Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Is BGE really falling behind?

Options

Comments

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    alynd said:
    blasting said:
    alynd said:
    for what it's worth, BGE outsells KJ closer to 2:1 than 4:1 as previously stated.  

I recently discovered that not all statements of fact on the internet are true.  

This one is highly suspect - private companies don't usually release sales figures to the public

i used to work for one of said private companies so it's a pretty educated estimate.
    How many units does KJ sell. I want an educated guess please. 
  • alynd
    alynd Posts: 130
    Options
    I'm not interested in getting into a pissing match over who knows what. If you don't think I know what I'm talking about then so be it. 
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

@alynd   I just want you to know, I wasn't suggesting you were being untruthful.  I'm sure there are rumors in the kamado biz, and no doubt you are privy to more than I.  My point was simply that the only one who knows the truth is the upper management of the company itself.

I've been the decision maker of several companies, and we've always held sales volume figures close to the chest.  Sometimes I'd hear rumors about my companies - it was interesting to hear what was going around.

Phoenix 
  • snoqualmiesmoker
    Options
    owned both and both are good.  Sure the Big Joe is better designed than the XL (deeper which helps a ton, and Ive owned and cooked on both) but when your essentially taking others ideas and shipping them to china, well that says so much about the company you run. Essentially they took the bester upgrade people do to their eggs, other ideas from the boards, like  and conquer (ceramic grill store), the new cap (smoke ware), joe blower (the looflighter ), and just copied them in China, offer them at a steep discount.  Capitalism at its best.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    I'll answer this ponderous question once I return from the Kamado Joe Fest :rofl:
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Options
    ^^correct^^ 

To the point of being cultish. Costco's profit is basically their membership fees. 
  • Jameson19
    Jameson19 Posts: 354
    Options
    Jameson19 said:
    Is this turning into the everlasting debate between Mustang vs Camaro? 

Ill admit it, I'm a brand slut, and once I like a certain brand, I'll stick with it until I get screwed. Can KJ cook an outstanding brisket, burger or couple of dogs? Sure. Personal preference...

It's all another reason I love my stage 3 Roush mustang... Are there faster cars, sure. Can those drivers out drive me? Probably not. 

Time me for another bourbon to wash down the double tri-tips I just smoked on my large BIG GREEN EGG!!! 
    Pic of the Mustang? 

Large BGE, Adjustable Rig, Small BGE, 2 BBQ Guru's, 18" WSM, Rockwood, Stage 3 Roush Mustang and a hot wife... 

Las Vegas, Nevada!
  • clifkincaid
    clifkincaid Posts: 572
    Options
    Jameson19 said:
    Jameson19 said:
    Is this turning into the everlasting debate between Mustang vs Camaro? 

Ill admit it, I'm a brand slut, and once I like a certain brand, I'll stick with it until I get screwed. Can KJ cook an outstanding brisket, burger or couple of dogs? Sure. Personal preference...

It's all another reason I love my stage 3 Roush mustang... Are there faster cars, sure. Can those drivers out drive me? Probably not. 

Time me for another bourbon to wash down the double tri-tips I just smoked on my large BIG GREEN EGG!!! 
    Pic of the Mustang? 

Very nice ride
  • distanceman
    distanceman Posts: 138
    Options
    alynd said:
    for what it's worth, BGE outsells KJ closer to 2:1 than 4:1 as previously stated.  
    That may be true, but I was basing 4:1 off a post from the KJ CEO on the KJ Facebook page a few months ago.
    Located Middle GA

Current: XL w/ Woo & 17" Half Moon Plates, SMOBOT

RIP: Weber 22" Kettle, Slow 'n Sear, Akorn Jr., Pit Barrel Cooker
  • snoqualmiesmoker
    Options
    Don't sleep on the Costco factor helping KJ sales and loyalty. Many Costco shoppers will buy anything Costco sells without doing research first figuring that Costco has already done it for them. 
    Hence why so many Traegers are sold there. 
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    I didn't at first, but do now, blindly trust Costco quality - I'm still yet to be disappointed by a Costco purchase - it doesn't hurt to know that the day I am I can return no questions asked 
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • bboulier
    bboulier Posts: 558
    Options
    My first ceramic grill was medium BGE.   My second was a KJ Classic.  Both are fine grills.  I think the BGE is more fuel efficient, but that is a small factor.     When I make recommendations to those who considering ceramic grills, I usually suggest the KJ Classic. The price of the KJ Classic (including the divide and conquer system, grate gripper, ash tool, eggmate sides, etc.) is just much lower than the standard BGE plus all the extras one needs to have good performance.   For those who are Primo fans, my first preference was a Primo for its design, but the price was just too high.
    Weber Kettle, Weber Genesis Silver B, Medium Egg, KJ Classic (Black)
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    bboulier said:
    My first ceramic grill was medium BGE.   My second was a KJ Classic.  Both are fine grills.  I think the BGE is more fuel efficient, but that is a small factor.     When I make recommendations to those who considering ceramic grills, I usually suggest the KJ Classic. The price of the KJ Classic (including the divide and conquer system, grate gripper, ash tool, eggmate sides, etc.) is just much lower than the standard BGE plus all the extras one needs to have good performance.   For those who are Primo fans, my first preference was a Primo for its design, but the price was just too high.
    No higher than the new KJ. Less   
  • bosco0633
    bosco0633 Posts: 383
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I owned 6 Kamado Joes at one point and now currently own a 23" and 32" Komodo Kamado. 

I have never owned a BGE but I will state that BGE is what got me into the market.  I wanted a BGE badly but had little to no experience with grilling and charcoal.  (I like to think that I have an understanding now). 

My decision to go to KJ was based on value.  They sold a reasonable product at a cheaper rate plus everything was included unlike the BGE.  

I have seen KJ evolve and the loyal brand following has become cult like just like BGE.  

I truly believe that that there isn't much difference as they will produce great food and have minimal differences.  

I call BGE, KJ and Primo the big 3.  They are the top commercial selling Kamado's on the market.  I would relate them to ford, Chevrolet and Chrysler.  

Brand loyalty creates a we are are better than you mentality but they are all ceramic and do good things to our food.  

BGE is tried tested and true.  They have been around the longest and make a great product.  I didn't like dealer support as I wanted to get things immediately for warranty.  

KJ is the new kid on the block and has excellent customer service and all warranties are handled by the company and free ship to the door.  I like that option plus they are willing to evolve with the times.  I agree it's not innovation because they are not inventing the will.... they are listening to customers and responding to their wishes to make a better grill.  

Primo is made in the USA and the oval design is really great for dual zone cooking.  I think the KJ divide and concur has made them the better dual zone cooking device.  Customer support is not great from what I have read and you pay to ship warranty items.  

The Komodo Kamado is in the eye of the beholder.  You love the look or you hate them.  I can give you 10 reasons why these grills are superior in every aspect but that's not what this is about.  The upgrade to the KK was because I was tired of cracked fire box(clay design issues) and gasket repairs etc.  

I challenge you to find a negative criticism on the internet with respect to the KK.  It truly is the most innovative and over engineered cooker on the market. KK is INNOVATIVE 100%.  Dennis has evolved the design with NASA designed aerogel to help keep heat in and allow you to touch the outside of the grill at high heats.  He uses special refractory cement with technology to prevent cracks.  He created self opening lids before others, built in rotisserie, three rows of grilling, etc etc.  The KK may not appeal to your eye for some but you can't argue the technology of the product. I have owned mine for 2 years and have yet to have an issue.  

I will also add that I am loving pellet smoking currently too.  It's different than Kamado cooking but I don't care. I love cooking and will bang out great meals on anything I cook on.  

I think BGE really needs to start focusing on the market.  I see traeger evolving with design and targeting the younger generation of grillers through an aggressive marketing campaign.  This is what sells grills.  BGE can't rely on its reputation and length of time being in business to continue to grow and sell.  They will be around forever and deserve the respect of being the top Kamado sales company, but need to step into the game more so.  

Thats just my .2
  • bigbadben
    bigbadben Posts: 397
    Options
    bosco0633 said:
    I owned 6 Kamado Joes at one point and now currently own a 23" and 32" Komodo Kamado. 

I have never owned a BGE but I will state that BGE is what got me into the market.  I wanted a BGE badly but had little to no experience with grilling and charcoal.  (I like to think that I have an understanding now). 

My decision to go to KJ was based on value.  They sold a reasonable product at a cheaper rate plus everything was included unlike the BGE.  

I have seen KJ evolve and the loyal brand following has become cult like just like BGE.  

I truly believe that that there isn't much difference as they will produce great food and have minimal differences.  

I call BGE, KJ and Primo the big 3.  They are the top commercial selling Kamado's on the market.  I would relate them to ford, Chevrolet and Chrysler.  

Brand loyalty creates a we are are better than you mentality but they are all ceramic and do good things to our food.  

BGE is tried tested and true.  They have been around the longest and make a great product.  I didn't like dealer support as I wanted to get things immediately for warranty.  

KJ is the new kid on the block and has excellent customer service and all warranties are handled by the company and free ship to the door.  I like that option plus they are willing to evolve with the times.  I agree it's not innovation because they are not inventing the will.... they are listening to customers and responding to their wishes to make a better grill.  

Primo is made in the USA and the oval design is really great for dual zone cooking.  I think the KJ divide and concur has made them the better dual zone cooking device.  Customer support is not great from what I have read and you pay to ship warranty items.  

The Komodo Kamado is in the eye of the beholder.  You love the look or you hate them.  I can give you 10 reasons why these grills are superior in every aspect but that's not what this is about.  The upgrade to the KK was because I was tired of cracked fire box(clay design issues) and gasket repairs etc.  

I challenge you to find a negative criticism on the internet with respect to the KK.  It truly is the most innovative and over engineered cooker on the market. KK is INNOVATIVE 100%.  Dennis has evolved the design with NASA designed aerogel to help keep heat in and allow you to touch the outside of the grill at high heats.  He uses special refractory cement with technology to prevent cracks.  He created self opening lids before others, built in rotisserie, three rows of grilling, etc etc.  The KK may not appeal to your eye for some but you can't argue the technology of the product. I have owned mine for 2 years and have yet to have an issue.  

I will also add that I am loving pellet smoking currently too.  It's different than Kamado cooking but I don't care. I love cooking and will bang out great meals on anything I cook on.  

I think BGE really needs to start focusing on the market.  I see traeger evolving with design and targeting the younger generation of grillers through an aggressive marketing campaign.  This is what sells grills.  BGE can't rely on its reputation and length of time being in business to continue to grow and sell.  They will be around forever and deserve the respect of being the top Kamado sales company, but need to step into the game more so.  

Thats just my .2
    You found this thread on FB too huh? 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    Options
    im just waiting for rtic to storm the market with 300 dollar XL kamados =)  if they can do yeti knockoffs, they can build a flower pot grill
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    If BGE wanted to make some serious scrilla they would make the chiminea again!
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    edited March 2017
    Options
    YEMTrey said:
    I agree - and I know I would buy one this time! How 'bout it Hotlanta? Anybody got your ears on????
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    RRP said:
    YEMTrey said:
    I agree - and I know I would buy one this time! How 'bout it Hotlanta? Anybody got your ears on????
    People here laugh at people that call it Hotlanta. 
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    edited March 2017
    Options
    alynd said:
    @alynd      One with Costco, one without Costco

t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    edited March 2017
    Options
    bosco0633 said:

@bosco     why do you think kjoe's divide and conquer is a better dual zone cooking device.  I am interested to know because I've cooked on both primo and kjoe.

t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • jeponline
    jeponline Posts: 290
    Options
    bosco0633 said:

Isn't KJ more like Kia?  Made in an Asian country, stealing features from other manufacturers and calling themselves luxury?
    Large BGE
    Huntsville, AL
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,615
    Options
    I don't know about stealing features or whatever, but they've not been the leader and they don't have the name recognition or brand of BGE, so they have to compete on value.  I think the new features (and new pricing) signal a shift in their approach from 'same for less' to 'more for same' or something like that. 
  • TN_Sister_State
    Options
    Hans61 said:
    Primo has the same divide and conquer as kj right? 
    It's oval and far superior for two zone cooking. Far superior. 
    If I was going to get a non-Cadillac/non-egg kamado, I'd do Primo first. 
    My FIL has a primo and loves it. He got it due to an insanely good deal from his pool guy he has known for 20 years.  I want to cook on it one time to test out that duel zone he has. 
    Franklin, Tn
    LBGE - Cast Iron Grate - Flameboss 300 - BGEtisserie

• PlanSB
    PlanSB Posts: 90
    Options
    My biggest issue with BGE is the lack of standard pricing.  I know for a fact that one of my local dealers rips unknowledgeable customers off.  Just list the damn MSRPs on the website, BGE gives the dealers too much room to take advantage of customers, imo. 
  • vb4677
    vb4677 Posts: 686
    Options
    All I know is I tell people I got a BGE last summer and they are instantly envious.  And not one has ever asked why I didn't get a KJ... or whatever
    Kansas City: Too Much City for One State - Missouri side
    2 Large BGE's, Instant Pot, Anova Sous Vide, and a gas smoker...
    Barbeque, Homebrew and Blues...
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,615
    Options

PlanSB said:
    My biggest issue with BGE is the lack of standard pricing.  I know for a fact that one of my local dealers rips unknowledgeable customers off.  Just list the damn MSRPs on the website, BGE gives the dealers too much room to take advantage of customers, imo. 
    Well, the flipside of that is fixed pricing where dealers can't offer discounts.  I paid less for my XL than the standard price.  But I agree, ripping off customers sucks.  if there are multiple dealers in an area, this shouldn't be a problem with a little comparison shopping.
  • TN_Sister_State
    Options
    owned both and both are good.  Sure the Big Joe is better designed than the XL (deeper which helps a ton, and Ive owned and cooked on both) but when your essentially taking others ideas and shipping them to china, well that says so much about the company you run. Essentially they took the bester upgrade people do to their eggs, other ideas from the boards, like  and conquer (ceramic grill store), the new cap (smoke ware), joe blower (the looflighter ), and just copied them in China, offer them at a steep discount.  Capitalism at its best.
    This is exactly what i was thinking. Their "innovations" are others ideas simply copied. I have no dog in this fight and even told a friend looking to buy that they are basically equals. Pic the color you like better. 
    Franklin, Tn
    LBGE - Cast Iron Grate - Flameboss 300 - BGEtisserie