Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Is BGE really falling behind?

Options

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    tjv said:
    @SGH  Grilla's Kong Ceramic Grill is the same as Dansons' (Louisiana Grills) Pit Boss Ceramic Grill except the Kong's warranty is only 4 years.  I'd never buy a ceramic grill with only a 4 year warranty over the internet.

t
    I agree. I was just stirring the proverbial kamado pot a little. Now that we have called a moratorium on politics, I get bored from time to time.  

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Thomasc18
    Thomasc18 Posts: 197
    Options
    I currently own a med egg. Looking to purchase a large egg, but I've also been looking at kj and grills kongs. Anyone try a kong?  A mini max also looks really nice. Decisions decisions. 
    Madison, AL
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    My hope and expectation is that they have a sustainable business model. My interest here is to ensure they are around to support any warranted claims i may have. I have purchased a BGE. I don't have much to say or care for there business successes other than supporting my existing or future purchases. That is all I have to say about that.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,359
    Options
    Thomasc18 said:
    I currently own a med egg. Looking to purchase a large egg, but I've also been looking at kj and grills kongs. Anyone try a kong?  A mini max also looks really nice. Decisions decisions. 
    Get a Blaze kamado. Over on another forum there a re a few people that have gotten them and they seem pretty impressive - no worries about rust, cracks, gaskets.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,801
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    Thomasc18 said:
    Get a Blaze kamado. Over on another forum there a re a few people that have gotten them and they seem pretty impressive - no worries about rust, cracks, gaskets.
    how about melting during 1200 degree plus pizza cooks or did they limit upper temps with the smaller lower venting =)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • PatBateman
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    ewyllins said:
    I kinda like the fact that I had to purchase my BGE from a local dealer and not from a big box store. I like that about BGE, not there this anything wrong with big box store its just when I'm spending the amount of cake for one of these I would just like a little attention. Just my opinion. 
    BGE grills pop up at Sam's Club on a regular basis. Is that better or worse than a big box store?
    Fairly sure these carry no warranty when purchased at Sams.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,909
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    Thomasc18 said:
    how about melting during 1200 degree plus pizza cooks or did they limit upper temps with the smaller lower venting =)
    At $1,800 then melting would frost you wouldn't it? Or even worst at $2,300 MSRP
  • Thomasc18
    Thomasc18 Posts: 197
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    Thomasc18 said:
    They look interesting.  A little pricey. 
    Madison, AL
  • fishlessman
    edited March 2017
    Options
    RRP said:
    HeavyG said:
    Thomasc18 said:
    At $1,800 then melting would frost you wouldn't it? Or even worst at $2,300 MSRP
    it would be my luck to melt the first one =) Aluminum Alloy melts at 463 - 671c 865 - 1240f
    fukahwee maine

• Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Options
    This was in my email from Home Depot this morning. 

http://www.homedepot.com/b/Outdoors-Outdoor-Cooking-Grills-Charcoal-Grills-Kamado-Grills/N-5yc1vZcfb c 

I'm not interested, but these sound like pretty good deals (with the emphasis on 'sound.')

Wonder where Home Depot's Eggfest is being held! 

Oh, and try asking how they work from the guy who handles that department.

And be sure to ask where you take them for a warranty repair.

Spring "Eighteen Years Green" Chicken 
    Spring Texas USA
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,629
    Options
    For some people, the grass is always greener somewhere else.
  • Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I'm not interested in buying cheap and buying twice. I'm also not interested in making second best work. The Egg has been amazing, I did BBW twice a year before and now cooked maybe 70 meals on the Egg in 3 months in the winter. If it had been a bit sh1t I wouldn't have spent this amount of time cooking on it or enjoyed cooking on it or enjoyed this forum.

Edit: Shopping tomorrow, MMX first on the list.
  • HeavyG
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    Thomasc18 said:
    This is pretty interesting and discusses the whole melty thing:

https://youtu.be/1cjdBAFwX1k
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,629
    Options
    That guy in the video is annoying AF.
  • PlanSB
    PlanSB Posts: 90
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Interesting.  I really like the durability aspect of it but dont know if you could get the same flavors from an aluminum cooker as you could with a ceramic. 
  • bigbadben
    bigbadben Posts: 397
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    Thomasc18 said:
    Just acid rain...
  • HeavyG
    Options
    bigbadben said:
    HeavyG said:
    Thomasc18 said:
    Just acid rain...
    That'll just give them a nice patina. :)

• Hntnhrd
    Hntnhrd Posts: 713
    Options
    :s I wonder if it would make your food taste different? Kind of like beer in Aluminum cans compared to glass bottles.  :o
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    If you keep it in proximity, you can do away with the foil hat. Dual purpose unit!
  • fishlessman
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    HeavyG said:
    Thomasc18 said:

just cause he hit the surface with a tiny hot flame doesnt mean it wont melt with an all out clean burn in there. aluminum spreads heat quickly, we weld this stuff, you need huge torches like a huge full blown lump fire. still betting they dont burn as hot as an egg with that little lower vent, put a blower on it and let it rip.  if you got a 1200 degree dome temp in there im betting you would not want to go near that thing, its gonna get hot =)
    fukahwee maine

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    Legume said:
    I'm concerned we haven't finished this discussion.  I know some of you have more to give.  Don't be shy.

Yeah, I hear ya. These threads are starting to resemble the weekly lump discussions.

Yes, BGE is a little slow with innovations.  Yes, they are the market leader.  No, I won't be buying ceramics in any color but green.  Eyes glazing over, blah, blah, blah.

Phoenix 
  • HeavyG
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    HeavyG said:
    Thomasc18 said:

just cause he hit the surface with a tiny hot flame doesnt mean it wont melt with an all out clean burn in there. aluminum spreads heat quickly, we weld this stuff, you need huge torches like a huge full blown lump fire. still betting they dont burn as hot as an egg with that little lower vent, put a blower on it and let it rip.  if you got a 1200 degree dome temp in there im betting you would not want to go near that thing, its gonna get hot =)
    How long do you think you could place the palm of your hand against the dome of your Egg @1200°F? Just curious. :)

• pgprescott
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    HeavyG said:
    HeavyG said:
    Thomasc18 said:

How long do you think you could place the palm of your hand against the dome of your Egg @1200°F? Just curious. :)

Sounds like that Raiders Of The Lost Ark scene. Ouch!
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 31,013
    Options
    Obviously BGE HQ is incredibly concerned, just look at how they Buffaloed this thread instead of letting it go on for several weeks and pages and pages of speculation.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,448
    Options
    I hope they have given this a more than passing glance.  Know yourself, know the competition and know the marketplace if you want to get/stay ahead of the game.  There may some hidden pearls in the seven pages of posts...
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • pgprescott
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    I hope they have given this a more than passing glance.  Know yourself, know the competition and know the marketplace if you want to get/stay ahead of the game.  There may some hidden pearls in the seven pages of posts...
    I agree Frank, but maybe they know lots of stuff we don't.
  • yljkt
    yljkt Posts: 799
    Options
    Legume said:
    It may be greener, but you still gotta mow it. 
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,909
    Options
    yljkt said:
    Legume said:
    It may be greener, but you still gotta mow it. 
    Or maybe their bull sh*t is a better fertilizer.
  • EGGjlmh
    EGGjlmh Posts: 816
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    HeavyG said:
    HeavyG said:
    Thomasc18 said:

Really?????  You are comparing placing your hand near an Egg with placing your hand near an aluminum grill????

Hmmmm, gee, I don't know which one will be hotter, please tell me more!!!

WOW

1MBGE 2006, 1LBGE 2010, 1 Mini Max, Fathers Day 2015