hated to be downwind from that.
    I've driven that road under the bridge for many years. That bridge has been a piece of crap for two decades. 
  • Thomasc18Thomasc18 Posts: 162
    Crazy!  Can't imagine how bad the traffic will be now
    Madison, AL
  • northGAcocknorthGAcock Posts: 10,025
    My daughter says my SIL was right in the thick of it. Looking forward to seeing some of his pictures. 
    Columbia, South Carolina with a Medium, MiniMax & a 17" Blackstone

Talk-in' 'bout, hey now! Hey now! I-ko, I-ko, un-day
    Jock-a-mo fee-no ai na-né, jock-a-mo fee na-né

• Wolfie51sbWolfie51sb Posts: 259
    Guessing the forthcoming repair can be considered a "shovel ready" job?

Rob

Columbus, Ohio

• GulfcoastguyGulfcoastguy Posts: 1,659
    I have had to replace a bridge that happened to. Fortunately it was a secondary road. If the piles, columns, and caps aren't damaged the span could be replaced in as little as a month. It is the substructure that takes time. A fire that is on top of a bridge does relatively little damage. 
  • RRPRRP Posts: 22,050
    Huh? wouldn't 3" table stands do the trick instead??? JUST kidding, Pete!
    L, M, S, &  Mini
    And oh yes...also a 17" BlackStone gas fired griddle! 
    Ron
    Dunlap, IL
    Re- gasketing AMERICA one yard at a time!
    My daughter says my SIL was right in the thick of it. Looking forward to seeing some of his pictures. 
    It took me a while to understand why your sister in law was a he. Guess you old guys with married daughters have a different definition. 
    One sorry Labrador

My chili did not suck. 
    It took me a while to understand why your sister in law was a he. Guess you old guys with married daughters have a different definition. 
    Son-In-Law. Not sure about how they do it in north Georgia. 

• nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 26,663
    sad!

• NBCnews.com said authorities believe a large amount of PVC pipe stored under the bridge ignited. If so, that must've been a hell of a lot of pipe.
  • GulfcoastguyGulfcoastguy Posts: 1,659
    Sounds like some companies insurance is going to be none too happy. Probably some punk kid with a Bic lighter had some fun. 
    A friend of mine took this pic. 
  • epcotisbestepcotisbest Posts: 1,942
    NBCnews.com said authorities believe a large amount of PVC pipe stored under the bridge ignited. If so, that must've been a hell of a lot of pipe.

Here is a photo from 11Alive news of the area. 
    Just saw @DoubleEgger pic. That must have been not long after it started. Amazing photo. Thanks for sharing.
  • JRWhiteeJRWhitee Posts: 4,496
    Working from home today!

Large BGE 2006, Mini Max 2014, 36" Blackstone, Anova Sous Vide
    Green Man Group 
    Johns Creek, Georgia
    JRWhitee said:
    Working from home today!
    Me too.

• JohnInCarolinaJohnInCarolina Posts: 11,573
    y'all better leave now if you want to make it to the Butt Blast
    "If the world is something you accept rather than interpret, then you're susceptible to the influence of charismatic idiots." - NdGT

"The truth is, these are not very bright guys, and things got out of hand." - DT

• JeremiahJeremiah Posts: 5,685
    JRWhitee said:
    Working from home today!
    Me too.
    Oh geez. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • fishlessmanfishlessman Posts: 23,002
    edited March 2017
    if that was in mass, maybe 3 to 5 years to fix, in maine a couple weeks. how fast does things get done in georgia
  • GATravellerGATraveller Posts: 5,409
    I can go that way to work but usually take the perimeter.  Left at 6:30am today and it was as busy as 7:30-8am.  DOT checked the damage and saying both North and South sections require replacement.  Going to be a long few months!!!

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA