Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

yup...another 50 hour Georgia Red Wing meal!

RRP
RRP Posts: 25,887
Haven't done these recently and man-o-man were they good! The 50 hour marinade or soak like I call it was well worth the wait. Then 45 minutes indirect at 400º worked as always! WINNER WINNER CHICKEN DINNER!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• Those look really good!
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    That's a fine looking platter if wings my friend. Enjoy Ron!
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    That looks almost as good as Snor Yenom  ;)

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• That is a great lookin' platter of wings right there.
    Stillwater, MN
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    RRP said:
     The 50 hour marinade or soak 
    Ron, I'm going to try that on anus. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Your anus is going to get all red and sore looking SGH!
  • The_Stache
    The_Stache Posts: 1,153
    SGH said:
    That looks almost as good as Snor Yenom  ;)
    Ron's Money?
    Kirkland, TN
    2 LBGE, 1 MM

• Those wings do look great.  If you don't mind, would you part with the marinade recipe?  Many thanks!!
    D'you think I could interest you in a pair of zircon-encrusted tweezers?

Newtown Square, PA
  • Wow!  What is the "Georgia Red"?
    Lovin' my Large Egg since May 2012 (Richmond, VA) ... and makin' cookbooks at https://FamilyCookbookProject.com
    Stoker II wifi, Thermapen, and a Fork for plating photo purposes
  • RRP
    Those wings do look great.  If you don't mind, would you part with the marinade recipe?  Many thanks!!
    Here you go!

Georgia Red Wings 

The basis of this recipe is from a friend down in Georgia and he called them Georgia Red Wings. I have tweaked the recipe several times over the years to our liking. It seems to be popular at our local Eggfests when I make it! These are not over-powering spicy as some hot wings can be, but instead quite flavorful.  Enjoy! Ron Pratt aka RRP

INGREDIENTS:
    12 to 14 chicken wings
    .75 cup water
    1.25 cup soy sauce
    1/2 cup Texas Pete hot sauce
    1/2 cup lemon juice
    1 cup Hot and Spicy V8 juice

.50 teaspoon Dizzy Pig brand Swamp Venom dry rub

Procedure
    1. Cut the wings apart at the joints discarding the tips.

2. Thoroughly rinse the fat from the wing parts by soaking in salt water for 4 hours and then again rinsing under running water.

3. Combine marinade ingredients in a large new Zip-Loc bag (1 gallon works best) and mix well. Pour marinade over the wings in bag and then place bag in a rigid container and squeeze out air so the wings stay submerged.

4. It is best to let the wings marinate in the refrigerator at a minimum of 50 hours! Massage bag and turn at least every 12 hours for best results.

5. Remove the wings from the marinade and if you want them hotter sprinkle lightly with Swamp Venom rub. 

6. Grill indirect at 400° for 40 to 45 minutes. If using a foil covered plate setter which I prefer I find no need to turn them during the full cook. If grilling direct, only cook at 350° dome, monitor carefully and turn every 10 minutes.

• Thank you Ron.  I'll make sure to tell everyone that these are "Georgia Red Wings"!
    D'you think I could interest you in a pair of zircon-encrusted tweezers?

Newtown Square, PA
  • Looks great Ron... this does make me want to try them...
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Not sure why I haven't done these yet.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,331
    Thanks for the recipe. I'm definitely trying these on my next wing ding
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    @RRP
    I have not tried this either. I might try siraccha in this somehow as either a replacement or an add to. What do you think Ron? Thank you for sharing.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • RRP
    YukonRon said:
    @RRP
    I have not tried this either. I might try siraccha in this somehow as either a replacement or an add to. What do you think Ron? Thank you for sharing.
    whatever you want - they are your wings!
  • Looks fantastic, Ron!  :)
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • Hub
    Hub Posts: 927
    Just soaked mine with the marinade.  Gonna put them on the egg on Thursday.  I might do indirect, but I'm also thinking of putting them inside the basket and cooking them with the rotisserie. 
    Beautiful and lovely Villa Rica, Georgia
  • RRP
    Hub said:
    Just soaked mine with the marinade.  Gonna put them on the egg on Thursday.  I might do indirect, but I'm also thinking of putting them inside the basket and cooking them with the rotisserie. 
    The rotisserie idea sounds cool - Hope you post a picture of their outcome. I just prefer indirect laying there on the grill so I don't have to mess around turning them over. Otherwise direct means moving fast!
  • Recipe saved! Gonna have to try these for sure! 
  • Saved as well.  Thanks RRP.  As someone who's lived in both GA and TX, I've gotta call you out for using TEXAS Pete in a recipe named GEORGIA Red.   ;)
    Large BGE  |  Blackstone  |  Custom Dísco  |  PolyScience Discovery
    --------------------------------------------
    my Big Green Egg has saved many-a-Sunday that my Miami Dolphins attempted to ruin.
    --------------------------------------------
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,607
    It's weirder than that, I'm pretty sure Texas Pete is from NC.
  • RRP
    Legume said:
    It's weirder than that, I'm pretty sure Texas Pete is from NC.
    True! Winston-Salem, NC.
  • i am definitely going to give these a try.  thanks for posting this!!
    Go Gamecocks!!!
    1 XL, 1 MM
    Smoking in Aiken South Carolina
  • bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,726
    Those look great, just printed off the recipe!
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va

• Hub
    Hub Posts: 927
    I did my first try at these wings last night.  They were good, but not near as good looking as yours.  Not sure what I did wrong, but plan to try again.
    Beautiful and lovely Villa Rica, Georgia
  • RRP
    Hub said:
    I did my first try at these wings last night.  They were good, but not near as good looking as yours.  Not sure what I did wrong, but plan to try again.
    Looks don't necessarily mean anything. How was the taste? Was the meat tasty clear to the bone? Did you hit them with a fresh light dusting of Swamp Venom? I find a dusting on both sides too much as I don't want to burn my tongue from the exterior, but enjoy the whole eggperiece. Did you follow my 50 hour recipe or one of the others who sprang to the thread? Just trying to help. BTW my wife and I enjoyed another meal of them cold the other night so I swear they would work to take along on a summer picnic rather than support KFC! 
  • vb4677
    vb4677 Posts: 686
    I gotsta try these!

Kansas City: Too Much City for One State - Missouri side
    2 Large BGE's, Instant Pot, Anova Sous Vide, and a gas smoker...
    Barbeque, Homebrew and Blues...
  • Scott805
    Scott805 Posts: 349
    Think I will try this on chicken thighs this weekend.

Large BGE, 2 Tier Adjustable Swing Rack System, three (3) bricks from Home Depot for raised direct, Blackstone 22" Griddle - Finally have a decent cooking area!

Dallas, TX

• The_Stache
    The_Stache Posts: 1,153
    I have wings in the fridge marinating for Tuesday PM meal....  Looking forward to the cook!!
    Kirkland, TN
    2 LBGE, 1 MM